Re: Biggest Soprano topic in 5 years

Enjoyed the article. Like how Edie Falco & James Gandolfini still have this protective, loving relationship as if they actually are Tony & Carmella.

And the takes on the finale. Funny how even among the cast & writers there are still varying takes on what it meant. To me it hammers home that ambiguity was the whole point of the scene.

And Chase really wanted Steve Van Zandt as Tony Soprano? Wow, talk about having faith in someone with no experience to that point.

AJColossal wrote:And the takes on the finale. Funny how even among the cast & writers there are still varying takes on what it meant. To me it hammers home that ambiguity was the whole point of the scene.

Yes the scene was ambiguous, in an ambiguous way. Chase as usual was his enigmatic self when he responded about the ending. He chose instead to talk about whether the Sopranos was a drama or comedy.

After five years the one definite conclusion anyone can make is that the show is over. Talk about movie sequels, now appear to be wishful thinking.

As far as the final scene is concerned, there was an ostensible ambiguity which might have disguised Chase's intent. Like an episode of the Twilight Zone the indicators become clear after the denoument.

But on the surface there was no denoument. No closure.

And the article reminds us, that was chiefly a complaint.

Chase himself has said, unambiguously about not hearing it when it happens. Perhaps as far as he is concerned, Tony's fate is clear.

It is understandable for a viewer to want to believe otherwise. There are indicators that Tony would end up like Johnny Sack (or Ercole DiMeo who is never seen or is heard of again) and spend the rest of his life in prison.

He might have lived on after Holsten's but be stuck in a cycle of constantly looking over his shoulder.

Or he might have ended up like Phil Leotardi and be gunned down in front of his family.

That probably is the easy or uncomplicated (facile?) answer - to allow the audience to pick the ending.

However the only way one can categorically say Tony lived is when Chase decides to make a sequel starring James Gandolfini as Tony Soprano.

Otherwise the universe in which Tony Soprano lived in ceased to exist the moment it cut to black.

But then did it ever exist in the first place.

Thanks for the tip, bloodshot. I hate to admit that I still haven't read the original article.:icon_redface: But I do have a kindle, so this is a perfect way to have it with me sometime when I'm waiting for an oil change or a doctor's appointment. And if it's an expanded version of the original article, all the better.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

I read the original article and purchased the extended article.

If you read the original, then I think you're missing really only a couple stories, but it's worth the $1.99 either way.

Fly, you'll enjoy it. Even though I voraciously read everything I could about the show during it's run, there were definitely a few accounts/items that I had never heard before.

Return to “Sopranos in the News”