In new article, Chase says Tony is not dead...

Thought folks around here might like to read this recent article about Chase in which he answers a question many around here have pondered since the screen went to black:

Read it here

Money quote, when Chase was asked the inevitable question, Is Tony dead? the writer reports: “He shook his head ‘no.’ And he said simply, ‘No he isn’t.’”

The rest of the article is quite interesting as well, looking at not just the end of the series, the various dreams within it, and the rest of Chase's career and future. Enjoy
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Re: In new article, Chase says Tony is not dead...

Great article. He did follow up in variety with a bit of a retraction. "Irregardless" good to see him in the news.

David Chase Says Tony Soprano Quote Was ‘Misconstrued’

David Chase on Tony Soprano Death
August 27, 2014 | 05:06PM PT

Alex Stedman

News Editor, Variety.com

@a_sted

“Sopranos” creator David Chase has responded to the Vox story that went viral on Wednesday as it claims Chase finally revealed that Tony Soprano had lived at the end of the HBO drama, saying that the author of the story “misconstrued” his answer.

“A journalist for Vox misconstrued what David Chase said in their interview,” reads a statement issued by Chase’s rep, Leslee Dart. “To simply quote David as saying, ‘Tony Soprano is not dead,’ is inaccurate. There is a much larger context for that statement and as such, it is not true.

As David Chase has said numerous times on the record, ‘Whether Tony Soprano is alive or dead is not the point.’ To continue to search for this answer is fruitless. The final scene of ‘The Sopranos’ raises a spiritual question that has no right or wrong answer.”

The author of the lengthy Vox story writes that Chase lashed out after being asked whether or not famous mob boss was dead, but gave him a straight-forward answer.

“We were in a tiny coffee shop, when, in the middle of a low-key chat about a writing problem I was having, I popped the question,” reads the article. “Chase startled me by turning toward me and saying with sudden, explosive anger, ‘Why are we talking about this?’ I answered, ‘I’m just curious.’ And then, for whatever reason, he told me. [...]

He shook his head ‘no.’ And he said simply, ‘No he isn’t.’ That was all.”

The final fate of Tony Soprano has gone down as one of the biggest mysteries in TV, as the finale of the influential HBO hit left the gangster, played by the late James Gandolfini, on a cliffhanger.

Filed Under:
David Chase,
James Gandolfini,
The Sopranos

Follow @Variety on Twitter for breaking news, reviews and more

I was pretty vocal that the whole "did he die" question just never really interested me. I got into a few debates back in the day, but mostly because I was trying to moderate tempers on the board and resented the way a few people wanted to shove the view down the throats of others that "he absolutely died no question about it and if you don't see that you're stupid/blind/undiscerning". I'm still not intrigued by the question, especially after James Gandolfini died because any impact the answer would have had on the possibility of some future Sopranos film or sequel (at least one involving Tony) is moot.

But I really think Chase is genuinely in the same boat as I am. He clearly wanted to raise the specter of the kind of death Tony's choices made him highly likely to reap, but I don't think he was at all interested in portraying an objectively definitive answer as to whether he died that particular night. And I think Chase is fanatical about empowering the viewer in an interactive way, letting them draw their own interpretations and conclusions without being dictated to by a "supreme authority" because, like most great artists, he is quite sensitive to the power of the collective unconscious and the notion that his conscious intentions as a creator do not fully define the parameters of truth that his created work contains.

When you put that together with his tendency toward ruthless, borderline cruel honesty (some of the stories that have emerged about his relations with co-writers are telling), you get the kind of annoyed, condescending tone that comes across at times when people don't "get" that they are the ones with the power to answer the question they're asking of him.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

I think Fly provides a clear and eloquent explanation of what is likely Chases' attitude and I appreciate her sharing of this. But I also agree with Sopranology and believe Chase is being immature and unreasonable in his resentment of the question. The structure of the ending, and an examination and consideration of the whole of what precedes it - which Chase encourages - make it a natural and obvious question. Not necessarily one that precludes or supercedes an appreciation for and a quest for understanding the complexities and themes of the work or one that excruciatingly demands or expects a definitive answer, but certainly one that most would ponder, at least for a moment, and certainly one more pertinent than the fate of the Russian.
I'm not saying Chase has to answer the question but he should expect it and shouldn't be angry, condescending and defensive about it.

I also refer back to my first post in this thread which suggested that Chase could simply reply "I don't know" or "I'm not sure." At some point, he had a fleeting glimpse of how he should end the story and he put forth great effort under that inspiration to capture and portray whatever that vision was. Subsequently, whatever understanding or grasp of the vision or concept has dissipated somewhat and cannot be explained in words. Perhaps he, too is unable to conclude with certainty what the "proper" interpretation or meaning is, and as Fly and others suggest there probably is no "right or wrong" and any attempt to explain can only be convoluted, incomplete, further confusing and frustrating for all.
Accept the art as it is and appreciate whatever thought and feelings it invokes, often differing and changing from moment to moment, affected by the perspective and composition of the viewer, which is also momentary.
(What? Shoot Tony! Shoot Chase! Shoot the audience! "Exterminate the brutes" for the limitations of their words, their abilities to understand and explain, for the limitations of being human.)

Well, I'm with you Billyv, in that Chase's irritability at the question (among other questions over the years that elicited his condescension) indicts his own level of psycho-spiritual maturity. I don't get the sense that he would be an easy person to relate to -- fascinating, but probably not easy -- especially if you are outside a circle of very trusted family and friends. But I'll cut him some slack, as I try to do with everyone, since I have plenty of growing left to do myself.:icon_lol:
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

I've said for some time that I think Chase wants to have his cake and eat it too. What was so surprising this time was that he "slipped up" if you will and actually answered the question, causing him to have to backtrack. I've always been perfectly happy with the ambiguity we were left with and it certainly caused much discussion about his creation. I suppose that's what he'd rather have anyway.

I was actually more taken with the dream discussion from the article as well as the former directors words about working on the show. The "did he or didn't he" bit was just an added bonus, or albatross if you are Chase. :wink:
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Return to “Sopranos in the News”