Re: Chase spills the beans in new interview?

turangawaewae wrote:To be honest, this interview has really bought home to me how over the ending I am. It bought home to me that there is going to be no more slants, angles or information revealed by Chase. It will be the same old information, and the same discussions reconstituted. Tht doesn't mean of course that every body else has to be over it, and by all means debate away. The issue I had was with all roads leading to Rome. All threads turning into Tony died debates. This of course makes it hard to ignore Silvio, when threads used to keep being directed down a different track by posters.

I don't know if it is Christmas, but the momentum of the site seems to have slowed of late. Apart from the motorcycle thread, and the latest regurgitation of the ending debates, I don't remember anything of substance being discussed for a while. Maybe it's the recession. Remember when the mob used to be recession proof??

I

Frankly and with all due respect turangawaewae, your comments sound to me like you're being a sore loser. The topic to you is no longer worth discussing because you have not liked the way it has turned out, i.e. with words from Chase that support a position that you don't agree with.

By the way, this is new information. Chase has neverdiscussed the Baccala line as a hint towards the end until that interview. He has also never tied that line into the Silvio dinner scene. This is all new. You simply can't wish it away because it may go against your position.

CamMan wrote:Frankly and with all due respect turangawaewae, your comments sound to me like you're being a sore loser. The topic to you is no longer worth discussing because you have not liked the way it has turned out, i.e. with words from Chase that support a position that you don't agree with.

By the way, this is new information. Chase has neverdiscussed the Baccala line as a hint towards the end until that interview. He has also never tied that line into the Silvio dinner scene. This is all new. You simply can't wish it away because it may go against your position.

Camman, your position that I have "lost" confirms that you never saw this as a discussion on interpretations, but rather a case or position (that Tony died) to win or lose. ie You have already made your position, and are now going to defend it. Thats a shame, but each to his own.

As for Chase discussing the Bacala line, I have never denied the link between that scene and the final scene. I have always agreed that link was there, so I don't see Chase confirming it as any new information. I have always maintained it may have pointed toward Tony's death, or it may have been a way of allowing us to experience the everyday tension of Tony's life, or it may have just been a tool to create the tension Chase wanted at the end. But my view has always been a mature one, that there are many possible interpretations, not a "position" to win or lose.

But here we are again, discussing the end on an endless roundabout, which was the whole point of my post!! Thanks you for reinforcing my point!! Irishwiseguy has some good advice. Get off the couch, stop worrying about the end of the Sopranos, and look at our own lives....

conkom wrote:Excellent post! And a good catch on our intruding in the life of a gangster.

The hardest thing for a lot of us was letting go and our reluctance in believing that 1. Tony dies. 2. The show is over.

Your reflection is given more weight by Chase's comments about the fans who cheered Tony when he killed, but wanted to actually see him killed in the ultimate pay-off.

"[/I]

I agree with Irishwiseguy when he stated there were many interpretations. So for "a lot of us" Tony hasn't necessarily died. However, it is time to move on from a fictional construct, and get off the couch as Chase said. Nice post Irish.

CamMan wrote:Frankly and with all due respect turangawaewae, your comments sound to me like you're being a sore loser. The topic to you is no longer worth discussing because you have not liked the way it has turned out, i.e. with words from Chase that support a position that you don't agree with.

By the way Camman, I fail to see how I can ever "lose" a discussion, when I say the piece of art is open to interpretation, and Chase says exactly the same thing pretty much IN AS MANY WORDS (But I notice you haven't posted a transcript of that!!).

Wahooo, that should be my soldier ranking. I'm taking some Irish advice.

A good way to get closure (it was for me anyway), is to look through the thread which billymac started, where people introduced themselves as they joined the site (all 21 pages). It's a bit like on Survivor, when the final three collect the torches of the past contestants and burn them!!

You read how passionate these people were about the Sopranos, but that the vast majority have since disengaged from contributing to the site. I feel they got up off the couch. IMO, those that are left are those that came late to the site (I include myself here), those that are VERY VERY VERY VERY passionate about the Sopranos, and those that see the Tony died argument as an entrenched view, which must be "defended and won" at all costs.

