Simmons: Vote on Best Series of the Decade - Sopranos vs The

Bill Simmons, while mostly a sportswriter, also has a fondness for pop culture and has been running a vote for a few weeks on the best film and best TV series of the decade. Currently, our personal love here is lagging behind The Wire (which while I understand it being a good show, do not think it is better than The Sopranos. :icon_wink: )

Head over there and lend your vote: http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/poll?event_id=3866
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Re: Bill Simmons, The Sports Guy: Vote on Best Series of the

While I really should not let such things matter to me, it does . . . a little bit.:icon_biggrin: So I voted.

I get a tad (touchy? competitive?) if a series with a serious reputation, like The Wire, is elevated (or put on par, frankly) with the Sopranos. I mean, if someone was trying to say Sex and the City or Desperate Housewives was better, I'd just let it go. But if someone mentions The Wire, I want to really defend because, as good as I found the season and a half of that show that I watched, at no time did I ever think it came close to the Sopranos in terms of visual/literary artistry, character construction, and overall brilliance. I still think the Sopranos is easily in a class by itself.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Re: Bill Simmons, The Sports Guy: Vote on Best Series of the

Don't know if you've read any of his (Simmons) other stuff, Fly but he writes a lot of basketball material that you might appreciate.

And I know what you mean, and I AM defensive when any other show is compared. There really hasn't ever been a television show that spoke to me as much as this one did. Hard to think any other could beat it out (and especially The Wire, who many people like, but like you, I was just never able to get into it.)

EDIT - Hopefully getting some of our folks over there will help the voting numbers since the Wire was winning at last pass.
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Re: Simmons: Vote on Best Series of the Decade - Sopranos vs

I watched The Wire. Out of the five seasons, I think two of them are horrible (4 and 5). Compare that to the stellar six seasons of The Sopranos. The writing in The Wire is significantly worse, in my opinion. The show also lacks artistry. There's not a single episode in the entire series where I was thinking "Hey, this is some great direction!" or "Wow! Great cinematography!". I've thought that multiple times in regards to The Sopranos.

On another note, I can't believe that 24 and Lost made the poll. Those are both horrible shows.
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1F9AC409DECF0F65

Re: Simmons: Vote on Best Series of the Decade - Sopranos vs

Irish, season 4 of the Wire was the one that got me watching. I had seen bits and pieces before but nothing that made it appointment television for me. Season 4, on the other hand, grabbed me pretty much right off the bat. Still haven't seen enough of the entire series to say what point was my favorite, but I do agree that season 4 was very good.

Still, Sopranos is in another league for me.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Return to “Sopranos in the News”