Re: How do we Keep This Site Going After the Finale?

Although it was caused by an undesired event, it was nice to see a temporary resurgence of this site when James Gandolfini passed on.
Now, however, with only 20 "active members" and minimal to no new posts, it appears the Family is approaching its last breath (and before I can be "made":icon_cry: .

Wish we could pump some life back into it but I know most have naturally exhausted their interest (though not their love) and moved on.

Thanks and appreciation to Fly, the creator, and the fantastic core members who made this a wonderful forum of expression and sharing; great reading and a worthy tribute to the phenomenal show.

Billyv, post away. You will be made yet!:icon_mrgreen:

You are quite right in terms of my own lack of posting the last few years. The show will always occupy an exalted and special place in my heart because of all it meant to me. But my life has changed immensely since 2007 (and the show had a LOT to do with preparing me to make those changes.) My priorities are now on personal growth and trying to figure out what the intensity of the past few years has been leading me towards in this next phase of my life.

One of the big changes is a desire to transcend the very negativity, hopelessness, and cynicism that once so attracted me to The Sopranos. The pronounced pessimism that marked Tony and so many of the characters, while it resonated very much with my upbringing and world view throughout most of my life, I now find highly oppressive, and that's one of the reasons I don't really want to watch the show these days.

Right now I'm heavily immersed in creating a website (finally, after years of putting it off) for my film/video production enterprise. There is a small, odd Sopranos tie-in to that enterprise that I intend to "advertise" here when the site is ready to go public. I think it's something all those die hards that still check in here will enjoy. At least I hope so.:icon_smile:
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:Okay, hopefully I've traced the problem to a too restrictive "throttle policy" set for the site. I've relaxed those restrictions and that should solve the problem. I didn't experience any failures in randomly clicking around at a pretty good pace. But please keep me informed if you guys (or anyone else) continues to experience issues. Thanks again.
I still get the problem, but going back and trying again, three times, finally lets me post. They say third time's the charm ;)

Well, after a brief honeymoon in which it seemed things were solved, I'm getting it too. This is after spending nearly an hour in a chat support with my hosting service and me expressing grave doubt (at first) at his diagnosis that the "throttle" policy was the culprit. I hadn't changed a single host setting since the site was built, and that meant the same policy was in place the night of the finale, when over 1700 users were simultaneously accessing the site, and, other than modestly delayed page loads, there were no ill effects.

Something's amiss, but I have no idea what, and I'm so slammed right now trying to finish a couple of different projects that I don't know when I can take the time to get someone from my hosting service to track down the issue. I'm not experiencing anything like this at the site I'm building, and they are both hosted with the same company, albeit on different servers.

I have a creeping feeling that I'm either going to have to move to another host or change/update my forum software, and none of those are options that, timewise, I'm anxious to undertake.:mad:
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:Billyv, post away. You will be made yet!:icon_mrgreen:

You are quite right in terms of my own lack of posting the last few years. The show will always occupy an exalted and special place in my heart because of all it meant to me. But my life has changed immensely since 2007 (and the show had a LOT to do with preparing me to make those changes.) My priorities are now on personal growth and trying to figure out what the intensity of the past few years has been leading me towards in this next phase of my life.

One of the big changes is a desire to transcend the very negativity, hopelessness, and cynicism that once so attracted me to The Sopranos. The pronounced pessimism that marked Tony and so many of the characters, while it resonated very much with my upbringing and world view throughout most of my life, I now find highly oppressive, and that's one of the reasons I don't really want to watch the show these days.

Right now I'm heavily immersed in creating a website (finally, after years of putting it off) for my film/video production enterprise. There is a small, odd Sopranos tie-in to that enterprise that I intend to "advertise" here when the site is ready to go public. I think it's something all those die hards that still check in here will enjoy. At least I hope so.:icon_smile:
Fly:
It's great to know that you are experiencing personal growth and are productively engaged, post-Sopranos.
Although the characters weren't the most deserving examples of human beings, I loved their humanity and rarely rooted for their punishment. I'm glad you, at least, emerged unscathed and with some positive impetus.
You've given and contributed so much here to the enjoyment and intellectual stimulation of others that there's no reason to expect or request for you to do more. Like David Chase and other great creators it's been time for you to move on, though its wonderful that you still monitor the site, attend to issues, and take the time to respond and comment.
Anytime I drop by, there are always a few guests taking a look.

As for the minor problems some have experienced navigating the site, I don't encounter it constantly but sometimes find quicker success with double-clicking the links. As Sopranology notes, a little persistence is the key, and the reading and experiences here are well worth the effort. No worries; if it was perfect it wouldn't accurately reflect Tony or his world:icon_smile:

G-Money13 wrote:I agree. Just when I should be getting my button. I'm the real deal and can pick apart my enemies. You can trace my connections to this thing beyond the old country.
G-Money, you sound like Tony in the first episode, worried that he came in too late for the glory days, that he came in at the end.:icon_mrgreen:

Your comments much appreciated, Billyv. Yes, it's a struggle right now because I'm just not a multi-tasker by nature -- tunnel vision. And right now, my vision is on my own film work and it's very hard for me to think about interrupting that for the length of time that might be necessary to swing a complete forum software shift and cosmetic overhaul. If I had the money, I'd just hire someone to do it for me. But I can't justify the expense right now with so much else needing $.

Rest assured, however, even if it may take longer than I'd like to get it done, the site will be overhauled to mitigate the technical issues and, if necessary, moved to another host. I didn't keep it open this long to let it go gently into that good night.:-)

Return to “Request a Sitdown (Pre-2016)”