I believe that the latter group wil always exist, and will always have the need to defend their position (It's been 18 months already for pities sake!!) against members of the first two groups. I have no desire to participate in that process any longer.

I'm taking Irishwiseguys advice. Badabell, you have my email if there is ever an interesting line of thought which springs up, not revolving around the ending.

But the car is packed with my wife, child and dog. (Yes I am literally typing this with them waiting in the car!!). We are off the couch on an adventure for a couple of months (you can afford do take the time to do that when you work in academia!!). The log out button is about to be clicked. All that will be left after this message is a screen of

Well, these are just fantastic posts! Now i am hoping that those of you who have found some sort of peace about the ending due to this latest interview information will not just drop out of the other threads, because there is still so much of interest to discuss besides the interpretation of the ending. At least to me.

Irish had a great post- which i partly disagree with, since because Tony and AJ had a discussion of 'remember the good times', etc.- i got the feeling that Tony had changed, improved. He spent over six seasons in therapy attempting to change and improve in "small steps" per Chase. The whole show was about Tony's feeble attempts to change, including mostly his failures. But he did have some successes.

Not sure why when after somehow knowing Tony's fate more definitively (to some), then that somehow means those same people lose interest in the rest of it all. Don't take me wrong- i'm happy for you to have found this resolution you were seeking. To me, even if Chase had said directly verbatim that "Tony was whacked"- my response is- "so what"! That night or some later night, by whacking or by heart attack. What is the big deal?

So now what? That's it?! What about the self-reflection from the black TV screen that Irish so brilliantly described. Does it not result in some sort of revelation or change- new insights to other topics besides the ending? And Turangawaewae- what about the Game Theory-Economist's view of Tony's strategy? It's not directly about the ending, so why not stay involved or interested in that thread (you started)? I thought that was a really worthy topic, and i am just getting into understanding it. And now all the New Zealand/Aussie economists seem to be bailing out!

It's hard for me to understand why the ending interpretation has so much power over anyone's interest in understanding the rest of the show. Its all good to me, all interesting. I could never lose interest in discussing the Sopranos any more than i could ever lose interest in Shakespeare, Twilight Zone, Mozart, Opera, Kandinsky's abstract expressionism, Van Gogh, Picasso, the great religions or Italian food!

It almost sounds from the tone of some of these exchanges that some people want to leap off their couch or computer and never return again! Of course, a break is always in order for anyone at anytime, even a permanent break- but i sure do hope to see 'All a Yous' back again! :icon_biggrin:

turangawaewae wrote:
...those that are VERY VERY VERY VERY passionate about the Sopranos, and those that see the Tony died argument as an entrenched view, which must be "defended and won" at all costs.

I believe that the latter group wil always exist, and will always have the need to defend their position (It's been 18 months already for pities sake!!) against members of the first two groups. I have no desire to participate in that process any longer.

Very disingenuous comment, especially the bit about virulently "defending at all costs" a pretty "entrenched view".

But who knows it might just be part of a grand game theory strategy.:icon_wink:

Listening to the interview again one gets the sense that the interviewer Belzer himself comes to realise that there was nothing ambiguous about the ending when Chase revealed the connection and significance of Bobby's comments and the shooting scene in a restaurant. I am not sure where Chase says that the ending is open to interpretation:
turangawaewae wrote:IN AS MANY WORDS
...but it isn't at all apparent in the interview in question.

There are winners in this debate. Some have been quite good in this, richieaprile, silviomancini, harpo on the Tony was 86ed side and richjcrouche and flyonmelfiswall on he probably wasn't or can be read either way.

And there have been some dreadful losers along the way from both sides of the divide, who each seem to forget that this was after all a work of fiction albeit a brilliant one.

In the end Irishwiseguy made the last great post which best put everything in its proper perspective.

Like kiwifan I really need to let go of this as well. But I have no ambition in making soldier.

In this respect I like to wish everyone, from all the families, a safe and happy holiday and hope that you all get a Sopranos boxset in your stocking.

Return to “Sopranos in the News”