Re: is paulie the underboss?

paulie is the underboss, sil is the consiglieri. he directly says so in the eps. "all due respect" in season 6 part 1 tony tell chris that some shit between ardie and benny may never have happened if he was here taking care of his crew. and pauile was the capo of the soprano crew, paulie may not be involved in alot of the higher decisions of the family, but i bealive he is the underboss. just my thoughts

zellar1 wrote:paulie is the underboss, sil is the consiglieri. he directly says so in the eps. "all due respect" in season 6 part 1 tony tell chris that some shit between ardie and benny may never have happened if he was here taking care of his crew. and pauile was the capo of the soprano crew, paulie may not be involved in alot of the higher decisions of the family, but i bealive he is the underboss. just my thoughts
What has Tony telling Chris to take care of his crew to do with Paulie? Christopher is a capo now to and Benny is in his crew, therefore Chris is responsible for Benny.

Paulie took over the Tony Soprano-crew when Tony was made boss, and it was then renamed to the Gualtieri-crew. Later Chris took over the Gualtieri-crew and Paulie was bumped up to underboss.

In season 2 episode Big Girls don`t Cry,when Tony tells Paulie that Furio is coming over and he is getting a bump,he says the pecking order is Tony then Sil and Paulie together.He tells Paulie that Pussy and Furio et al report to Paulie and Sil.With Sil being rthe consiglere I would say Paulie is the underboss,but having viewed all the episodes many times I never actually here anyone say he is the underboss.So I guess its up to the individual to decide for himself.:icon_mrgreen:
"I`ll leave you here you one shoe cocksucker"

In season 2 when Sil and Paulie are bumped up together, I believe that Sil was given the position of consiglieri and that Paulie was given Capo over the Soprano crew (previously run by Tony and his father before him).

Paulie was not an underboss at that point just a capo. I believe the position of underboss is to basically run the day-to-day operations of the boss so that the boss can't be linked to anything illegal. As far as I can tell, there is no one that currently fits this position in the family. Tony has been grooming Chrissy for this though.

Now someone mentioned that Chris now is a captain which COULD indicate that Paulie has been given another bump up (possibly to underboss as has been discussed). But, again, he doesn't seem to have the duties that an underboss would have, as i understand the position anyway.

It is possible that Chrissy was bumped up to captain regardless of Paulie's position as captain over the Soprano crew. It almost seems as if the Soprano crew has been split. Chrissy works with Murmer, Benny, and occasionally little Paulie. Paulie, on the other hand, works with Patsy, the guy he robbed the Columbians with, little Paulie, and presumably Burt since Burt was making collections with Patsy.

So essentially I don't think this matter has been clarified one way or another. I would say that IF Paulie was bumped up to UB it was when Christopher was made captain but it's still unclear at this point.

I was wondering if anyone could answer a general question about the roles of "underboss" and "consiglieri" since there's a thread about it. How do these guys fit into the family's money making? Do they get a piece of whatever the capos earn as the boss does (presumably a much smaller piece)?

The reason I ask is that the guys who run these positions (Sil as consiglieri in Jersey or Johnny Sac as UB in NY) don't seem to have a crew working under them as a capo does. So I'm wondering how they earn their money? We know that soldiers kick up to their capo, and then that capo kicks up to the boss.

My theory is that, as I mentioned, they earn a piece of whatever the family makes as compesnation for their day-to-day duties.

I thought that maybe they also work on their own in a sense and then kick up directly to the boss, -i.e. Sil having Patsy boost the floor tiles in season 4- but i'm not sure on that.

Anyone know for sure?

skaliz wrote:What do you meen? That Paulie was bumped up to captain in season two?

I belive Paulie was already a captain and Tony bumped him up to underboss. This was at the Lou Costello memorial, when Furio arrived.

Tony said, you'r getting a bump, so if he was already a captain, what else would his title be if not underboss?

Remember, the pecking order was Tony, and Sil and Paulie together. Silvio remains consiglieri and naturally takes Tonys place when he was shot. The underboss is only a sort of middle management to make Tony safer.

Thats my theory at least :)
paulie was bump to capo in season 2
what confused you
is when tony said the peck order
is
tony

sil & paulie

also remember when chris was made in season 3 Paulie was his capo
also remember in season 4 when paulie was in the can Chris was made acting capo

paulie is still a capo
the sopranos family has no underboss

tony was grooming chris to take over
sil is tony consiliere

I've heard that before, that Paulie was the underboss. I don't think they ever mentioned it on the show though. Sil is the number 2 though as consigliere thus the one in charge when Tony was out of commision.
In the episode in season 2 when they brought Furio in and Pussy was being faded out, Tony did say the pecking order was him, then Sil and Paulie together. But we all know Silvio is a lot smarter and has more of level head than Paulie.
I think maybe "Underboss" maybe just a fancy title, that really doesn't hold much weight. Kind of like how Junior was still technically boss of the family, even though Tony was really boss.

In season one Tony was technically a Capo and Junior became boss after Jackie died. Even though Tony was boss secretly, the technical titles still applied. Paulie was simply part of Tony's crew.

In season 1"The legend of Tennessee Moltisante", Chris tells Paulie "Every great character has an arc. Where's my arc?" Paulie responds "I've got no arc. Here I am, half-a-wiseguy." Half-a-Wiseguy would not imply Captain.

I speculate that Silvio was a Captain under Jackie, but I could be wrong. He does talk about being offered the boss position after Jackie's death.

Even the Feds at the end of season 1 scratch out 'Capo' on Tony's name and change it to 'Street Boss'. Maybe this is technically 'Underboss'.

My guess would be Tony is the underboss until Junior's house arrest, or maybe even until Junior's trip to the psych ward.

Whatever the case, the Feds and the Mob definitly have different perspectives on this.

In Season 1, Tony was a Capo. As you said, Junior was made the nominal Boss by the episode "Pax Soprana", but still, Junior was in a position where he made most of the family decisions (Tony just altered them). For example, Junior wanted to tax Hesh, he taxed Hesh. Tony was only able to manipulate it slightly and lower the Tax figure.
Silvio was most likely a soldier in Tony's crew. The capos of the family at the time were Tony, Junior (before Jackie died), Jimmy Altieri, Ray Curto and Larry Boy Barese. Oddly, there was no Acting Capo for the Aprile crew.

When Junior is named Boss, Jackie's title card is removed and Junior's is replaced as Boss. Tony remains a Capo according to the FBI. Junior had his own underboss, Joseph "Beppy" Sasso, who we didn't see much of because he was sick.

This is how the Administration of the Family looked after Junior was made Boss:

Corrado "Junior" Soprano
Boss

Joseph "Beppy" Sasso
Underboss

Michael "Mikey Grab Bag" Palmice
Consigliere

Now, the Administration of the Family is:

Tony Soprano
Boss

Paulie Gualtieri
Underboss

Silvio Dante
Consigliere

Chris is Capo of the crew that was once Paulie's crew and Tony's before him.

Johnny Boy Soprano
Capo, 19xx-1986

Tony Soprano
Capo, 1986-2000

Paulie Gualtieri
Capo, 2000-2005

Christopher Moltisanti
Capo, 2005-present

Return to “Sopranos FAQ”