Re: Bittersweet

Well, happy April 8th, Chase Lounge! The first of the last is drawing nearer and nearer, and I'm too excited for words right now.

As a few other people have already said, I totally understand and can relate to that bittersweet "it's coming to a close" feeling, but I don't think it's going to kick in until around episode seven. Knowing we're down to the final three is when it's really going to hit me, and the feeling will only become stronger each week after that.

What I'm worried about, more than anything, is that when all is said and done, my initial response will be disappointment. I'm not saying Chase's finale will probably be anything less than brilliant. And who knows, even if I am slightly disappointed, I may come to appreciate it over time. But I'd feel awful if my natural, uncontrollable reaction to the final episode was disappointment - if I felt a panicked wave of "Oh no, that can't be how it ends!", instead of sitting back and feeling total satisfaction. I just love this show so much, I really care about my reaction to it. Disappointment towards The Sopranos? It feels like sacrilege! And that disappointment would only be amplified because it would be with the conclusion. There'd be no chance after that for the show to redeem itself again. Anyone else worried about that?

Anyway, I won't let that bother me for now! No amount of apprehension towards the very, very end will get in my way of enjoying this last batch of episodes, which will undoubtedly be worthy of my full admiration and praise. So again: Happy April 8th, Chase Lounge!

I feel very similar Universal. You cant control your initial feelings, no matter how hard you try. That is rather scary when you think about it. Especially since we all have invested in the show a certain amount. It would be a horrible feeling to go, "oh god, that is ALL?!".

I felt that letdown already with the episode of Kaisha. As much as I appreciate season 6a, it just doesn't hold up to the rest of the series for me. And I would hate to have those feelings for these final 9. Especially, like you said, knowing that this is their LAST chance to show us something.

However, from early reviews, it sounds like the show is going to be covering some really great ground at least in the first couple of episodes. But I think it is also important to not raise hopes and expectations TOO high. Sopranos IS the greatest television series I have ever seen. That does not mean it will COMPLETELY and utterly blow me away and blow my mind to another level. I am just looking for a good bookend to this great series. If you go in with the mindset that it will be the best thing you have ever seen in your entire life, how can the show (even the Sopranos) not fall short of that.

I don't think there is any way the ending will meet the incredibly high expectations. The ending has been building for years. I've already prepared myself for the dissapointment. But who knows, this is Chase we are talking about. He may just pull something special.

garthman00 wrote:However, from early reviews, it sounds like the show is going to be covering some really great ground at least in the first couple of episodes. But I think it is also important to not raise hopes and expectations TOO high. Sopranos IS the greatest television series I have ever seen. That does not mean it will COMPLETELY and utterly blow me away and blow my mind to another level. I am just looking for a good bookend to this great series. If you go in with the mindset that it will be the best thing you have ever seen in your entire life, how can the show (even the Sopranos) not fall short of that.
True, the first few episodes have invoked a really great response from most articles I've read. But then again, 6a started on an amazing note, all the way through "Mayham", and then it really started to lose steam. I really enjoyed last season, and I think it was really great in comparison with anything else I could have been watching Sunday nights instead. It's just not as great compared to earlier seasons of the same show, and it failed to captivate and beguile me in the same way as earlier seasons did.

But damn, as we've already discussed how we can't control our initial reaction to the show, it's also impossible to control runaway expectations as well. I want to curb my expectations of the finale and go into watching it anticipating nothing. But just thinking of some of the incredible moments in the series in past seasons, and being reminded of what greatness this series is capable of, it's only natural to hope the show will leave on a similar great note. And when people tend to think like that, as you said garthman, disappointment and a feeling of the show "falling short" is practically inevitable.

Universal Polymath wrote:True, the first few episodes have invoked a really great response from most articles I've read. But then again, 6a started on an amazing note, all the way through "Mayham", and then it really started to lose steam. I really enjoyed last season, and I think it was really great in comparison with anything else I could have been watching Sunday nights instead. It's just not as great compared to earlier seasons of the same show, and it failed to captivate and beguile me in the same way as earlier seasons did.

