Re: USA TODAY has DVD update

I can't say I am surprised by the lack of Gandolfini. Many people are saying it is over money, but I seriously doubt that. I think he just does not like giving interviews and feels very uncomfortable with the amount of credit and attention he is given.

clancy25 wrote:Based on past experiences, this just sounds like par for the course with Gandolfini. He's the only cast member of any significance to never do a episode commentary, and I've never actually seen him do any kind of live interview. A couple years back there was a Larry King show with most of the main cast members, except for Gandolfini. King kept asking about him and they kept saying "Jimmy is painfully shy."

It's weird, but I really think he's one of those handful of actors who dislike giving interviews because they don't want their real selves to distract people when they watch their characters. He has given a regular amount of print interviews, so maybe he's more worried about people visibly seeing and hearing him as James Gandolfini with his non-Joisey accent, etc.

Ya know- i think you might be right. (now i feel bad that i connected him with suspicion about a money thing, because he is such a generous and sincere person. What was i thinking? yikes :icon_neutral: ).

The first time i re-saw Get Shorty after watching the Sopranos and heard that unusual (sorta-southern-ish?) accent- it was really weird to listen to. Then i started wanting to see all these obscure movies where he would have even the tiniest bit part. Its been amazing to see how he was really something even then, and with the right part and a chance to show himself more, he just exploded with a talent that was always there when you look back. i just can't get enough of him sometimes!

btw- thanks again DaViE for that link to the Actor's Studio Gandolfini interviews- just fantastic!

I'll probably ask for it for Christmas. I can always justify getting the boxed set by giving my nephew my individual season sets (since he borrows them a lot anyway:icon_biggrin:).

I'm disappointed to that Gandolfini will be absent from the cast dinner deal but not really surprised. I'm very pleased that there will be an apparently extensive interview with Chase with a lot of biographical coverage, although I certainly wouldn't have chosen Alec Baldwin to conduct the interview.

I won't be satisfied, though, until someone sits Chase down and does extensive, detailed questioning on a few of the more layered and symbolic episodes, including (for sure) Calling All Cars, Test Dream, Join the Club/Mayham, and Kennedy and Heidi.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

So what "amazing" questions can I expect from Alec Baldwin? "What happened to the Russian Dave? "Where is the Grenade?" "Is Furio dead?", "Can we expect a spinoff show starring Johnny Cakes?".

I still haven't seen, heard, read any proper interview with Chase regarding the actual shows content, just mindlessly shite. Well apart from the interview about the finale. But I seriously doubt Chase would answer any "serious" questions anyhow, and I don't think I would want him to either.

One of the more interesting Chase interviews I read took place just before the start of 6B. It was really just a subsection of a feature in Entertainment Weekly, but the writer got Chase to talk a little about the storylines and scenes that ended up cut or put to the side for one reason or another. I'm fascinated by that kind of stuff (imagining all the additional things we could have seen before the end). Chase himself actually said he enjoyed talking about that kind of stuff.

My ultimate fantasy is some kind of annotated scriptbook containing all the things that didn't show up on screen for some reason. I've already heard about quiet a few interesting things. In some cases we have complete scripts out there. And I'd love to see where exactly season three was headed before Nancy Marchand passed away. Don't know how reliable it is, but I remember one report at the time suggesting half of the season had already been written before things had to be changed up.

i totally agree. I remember that bit of interview, and you're right- Chase seemed to open up more and enjoyed discussing the details, rather than have to defend decisions already made. Did you say there are transcripts somewhere? Have any links? So often i wished i had some transcripts when trying to understand a scene. And about Nancy Marchand- again good questions- SHe was so amazing i could hardly imagine how the show could go on nearly as well after her loss. At first i thought- geez, there is no way this show will ever be quite as good.

But then, when they resurrected Janice's (post-Parvati) role, they really pulled it off- creating yet another re-incarnation of almost evil personified in a character so unlikeable and detestable (at that point in the story), that the show just took off like a rocket. Its a credit to Aida Turturro that she could, in a way, 'replace' such a strong leading lady role considering the grand shoes to fill. i remember throwing couch pillows at the big screen whenever Janice was particularly negative or horrible- just like when Livia was! :icon_evil: !!

i totally agree. I remember that bit of interview, and you're right- Chase seemed to open up more and enjoyed discussing the details, rather than have to defend decisions already made. Did you say there are transcripts somewhere? Have any links? So often i wished i had some transcripts when trying to understand a scene. And about Nancy Marchand- again good questions- SHe was so amazing i could hardly imagine how the show could go on nearly as well after her loss. At first i thought- geez, there is no way this show will ever be quite as good.

Do you mean transcripts of the interview? Those can probably still be found on the Entertainment Weekly website. I'm certain there are at least several scripts out there that have never seen the light of day, but they haven't been made available yet. In the interview mentioned above, Chase brings up the script where the entire episode would have been a real-time therapy session between Tony and Melfi. There was a commentary on the season 4 dvd where it was mentioned that there was a Paulie-centric episode that had to be shelved because Tony Sirico had surgery putting him out of action for much of the season. There are a few other references in commentaries and bits of interviews which strongly indicate there are other such scripts out there.

I've bought several Sopranos shooting scripts off of EBay, and most of them do contain some extended or new scenes that never made it to the screen. They aren't earth-shattering plot issues, but they can provide some interesting insight into these characters. The ironic thing is that the only officially released script book, containing episodes from the first three seasons, is actually very sparse when it comes to extra bits. A short Meadow daydream sequence in the pilot was the only extra bit that comes to mind.

bloodshot wrote:i have a feeling this box set is some sort of bootleg. if you look closely to the enlarged photo of it, you'll see "China DVD". It doesn't look like the package coming out at the end of the year.

No, you can buy that box set in shops over here, and it was advertised quite extensively when the final series ended.

Return to “Sopranos in the News”