Chase spills the beans in new interview?

For some reason my browser will not play this radio interview Richard Belzer did with David Chase on Air America radio. Below is the transcription but I don't know if it's the whole interview. It was posted on another Sopranos site.

R.Belzer: I was working with Steve Schirripa recently, we were judging Last Coming Standing for NBC and we were talking about a lot of things and he was saying he heard all of these theories for the show that had nothing to do with your intention and wasn’t anything the actors thought, like little hints along the way, like a word, like when Tony and Steve are on the boat at the lake and they say “‘you never know its gonna happen” or “you never know its gonna hit you”…

D.Chase: That was part of the ending.

R.Belzer: Oh, it was? see, what do I know? Were there other things in previous episodes that were hints towards it?

D.Chase: There was that and there was a shooting which Silvio was a witness, well he wasn’t a witness, he was eating dinner with a couple of hookers and with some other guy and there was some visual stuff that went on there which sort of amplified Tony’s remarks to Baccala about you know “you don’t know its happened” or “you won’t know it happened when it hits you”. That’s about it.

http://premium.airamerica.com/BelzerandDavidChase

Re: Chase spills the beans in new interview?

This quote from Chase is alot less vague than the one in The Sopranos Book that talked about similar things. He says it pretty bluntly here that those quotes were exact clues to the unseen ending. This says it pretty clear to me and satisfies what my common sense has shown me throughout my viewing of the show Post Finale. There are so many other times Chase uses the drop a clue thing that has a payoff later, even if it is seasons later. It would be cool to track down these payofffs throughout the whole show. There is many many many........
[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]You know, Vito called me “skip” the other day. Slip of the tongue, no doubt. But I noticed he didn’t correct himself.[/font][SIZE="1"][/SIZE]

I like the last thing Belzer says that you left out because of the Kennedy connection to the Sopranos especially throughout the last two seasons.

Chase:"“you won’t know it happened when it hits you”. That’s about it.

Belzer: "Yeah well thats what Kennedy said!"
[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]You know, Vito called me “skip” the other day. Slip of the tongue, no doubt. But I noticed he didn’t correct himself.[/font][SIZE="1"][/SIZE]

I agree that's the most direct statement by him that Tony was killed that night, although it's also, by virtue of that fact a bit of a contradiction to his "there was nothing definite about what happened"/"clear trend" line.

Frankly, it's only a curiosity for me what he actually intended since what he put onscreen was so open to interpretation.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:Frankly, it's only a curiosity for me what he actually intended since what he put onscreen was so open to interpretation.

Was it?

As far as crafting the scene it is ostensibly quite deliberately ambiguous. No good auteur would do anything less. For this reason I doubt Chase would have made it obvious. It would go against the grain as an accomplished storyteller. He is telling the viewer work out for yourself.

He did say when someone asked him if Tony was imagining the whole scene at Holsten's that "there's more than one way of looking at the ending. That's all I'll say." But he was laughing off such open ended or indefinite interpretations. He seems to be saying "if that's how you want to see it then that's fine by me!"

But it's quite clear that in Chase's view (remember Ren!) then Tony's fate was final. It seems IHO he has moved on.

Game, set and match!:icon_wink:

SilvioMancini wrote:To Quote Man in Members Only Jacket (Who might of been Chase himself) "I killed Tony Soprano."

The funniest thing about that interview was when Chase couldn't believe how long the talk about the ending went on for. Some people were blogging three weeks later!!

As I've said before, the ending doesn't interest me, but I love a good stoush, so here goes.
Sorry, but what new information do we have here? We already knew the Bacala quote and the shooting when Sil were present were indicators toward a POSSIBLE ending. Now we have an interview in April from Chase saying, yes, those scenes were "part of the ending". What's new? There was still no new evidence to suggest it happened that night in the diner.... One could still argue they were part of the ending in that they were a possibility.....

Isn't this just Chase confirming what we knew already about a possible interpretation?

I would like to see a full transcript, because there is some interesting stuff around the three minute mark where Belzer is talking about Chase knowing the ending a couple of years out, and Belzer says something like: So you knew he wasn't gonna get whacked, and the ending was op and then Chase cuts him off by saying something like Oh that they were in a diner and a man walks in, and the whole family is there....

If I heard it correctly, the reference to the whole family being there is interesting. Why would Chase see that as important two or three years out from the finale??
That three weeks later comment still cracks me up!!

Probably talking and blogging about that ending two years after the event is even funnier.

Confirming a possible interpretation especially as the author of the work, does give more weight to one side of the debate. Chase seems to be (once again) asserting in no uncertain terms that Bobby's statement and Sylvio's experience are pointers to Tony's fate.

The family's presence is significant and I suppose allows for interpretation about whether or not they were witnesses or victims to a hit.

Perhaps Tony's past anxiety attacks also stemmed from the potential danger he placed them under as well. Why would he also send them to a safe house if they had no reason to be threatened?

Maybe those at the diner table were all sitting ducks.

And maybe Ren took a liking to Khu.

conkom wrote:Probably talking and blogging about that ending two years after the event is even funnier.

Confirming a possible interpretation especially as the author of the work, does give more weight to one side of the debate. Chase seems to be (once again) asserting in no uncertain terms that Bobby's statement and Sylvio's experience are pointers to Tony's fate.

The family's presence is significant and I suppose allows for interpretation about whether or not they were witnesses or victims to a hit.

Perhaps Tony's past anxiety attacks also stemmed from the potential danger he placed them under as well. Why would he also send them to a safe house if they had no reason to be threatened?

The fact some have been blogging about the ending for this long was my whole point!! Chase saw three weeks as a long time!!

In other interviews, Chase has stressed the openendness of the ending, as Fly pointed out above. Why should one comment have precedence over another? In previous comments, Chase has literally said in so many words the ending is open to interpretation!! That is the equivalent of him coming out tomorrow and saying yeah, MOG shot Tony in the head!!

Remember the interviewer raised the Bacala quote, and Chase connected it to the other scene. Chase didn't introduce the bacala scene. It wasn't like Chase said "here is one scene that is really crucial and gives the ending nicely tied up with a bow" As a response to the scene being talked about, he linked it to the Sil scene, and said yeah, that was "part" of the ending.

Notice Chase didn't correct the interviewer when he said at the three minute mark, so Tony wasn't whacked....

We have always said all along the bacala and sil scenes formed "part of the ending", either through Tony being shot OR as a tool to heighten tension, and to give one POSSIBLE alternative in an ending open to interpretation.

I think there is more to the family thing than that. Why would Chase plan that two years out? The family being there must have been integral to how Chase wanted it to end.

The game now isn't determining whether or not Tony was whacked or 86ed.

Nor is it whether Chase left the ending deliberately vague or open ended.

Chase himself is somewhat surprised that it is still being discussed. Some of us here are quite astonished by it too. And the lengths to deny, deride and debase (but never truly debate) the clues as Chase delivered them within the text.

Vague interpretatations do not explain ostensibly ambiguous endings.

What can be "more than that"? That is like Tony's plaintive cry for the meaning of life. In both instances no answer is proffered.

But to quote Chase himself: "That’s about it".

Return to “Sopranos in the News”