Emmy Nominations for Final Nine

The nominations came out today for Emmys that cover the final nine episodes and The Sopranos did quite well:

The show itself was nominated for Outstanding Drama Series

Phil Abraham was nominated for Outstanding Cinematographer

Alan Taylor for Outstanding Direction (for Kennedy and Heidi)

Gandolfini for lead actor

Falco for lead actress

Imperioli for Supporting Actor

Both Aida Turturro and Lorraine Bracco for Supporting Actress

And even Tim Daly for Guest Actor

The show also recieved nominations for editing, sound mixing and writing - Chase & Weiner for Kennedy and Heidi, Terence Winter for The Second Coming and Chase by himself for Made in America.

Not bad at all. Now let's just hope we see a few wins.

Here's the complete listing: http://www.emmys.tv/awards/2007pt/59thnominations.php
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Re: Emmy Nominations for Final Nine

Here's my favorite category:

Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series

Ronald D. Moore Battlestar Galactica Occupation/Precipice •Sci Fi Channel
Damon Lindelof, Carlton Cuse, Lost Through The Looking Glass ABC
Matthew Weiner, David Chase, Writer The Sopranos Kennedy And Heidi HBO
Terence Winter, Writer The Sopranos The Second Coming HBO
David Chase, Writer The Sopranos Made In America HBO

Wow, 3 out of 5 categories for this thing of ours in the writing department. Pretty impressive, uhh? BTW Fly, see what I told you about "Battlestar Galactica"? One of the few shows (and one snubbed all around in the other Emmy categories) that the TV Academy deemed worthy of being in the company of "The Sopranos." :icon_wink:

'Sopranos' fever hits Emmys with 15 nominations

BY RICHARD HUFF
DAILY NEWS TV EDITOR
Friday, July 20th 2007, 4:00 AM

Fans are still arguing over how "The Sopranos" ended last month, but one thing is clear - Emmy voters love the show.

The critically acclaimed HBO drama - which ended with a whimper instead of a bang - picked up 15 nominations for Primetime Emmy Awards yesterday, more than any series on the small screen.

The nominations for "The Sopranos" included one for Best Drama and Best Actor and Actress nods for stars James Gandolfini and Edie Falco.

"The Sopranos" ended its final season with a total of 111 lifetime nominations, just short of the record 117 amassed by "ER" since its launching in 1995.

Also chalking up big nominations numbers were ABC's telenovela "Ugly Betty," which earned 11. ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" and NBC's "30 Rock" grabbed 10 nominations.

"We've got a lot of attention, I think, just based on the fact the show is pretty different than anything that is out there right now," said America Ferrera, star of "Ugly Betty."

HBO led all networks with 86 nominations. ABC followed with 70, and NBC garnered 69 nods.

HBO's movie "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" was the most-nominated of all shows, with 17.

"Anybody who says it's not nice or it doesn't mean anything to get this many nominations, it's the ultimate sour grapes because it sure feels great," said Dick Wolf, who produced "Bury."

Snubbed in the voting were the actors on NBC's much-praised "Friday Night Lights."

Gandolfini, who played Tony Soprano in "The Sopranos," will face off for the Best Actor trophy with James Spader of ABC's "Boston Legal," Hugh Laurie of Fox's "House," Denis Leary of FX's "Rescue Me" and Kiefer Sutherland of Fox's "24."

Falco, who played Gandolfini's TV wife, Carmella, is in the Best Actress category against Sally Field of ABC's "Brothers & Sisters," Kyra Sedgwick, star of TNT's "The Closer," Mariska Hargitay of NBC's "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit," Patricia Arquette of NBC's "Medium" and Minnie Driver of FX's "The Riches."

HBO's "Entourage" is among the big comedy nominees, along with NBC's "The Office" and "30 Rock," ABC's "Ugly Betty" and CBS' "Two and a Half Men."
Comedy actor nominations went to Ricky Gervais of HBO's "Extras," Tony Shalhoub of USA Network's "Monk," Steve Carell of "The Office," Alec Baldwin of "30 Rock" and Charlie Sheen of "Two and a Half Men."

In the comedy actress race are Felicity Huffman of ABC's "Desperate Housewives," Julia Louis-Dreyfus of CBS' "The New Adventures of Old Christine," Tina Fey of "30 Rock," America Ferrera of "Ugly Betty" and Mary-Louise Parker of Showtime's "Weeds"

The "59th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards" will air Sept. 16.
[email="rhuff@nydailynews.com"]rhuff@nydailynews.com[/email]
bobC
---

some will win, some will lose,
some were born to sing the blues,
the movie never ends,
it goes on and on and on and on........

Why do I feel that Emmy judges clearly overnominate shows that have been finished? Just like why nominate Drea again?

And still based on performance I would say I would have at least nominated Tony Sirico now, he had much more screentime and drama then Imperioli. Being pinched on the nose is not great acting. Still he was great but why do I feel that his death is supposed to be his biggest ending. Just his last scene with Ade worthed an Emmy back then. It was terrific.....

If anyonefeels that I went to far, please moderate me,,,,
You can't have everything- Where would you put it? -Steven Wright

wizdog wrote:Why do I feel that Emmy judges clearly overnominate shows that have been finished? Just like why nominate Drea again?

And still based on performance I would say I would have at least nominated Tony Sirico now, he had much more screentime and drama then Imperioli. Being pinched on the nose is not great acting. Still he was great but why do I feel that his death is supposed to be his biggest ending. Just his last scene with Ade worthed an Emmy back then. It was terrific.....

If anyonefeels that I went to far, please moderate me,,,,

Michael Imperioli was nominated for 'Walk like a man' not for 'Kennedy and Heidi'

I think Robert Iler deserves a nomination. He had a lot of screen time this second half of the series and I think he pulled it off magnificently. I think he really captured what its like to be a confused depressed 20 year old (even though it can be annoying to watch). I especially related to this because, I as well am a confused 20 year old :icon_mrgreen: :icon_neutral:

Just a quick reminder that the Emmy's arrive Sunday night and thus, it is our last chance to see our favorite show honored. I hope they can walk away with a few of the awards. I don't know if a clean sweep is possible. But I'll be rooting for Jim and Edie, as well as the other cast and crew nominated.

Tune in Sunday night. :cool:
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Return to “Sopranos in the News”