Re: The Series Coming Full Circle

Thats a good point to actually... how bobby couldnt make it that night to take care of junior but possibly told junior that pussy may pay him a visit that night, therefore junior was "ready" for him. Also Janice's over the top emotions in the hospital and Bobby's obsession with getting an answere from Sil while he was acting boss. While Bobby was chasing Sil around (even while being wheeled into an ambulance) he didnt seem all that concerned about Tony.

I read with interest the report that Chase said the final episodes (6b) will allow him to finish some issues left dangling since the first season. I just rewatched the last two episodes of S1, Tony's shooting by the black guys, Livia's stroke (pseudo?) and Buco's anger that the Vesuvio of his father was torched.
The last scene is at Vesuvio, the safe port in the storm. In addition to Tony's family, Chris and Ade are there, as well as Paulie and Sil. Now, the only dangling issue is, IMHO, the FBI coming to see Tony in the hospital and offering complete immunity. Tony refuses and does not even take the agent's calling card but Carmela does. I view this through my biased prism: Tony could end up like Gravano, a top Mafia guy testifying against his former cronies. Not likely, you say, but Gravano is mentioned in S1 when Tony discusses Pussy wearing a wire with Makazian the crooked cop and degenerate gambler.
My other take on this is that 6b will heavily feature Buco and Charmaine. Will Buco allow the Vesuvio to be bugged in exchange for Amex reinstating his credit card privileges?
Can't wait for the broadcasting to begin!
biker 2
from frigid Ottawa Canada (near Harpo!)

It seems to me that we should be looking for things that were brought up in Season 1, possibly even episode 1, and never fully resolved. That includes the following:

1) The ducks representing Tony's fear of losing his blood family. I have long felt that one of his immediate family may end up dying, the most interesting options being AJ or Meadow. Although with Meadow far removed in California and AJ seemingly turning things around and getting his act together, maybe this is less likely than I originally thought.

2) Training Christopher in the family business. This is obviously huge. Will Christopher ever be able to fulfill the high hopes that Tony has had for him for the better part of six seasons? The two major obstacles, based on 6a, still seem to be drugs and Hollywood. Remember that it was Christopher talking about his script at the end of episode 1 that really set Tony off.

3) Tony's mother / Uncle Junior. It seems inevitable that Tony must be able to reach some sort of closure and/or resolution with respect to these two. My thinking is that there HAS to be a major breakthrough with Melfi at some point before the season ends.

4) The two major crimes in episode 1 were the murder of Emil and the fire at Vesuvio. Could it be possible that one or both of these incidents could come back to bite Tony specifically, or the Jerset crew in general?

Hello people, it's my first post . . . .I think by comin full circle maybe Chase means that the final 9 could end at the feet of Melfi, maybe Tony's visit's to her could be the unwitting reason that brings an end to this thing of ours. Early on in the season Tony is left with what he thinks is no choice but to kill Chris and later realises he made a massive mistake/misjudgement. He slips into depression again and his guilt leads to him confessing all to Melfi. Melfi doesnt rat Tony out but her office has been wired by the feds....Tony is jailed, Melfi is struck off/ or jailed (dont know what her punishment would be??) for not informing the cops, . . . we first saw Tony Soprano in the waiting area of Melfi's office . . . .that may just be where the story ends, Melfis empty office, empty chairs maybe with a few of the quotes from the past echoing in the background. . . . thus coming full circle.

JohnnySoprano, welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to post.:smile:

I'm going to dig around for the exact quote I recall re this whole first season thing. Chase has spoken of it several times, and each time it's been a little different, once implying that it was more of an actual "storyline", which I take to mean something fairly specific, like the Vesuvio firebombing.

But IIRC there was one quote that seemed to refer more to a first season theme than a specific story. Maybe it's just the irrepressible amateur screenwriter in me, but I somehow want to see the "circle close" by revisiting the anxiety that drove him to Melfi in the first place and, with it, a final unraveling of the symbolism in the pivotal dream he relates to Melfi in the pilot.

Thanks for the welcoming flyonmelfiswall!, . . . .ive been thinking of the actual storylines from season 1 and cant think of any that are pivotal in the story to bring up again, maybe im lookin for somethin too big but how would something like the vesuvio bombing come back to haunt T, the obvious big story from season was was the attempted murder on Tony's life but not sure how Chase could bring that back up?? Any ideas on what could be brought up again?

One of the subject left dangling is the role of Charmaine Bucco. She does not like the mobsters hanging around Vesuvio, she makes cracks about the FBI, she makes Tony angry enough that he leaves (and he then encounters Jacky Jr in the other strip bar, another story) but she also reveals to Carmela that she once slept with Tony in high school days. I also remember than Artie is not supposed to have discussed with her what Flavia revealed about her son Tony "burning" the old restaurant.
I could imagine her role becoming more central in the last episodes. Could the FBI bug the private room where the crews have their dinners?
biker 2
from frigid Ottawa Canada (near Harpo!)

first thread i have read on here and you all seem to have some great ideas.

i think Chase means by coming full circle that it will deal heavily with the theme of "coming in at the end". How everything isnt like it was in the good old days and seem to remember Tony pointing out some specific things that moden mobsters dont have the same morals and ethics and will rat people out to avoid prison, specially on a drug charge. I see this maybe pointing towards Chris ratting on the family and then a big show down occuring between T and Chris.

JonnySoprano wrote:Thanks for the welcoming flyonmelfiswall!, . . . .ive been thinking of the actual storylines from season 1 and cant think of any that are pivotal in the story to bring up again, maybe im lookin for somethin too big but how would something like the vesuvio bombing come back to haunt T, the obvious big story from season was was the attempted murder on Tony's life but not sure how Chase could bring that back up?? Any ideas on what could be brought up again?
Okay..I'll bite.

Tony "disrespected" Junior when he had Vesuvio bombed.

Junior has mentioned several times in 6a, that he did not act alone. The only question then, if true, who conspired to kill Tony?

Return to “Season 6, Part 2, Non Spoiler-Based Speculation/Discussion”