Re: How do we Keep This Site Going After the Finale?

a suggestion from dad1153:
My suggestion to keep this place interesting after "The Sopranos" ends. Let's talk about the finale for a month or so and then, every Sunday at 9PM for the next few months/years (with holiday weekends excluded), let's have a General Discussion of a "Sopranos" episode in chronological order but with the knowledge gained from how the show ended fueling our analysis of such episode. Starting with the pilot and then every episode after that, let's re-enact as best we can those wonderful, deep and erudite dissections of a "Sopranos" episode we've been having as of late using the knowledge acquired from seeing the entirety of the series. "College," from example, will be interesting to dissect and analyze knowing how the whole Meadow saga ends in a couple of weeks. I hope Fly considers this idea, likes it and (if she chooses to go with it) promotes the hell out of it in the next couple of weeks when The Chase Lounge will still have a substantial number of casual readers. After the casuals leave I'm not sure if interest amongst the faithful will be strong enough to keep the fire of reviewing old "Sopranos" episodes as if they were new will be known outside of a small circle. The time to promote a discussion schedule for old episode is NOW.

Some thoughts from Splishak:
One thought that I had was that it would be nice to have a place that was clearly designated an "Off Topic" or "Lounge" type forum where people could post about anything they wanted - mostly it tends to be about current events or politics (but politics is usually best kept in a separate place), or just what's happening in their lives. I've always felt that the "Meet Market" was a place we were expected to post about meeting other people and somewhat in the context of The Sopranos. I've often wanted to discuss items in the news (like today's story in Drudge about how the music industry is screwed over falling CD sales), but the "Off Topic" forum at most boards are overwhelmed by kids or people just wanting to make waves. It would be great to discuss some issues with serious adults who were willing to be serious (like here on this board).

It would be nice to have a section clearly identified as a kind of Lounge where people could post about most anything. If I've misunderstood any aspect of this board, I surely do apologize and please feel free to correct me.

Another thought I had was that it might seem hollow somehow to pick another TV program and try to switch over to discussing that. I think any other TV program would fall far short compared to The Sopranos. But maybe if we focused on a development company like HBO, it might be better. After all, HBO seems to be dedicated to producint quality shows and we are seeing the decline of network TV in favor of things like HBO or distribution mediums that offer HBO shows. In addition, it seems to be that HBO might be open to participating in some way with a fan base (though I have no idea of exactly in which way). But just consider how much better the discusions we've been having about TS would have been if Chase Films had given us some kind of support - maybe even just allowing us to submit a few questions each week. After all, they do sit for interviews by news organizations, why wouldn't they be willing to do something for their fans? It wouldn't cost much to ask them.

My own thought involves discussion of the movies included in the episodes. Once we know the fate of Tony, his crew and his family, we can then go back, watch the films referenced in each episode (either actually appearing on the television or alluded to by speech or conduct) and devote our attention to discussing their significance to the overall program. I guess it would sort of be like Oprah's Book of the Month club. :icon_wink:

billymac wrote:My own thought involves discussion of the movies included in the episodes. Once we know the fate of Tony, his crew and his family, we can then go back, watch the films referenced in each episode (either actually appearing on the television or alluded to by speech or conduct) and devote our attention to discussing their significance to the overall program. I guess it would sort of be like Oprah's Book of the Month club. :icon_wink:
I like all the ideas but this one is something I would love to take part in.

Question: Where would we draw the line on such a thing? I could argue all day that Ingmar Bergman's dream scenes are a huge influence on Chase. As well as blocking, camerawork, etc. Yet, I would think that's taking it a bit to extreme and it would lose the interest of the sane board members who have no interest watching depressing Swedish movies from the 60s. Maybe, I'll ask Chase about I.B. at the conference?

Anyway, A film that I do think should be considered but is only hinted at is Miller's Crossing. I believe this was brought up last year when we discussed "Luxury Lounge." The scene where Vito kills the innocent old man is a direct reference to this movie. Steve Buscemi(the episode's director) was being very self-referential here, as he was in the film and was in one of the scenes that is being referenced. Buscemi's character in Miller's Crossing is more then likely homosexual but it's his supposed lover that makes it even more interesting as that guy is a total street tough mafia thug.

Speaking of Oprah's book of the month club. A thread on "The Art of War" and strategy in general would be awesome. It would be something that could evolve if we were to do a coordinated rewatch of the series. Picking apart where Tony goes right or wrong. Might be interesting to consider Melfi's involvement in giving him this book. As we all know, she has helped him be a better boss.

The strategy/"Art of War" angle could be fleshed out to include the Godfather films as well. Lots of good stuff to discuss!!!!

Suggestion for new post-ending threads

I would like to suggest in the continuation of this website/forum, a new area as to how what we would have like to seen The Sopranos be different from what it was as to story lines, cast, characters and so on. Over the years in this and other forums with this series, we have formed many critizisms such as the whole Vito-gay storyline, loose ends never resolved, to how characters were depicted, and what we would have preferred to have seen or not or done differently. I think it could give a lively area of discussion of interest of our fellow posters and an excellent way to continue this website for a while.

One thing that might help this site to stay active after the finale is a section called "Off Topic" where people can discuss issues of the day. For example:

I am really pissed about Paris Hilton and would like to start a thread to discuss it. But I can't see where to do that. Can any of the mods move this post or start a thread somewhere to discuss it? Maybe we could use a new forum called "Off Topic"? or the "Water Cooler" or something like that?

The thing that has me hopping mad is that originally she was going to spend 23 days in a county jail. But now, after she was placed on house arrest with an ankle bracelet, the judge orders her to spend 45 days in a jail. It wasn't her fault that the sherrif changed her sentence from 23 days in jail to 40 days house arrest. So why should she be made to pay this extra penalty going from 23 days in jail to 40 days in jail?

I have no special feeling for Paris Hilton one way or the other. But it's just not right to jerk around anyone like this.

By the way, I wonder what would have happened if she had just kept her door locked and refused to answer when the sherrif came to pick her up. I mean, she was bound to stay in her house under "house arrest" for 40 days. But I'm not sure she had any obligation to answer her door when people knock. I wonder how long it would have taken for the sherrif to have gotten a warrant to break down her door and whether her lawyer would have then had a chance to fight the warrant and maybe get an injunction to stop them. I sure would have tried to get my lawyer involved to stop that bullshit from happening.

Splishak wrote:One thing that might help this site to stay active after the finale is a section called "Off Topic" where people can discuss issues of the day. For example:

I am really pissed about Paris Hilton and would like to start a thread to discuss it. But I can't see where to do that. Can any of the mods move this post or start a thread somewhere to discuss it? Maybe we could use a new forum called "Off Topic"? or the "Water Cooler" or something like that?
We have an Off Topic area - it called The Meet Market (where you posted your previous message.)
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Return to “Request a Sitdown (Pre-2016)”