Re: The Series Coming Full Circle

Actually, it's an interesting point, the question of what Carmela knows and doesn't know. Putting aside anything that could be used to testify against her husband, does anyone wonder if she really believes the likes of Pussy and Richie are in the Program? Or that Ralphie simple disappeared? And what of Tony B? In season 6a we only ever heard the wiseguys who were prithee to what happened to him discussing his fate, none of Tony's 'other' family have ever mentioned him.
I always interpret this as Carmela turning the other cheek,a stance well documented since the very first episode, the wife of a mob boss just accepts that associates will simply vanish from time to time. But with Adriana it's different. This is someone she classed as family, divorced from the 'business'. I got the impression in season 6a that, despite her concerns and suspicion, never in her wildest dreams would Carmela believe Tony would stoop so low as to have Adriana killed. Or maybe she just doesn't want to?

Tennessee Moltisanti wrote:But with Adriana it's different. This is someone she classed as family, divorced from the 'business'. I got the impression in season 6a that, despite her concerns and suspicion, never in her wildest dreams would Carmela believe Tony would stoop so low as to have Adriana killed. Or maybe she just doesn't want to?

Chase addressed this in his very acerbic DVD commentary for Kaisha. He didn't decline any opportunity to low rate the perception or intelligence of viewers, saying something like "how in the world" could a viewer think that Carmela has any suspicions whatsoever of Tony regarding Ade. He made it clear that all of Carm's suspicions were focussed on Christopher because of his history of physical abuse of Ade.

But you make an excellent point about the dichotomy of self deception or willful ignorance Carm would exercise with respect to any strong suspicion that Tony killed Ade vis-a-vis Pussy or Ralph, etc. She would not, could not, look the other way for the very reasons you stated.

Despite Chase's protestations to the contrary, I still think there was basis in The Ride for Carm to consider the faintest of possibilities that Tony knows more about Ade's disappearance than he pretends. Ade's mother told Carm that the FBI came to her with their suspicions. The FBI do not investigate garden variety homicides or domestic murders, and if they, rather than local law enforcement, were sniffing around the Ade disappearance, seeking info and cooperation from Ade's mother, it had to be because they felt there was some OC link. Having seen Tony through numerous search/siezures, near-RICO indictments, and FBI arrests, Carm is likely savvy enough to understand this jurisdictional distinction on some basic level.

Then you had Tony changing the subject and even the facts re the Ade/Chris breakup, which factual goof Carmela immediately recognized. And you had Tony strenuously opposing Carm's desire to hire a private eye to find her. Because Carm is so much more aware than she lets on (even to herself), because she knows in her heart that Pussy and Ralph were whacked and that Tony killed Bevalaqua and that Janice killed Richie, she is sophisticated enough to entertain for a moment the question of Tony's involvement. However I do think that she genuinely credits Tony with being above what he did to Ade, and so any momentary flash of wonder on the scant evidence before her would be quickly extinguished by her own love and loyalty.

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:Then you had Tony changing the subject and even the facts re the Ade/Chris breakup, which factual goof Carmela immediately recognized. And you had Tony strenuously opposing Carm's desire to hire a private eye to find her.
luv it wen tone say's "let's not sabotage his progress" re: chrissy during that convo wit carm.

I agree, I think Tony's fear of losing his family from the beginning will be the "full circle" moment David Chase hints at. I could see Carmela, finally having enough of the life that Tony leads and leaves him. I don't think it would be over infedelity, like in the past. It could be because Carmela finds out about how Tony handled the Jackie Jr. or more recent Adriana situation that Carmela, keeps beating around the bush about. It would be fitting that Tony loses his family, then the ducks return after all this time.

As I've watched the first five of 6b, I get the impression of Tony maturing and really getting healthier. Another word for healthier is balanced. Now what comes to mind is a line from the pilot. Carmella and Tony are having dinner and he admits to her that he's going to therapy. What he says is something to the effect of, Lately I've been feeling like my life is out of balance.

I think, based on what I've seen, this could be part of the series coming full circle. Not only would it be the first season, but the first episode.

"There were two story lines that were supposed to be in the final season that we never got to, we never had room for. One of them ties all the way back to the beginning of the show."

The story line they couldn't fit in 6a, that goes all the way back to the beginning.. I think it's Christophers' movie. We saw him as a struggling script writer in the beginning of the show, and Chase wanted him to actually end up making a movie before the show ended, but couldn't fit it in between all the coma dreaming and gay adventures of 6a.

Return to “Season 6, Part 2, Non Spoiler-Based Speculation/Discussion”