But damn, as we've already discussed how we can't control our initial reaction to the show, it's also impossible to control runaway expectations as well. I want to curb my expectations of the finale and go into watching it anticipating nothing. But just thinking of some of the incredible moments in the series in past seasons, and being reminded of what greatness this series is capable of, it's only natural to hope the show will leave on a similar great note. And when people tend to think like that, as you said garthman, disappointment and a feeling of the show "falling short" is practically inevitable.
Well, I didn't mean to make it sound like I am not expecting some great things this season. I am! I just read SO many message board threads, where the fan goes on and on and on about how it better blow them away and how it all better just be the most amazing thing on tv. I really believe there will be some special moments, like you said.

In fact, I think think these last 9 should be viewed as a season 7. The whole 6a and 6b thing was primarily done so HBO could avoid paying higher rates to the actors for their last season. In any case, I really think that 6a was bloated, and while there are some really awesome scenes, it just seems out of place, and I think it was a matter of Chase thinking he could expand the series just a bit longer then what it should have been. However, Chase has mentioned that he has known how the series will end for years now. I would imagine with that sort of foresight, it would really allow Chase to craft an amazing final season.

I am also a big fan of HBO's Six Feet Under, which, while it had it's fan base, flew under the radar because of the Sopranos stealing much of their thunder. SFU ended on an amazing note, but fans weren't expecting it to end as strongly as how it did. To tie this into Sopranos, I just feel like Sopranos fans are expecting some huge pay-offs. And I am not exactly sure that is what Chase is going for here. I mean, cruise the message boards, there are people who want the Russian to return and Dr. Melfi's rapist caught, and AJ to follow in the family business with Meadow heading the whole thing, and Carmella as a Consilliere. When I see what some people expect from this show. I just wonder if I am watching the same show as many of these people! Lol.

My long (and meandering) point is that people are going to be dissappointed. And maybe I will be as well. I sure was dissappointed with 6a. But I get the impression from Chase that these final 9 are going to be very finely crafted and tightly wound. So, if nothing else, I hope for some solid episodes, even if the ending doesn't meet everyone's unsurmountable expectations.

My husband and I will watch the Kaisha episode right before the 9pm new show. We are looking forward to it.

I will really miss this show. I am not a big tv watcher, and rarely get into any series. However, I love this show and I'm disappointed that it will end.

"...I don't think there is any way the ending will meet the incredibly high expectations...But who knows, this is Chase we are talking about. He may just pull something special."

And it's true that "The Sopranos" is not like any big TV series that ended before.
Richard Kimbal caught the one armed man, Hawkeye left in a helicopter, I don't know or care what happened to J.R., St. Elsewhere was an autistic kid's dream, etc., etc. There won't be a spin-off (i.e "The Walnuts") for Sopranos members to make reappearing cameos like "Frasier" was for "Cheers".
It won't be like "Star Trek" or "Rockford Files" which just ceased for whatever reasons with movies coming years later(I think Chase said there would be no movies or "Sopranos TNG").
Chase has never been one to tie up loose ends as he likes to keep it more like real life and not like a TV series.
So who knows what to expect? I bet we'll have a few "I wonder what happened to..." moments to discuss for years to come.

I agree with Detective Hunt, at this point I an like 8 episodes left, 7 episodes left... it is like a countdown i wish I could stop. That being said I am excited to see the conclusion, the payoff for the last 6 seasons. That doesn't make it any less sad that it is ending. It is great that the show is still going out on top, but I dissagree with Chase and Gandolfini and agree with the rest of the cast; this thing can go on for a while longer. There are still many stories that can be told... There I go again, in denial that it is almost over. The bright side is to me is the old episodes and seasons never get old, I can watch them again and again and I'm sure that is what I will do when it is all said and done. But there will never be a show that combines this kind of writing, acting, casting, drama and humor ever again.

My plea to David Chase is to give us a Sopranos prequel, set in the day of Tony's dad, Johnny Boy.

Universal Polymath wrote:Bump.

So how's everyone feeling today?
Excited, yet filled with dread over the fact that there is only one hour left in the greatest television series ever. What a ride it has been, I guess this is the moment we have all been waiting for. I just hope the fans of the show have not set the bar too high for what will or will not happen, although that's my fear. It is David Chase's vision and apparently he has known how he wanted to end it since Season 4, so it is not like he hasn't put a lot of thought into this.

Return to “Season 6, Part 2, Non Spoiler-Based Speculation/Discussion”