Why have the panic attacks ended?

Just curious what you all thought. The last panic attack I can remember Tony having is with Melfi in her office whicle discussing his cousin, but I've also heard it was a panic attack that jarred Tony out of his coma.

Is it the fact that the guilt towards his cousin has been resolved? Is it the medication or the sessions with Melfi?

I'm pretty sure it's open to interpretation.

Re: Why have the panic attacks ended?

One would think that the huge pressures, from both his mob and blood families, from the Feds, from his enemies, fears of something in his past catching up with him, beating up another mobster, dealing with AJ and Carm, choking Chris to his death and so on would trigger another panic attack in Tony. He has done some deep gambling, been violent to enemies, and shown other signs of his depression and perhaps taking some edge off, but also adding some. Perhaps his admitting to his problem of depression, recognizing that his mother was hateful toward him due to her mental illness and continuing therapy knowing he is a risk of another panic attack may be reducing the risk of one. But I think in the next 2 episodes, he will face another and severe one as things explode around him.

Interesting takes. It's fascinating how as the show progressed, the panic attacks were explained by different facets of his life. In the first and second season, the attacks were caused by stress, especially from his family. The third season tried to tie the attcks to when they first began when he was younger, with meat somehow triggering childhood memories that were the onset of many of the attacks.

The fifth season really tied them to the guilt he felt towards Tony Blundetto, and not being able to go with him on the botched robbery years ago. And finally, we come full circle, with an attack literally saving him by jarring him out of his coma.

The fact that we have not seen one since the shooting makes sense on a certain level because Tony was different immediately after he came out of the coma, with a new perspective on life. But as we've seen new Tony revert back to old Tony, it's curious the attacks haven't returned.

Interesting if it gets addressed in the final two.

Every day is a gift now. The "f-u" attitude towards the world that has evolved from this original concept during the course of Season 6 for Tony has made him realize that he shouldn't stress the small stuff in life. Without the basic framework of his first Kevin Finnerty "take time to stop and smell the roses" take on life allowed him to morph into his current state of mind, which then keeps out the panic attacks.

Just a guess, if I may.

I'm not sure how to explain this. There have been times when I've felt so sick that I worried I might soon die. But, the incidents were not of a kind that were the most extreme. Whenever something happened that was truly the most extreme, I was able to get up and walk to a phone and call an ambulance or walk to a drugstore and get myself the help I needed.

When I think of Tony, his panic attacks seem to come at times and related to events that were not really life-threatening. He got one when the ducks flew away. He got another when he was at some turning-point re his mother and the nursing home. He got another when he was on the golf course with Johnny Sac and Carmine Senior (at that time the thing that was weighing on his mind was whether Johnny Sac was going to demand blood from Ralphie. (at least I think that was the case, No?)

But when he was actually in a life-threatening situation, like both times when he was shot (once by Junior and once by Junior's henchmen), he didn't have a panic attack.

Hard to explain what I mean, but I guess I'm saying that a big component of a panic attack is something in Tony's mind - something that has not actually happened, but there is just a fear that it might happen.

It's as if when life-threatening shit is happening or about to happen, Tony's subconscious won't let him have a panic attack because he just can't afford to get into any of that kind of shit. He needs to stay alert and focused to save his life. It's only when he's fairly safe and is worried about shit that may or may not happen or shit that is not really life-threatening that he can afford the indulgence of a panic attack.

At the present, Tony's life and the lives of his family and business associates are in real danger. So, there is no question of a panic attack happening. Anyway, that's just my guess.

P.S. It just occurred to me. How many times does Junior figure he should be allowed to shoot Tony before he gets held accountable?

There was an episode in 6b (I can't remember which one) where they're all sitting at the dinner table and Tony seems to have a moment of indigestion. Carmella asks, "Are you alright?" At first, I thought, possible heart attack, but then I forgot about the panic attacks. I'd want to watch the episode again to see what precedes it.

madribub wrote:There was an episode in 6b (I can't remember which one) where they're all sitting at the dinner table and Tony seems to have a moment of indigestion. Carmella asks, "Are you alright?" At first, I thought, possible heart attack, but then I forgot about the panic attacks. I'd want to watch the episode again to see what precedes it.
It was Stage 5, madribub, and I took it as an indication that Tony has a chronic, continuing problem with spicy food since the pancreas was shot up. Artie referred to it in Luxury Lounge, and Tony told Phil about it (in typical exaggerated fashion, LOL) at the Cleaver premiere party when they were each trying to one up each other about their physical problems.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Return to “Season 6, Part 2, Non Spoiler-Based Speculation/Discussion”