'Written By' Feature on Sopranos Writers

I looked everywhere locally for the magazine "Written By", to no avail. The current issue features David Chase on the cover and interviews with current Sopranos writers.

The Chase portion of the feature can be found online here.

Jouster was kind enough to scan his copy of the interview with the other writers so that we could all enjoy it. Thanks, jouster!

Written By
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Re: 'Written By' Feature on Sopranos Writers

Great conversation, between the creators of my two favorite TV Shows of all time, St. Elsewhere and The Sopranos! Thanks for the link, Fly.

The most telling part of the interview, IMHO, was the talk of a hypothetical Sopranos movie: Chase saying that they would have to step back to, say, 2005, for a timeframe in which to set the movie. The implication being that if they set it in, say, 2008, not all of the characters would be...available.
patriquem

Great article! Just read it.

But one question to patriquem - where does St. Elsewhere come into this? It's one of my favorite shows as well, but the creators of that show are Joshua Brand and John Falsey, with Bruce Paltrow and Mark Tinker playing a major role in the series. Just curious where you got that from.
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Detective Hunt wrote:Great article! Just read it.

But one question to patriquem - where does St. Elsewhere come into this? It's one of my favorite shows as well, but the creators of that show are Joshua Brand and John Falsey, with Bruce Paltrow and Mark Tinker playing a major role in the series. Just curious where you got that from.

The interview with David Chase that Fly linked above (seperate from the article I scanned) is between Tom Fontana and David. Tom Fontana didn't create "St. Elsewhere," but he was a producer and writer for five years on it, so I can why patriquem might be confused.

Ahhh, now I see. I somehow missed Fly's link.

And yes, I do recall Fontana from St. Elsewhere. Let's just hope he didn't give Chase any advice on how to end the series. IMHO, St. Elsewhere's series finale has to be among the worst of all time...I mean, the whole thing occurred in the mind of an autistic little boy? That's almost as bad as the "lost" season of Dallas when Patrick Duffy came out of the shower. :icon_rolleyes:
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

jouster wrote:I think it's a given that important characters will die before the series ends, but what I took from that quote is that the series will end in a conclusive, definitive way, and Chase wouldn't want to go back to it at a point after that.

That is kind of how I took it as well. And that is a good thing, imo. One of the best things about HBO shows is they give the creators the freedom to end the show when they should end, thereby still maintaining creative and artistic license (when comparing it to all the shows on other channels that ultimately go waaaay downhill). It is good to know that this is "the end" to Chase's story. Even though he has thought about a movie, it isn't like he is modifying the ending of the show to leave other story options open.

Return to “Sopranos in the News”