Re: Emmy Nominations for Final Nine

Universal Polymath wrote:Since a few people are online, I figured this is as good a time as any to chat. I'm in there now, if anyone wants to join me for a little bit ...

Well I shall join you then, young sir.:icon_biggrin:
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Fly, Detective Hunt - My computer logged me out of the chat room yet again, but this time it doesn't look like I'm getting back in so easily, it's freezing up every time I attempt to log in ...

...Well, it was really great to catch up, and I hope we all have the chance to do it again soon. Let's not wait another three months this time, huh? :icon_wink:

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:What a friggin' disgrace that Jim and Edie did not win. Some of the best acting you'll ever see on any screen; their last opportunity for recognition (and they've been robbed a couple of other times when the sentimental or political tide was elsewhere) and Sally Field and James Spader win?????

My sentiments exactly. The complexities they bring to their characters never ceases to amaze me. The fact that the Academy decides to honor their show with the Jersey Boys Tribute (it left me scratching my head, too as the only thing they have in common is "NJ" but it's the principle of the thing) bring them out for one last bow and then snub the leading actors for two others on overall mediocre shows- not to mention Sally and James Spader will have other chances to win- just makes me so angry at the hypocritical behavior. I'm certainly happy that the show took home best drama but it was almost too little too late for me. Although if it swept all the categories but best drama I would still be upset.

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:What a friggin' disgrace that Jim and Edie did not win. Some of the best acting you'll ever see on any screen; their last opportunity for recognition (and they've been robbed a couple of other times when the sentimental or political tide was elsewhere) and Sally Field and James Spader win????? As much as I credit Chase, obviously, as overwhelmingly the most important creative force on the show, Gandolfini is clearly second, and by a wide margin over anyone else. He is actually more responsible than any other person for keeping me an obsessed viewer because he uncannily made me still love Tony (up until Kennedy and Heidi) while Chase was busy filling the character (or at least one member of the audience!) with false hope. That JG did not win tonight was a great disappointment.

I was very pleased that Alan Taylor won for directing K & H, as I thought that ep featured some of the best direction in the show's history. Obviously I'm thrilled that the man himself won for writing (even if I think K & H was the better script) and that the show itself won. But, just as in the past when Gandolfini and Falco won while the show or its writing was snubbed, it's hard to value any win very much when not a single Sopranos actor walked off with a trophy.

Here's the scene at my house
" And the award goes to (c'mon Gandolfini)
James (yes !!!)
Spader (nooooooo fuckin'way!!!!)"

C'mon. Sally Field? I loved how Chase parodied her speech by saying "if gangsters ruled the world.."

Last of the Mo' Ricans wrote:No kidding. Edie's performance as the constantly self tormented support and foil for Tony made the show what it was. Always with the drama!

You said it. Just goes to show how these award ceremonies are not really meaningful reflections of talent across the board, and probably based on political or other reasons. Sally Field over Edie!?- C'mon!....

sopranology wrote:Here's the scene at my house
" And the award goes to (c'mon Gandolfini)
James (yes !!!)
Spader (nooooooo fuckin'way!!!!)"

C'mon. Sally Field? I loved how Chase parodied her speech by saying "if gangsters ruled the world.."

You're right on the parody- i didn't quite get the parody aspect until he was well into it, then it seemed to me he was sort of cut off or pushed to wrap it up, and i would really have liked to hear him finish his thought! i was amazed to hear him go the direction of laughing about how maybe we DO have gangsters running the country! Oh how i would've loved to hear just a little more!

Return to “Sopranos in the News”