Blu Ray

I know a lot of members have been waiting for the Blu Ray releases of the big Xmas package. No word on that yet, but they are starting to release back at the beginning-Season One. A possible interesting highlight, the story attached mentions it comes in at 780 minutes. The Cd release was 680 min. My hope is that it's not a misprint but an actual attempt at placing 100 more minutes somewhere. Any heres the article:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sopranos-Season-1-Blu/11856

The Sopranos - Be a Wise Guy: Place Your Pre-Order Now for a Fall Season 1 Blu-ray Release
No release date yet, but Amazon is taking pre-orders for a high-def version of the first season
Posted by David Lambert
5/08/2009

Meet Tony Soprano: your average, middle-aged businessman. Tony's got a dutiful wife. A not-so-dutiful daughter. A son named Anthony Jr. A mother he's trying to coax into a retirement home. A hot-headed uncle. A not-too-secret mistress. And a shrink to tell all his secrets, except the one she already knows: Tony's a mob boss.
Amazon.com has begun taking pre-orders for The Sopranos - The Complete 1st Season on Blu-ray Disc. This listing of a high-def release is prior to HBO Video's official announcement for the title, so instead of a street date it only says "This title has not yet been released. You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives." Pricing is available, however, at $79.98 SRP (and you can lock in your copy at a nice discount if you place your order now). It also mentions a running time of 780 minutes, but that first digit might be a typo since the running time of the DVD release (from the year 2000) is 680 minutes.

Despite this being a first-season release, it's actually not the first time HBO has released The Sopranos on high-def Blu-ray Discs. In 2006 and 2007 the studio released the sixth and final season of the show on the then-new BD format, split into a Part 1 collection and a Part 2 collection (which was also done with the DVD format releases of those titles). They've just been needing to go back and fill in the unreleased seasons, and this is the natural place to start!

There are no other details available for the Season 1 set so far, however, nor cover art. We've heard that the studio has not locked down a specific street date yet, but could be looking at the month of September right now as a possible timeframe. However, that could still change. Stay tuned, though, and we'll update you further on this title, just as soon as we find out more!

Re: Blue Ray

sopranology wrote:I was hoping they'd just do the complete series blu-ray set and be done with it. If they try to release one of those after milking us over a couple years buying the individual sets, well......fuhgeddaboudit.:icon_cool:

I was hoping for this as well. But it makes too much sense economically for HBO to not go this route. Here they can release each season, maybe 6 months after one another, and then wait a bit longer and release another huge Blu-Ray complete boxed set. The real question is do I have the patience to wait. As I already have all the seasons. I have to draw the line somewhere, I am ok with double dipping on something that I love as much as Sopranos. But double dipping knowing full well that a larger blu-ray set is in the works further down the line?

But then again, I kind of want to support HBO's blu-ray line, so we get plenty of their other series (Carnivale, Six Feet Under, Deadwood) released on Blu also. (Oh and for those interested a double pack of Rome was just announced for Blu-ray)

Re: Blue Ray

Definitely interested in both.

A double pack of Rome? Count me in- i consider it one of the best historical dramas i've ever seen of that time-period. Does a great job of dramatizing and explaining the historical origin of what we now call Longshormen/Teamsters- how they evolved from the guilds and collectives formed while ex-Roman soldiers were protecting ports and the transfer of goods in the evolving economy of ancient Rome, and how all that eventually becomes the connection to modern-day mobsters. Made me understand more of why the mob exists now, and how its roots are so important to understanding the present from the past.

The very best ancient Roman time-period historical drama, however, was "I, Claudius". Superb. For its type of audience, as compelling as the Sopranos, in my view.

Return to “Sopranos in the News”