Writers' caution before the final 8

Hi guys,

I was just thinking about the final 8 episodes after reading a couple of the other posts in this section, and I was wondering - can anybody think of any characters that, after the end of "6A", HAD to be in the final eight for continuity? What I mean is it seems that the writers gave themselves a fairly big window of opportunity for writing characters out WITHOUT them appearing in the final 8, if the actors did not agree contracts.

The only two main characters I can think of are Tony and Carmela, all the others (that I can think of) could be 'explained away' for reasons such as:

Uncle Jr could have died in the hospital (of old age) if he hadnt agreed a contract for the final 8.
AJ could have eloped with Miss Puerto Rico 2006
Meadow could have stayed in California
Cancer could have done for Paulie between 6A-6B
New York could have done for Silvio, Christopher, or pretty much anyone else on Tony's side
Heart problems could have done for Phil
Johnny Sac could have been left to rot in prison
Even Artie (a supporting character in my view) could have gone bankrupt and succeeded with his pill taking second time around.
Bobby and Janice could be written out quite easily without any major loss to the overall storyline, IMO.

At the same time, subject to contract, any one of these characters could become pivotal to the final 8.

Any thoughts, anyone? Just thinking out loud to a degree, it just occured to me that the writers had covered most bases in this regard, quite inconspicuosly as well...

Re: Writers' caution before the final 8

Good points, JTF. I'll even add that a drug overdose for Chris seems entirely plausible. Has been for years. Almost as plausible for AJ, since the trajectory of his partying has been on a steady incline since he got drunk on sacramental wine in the 8th grade.

The only character that I feel has to be on the canvas right up until the end is Tony himself. Ultimately he is the sun of this universe. Without him, the whole thing falls apart. So I can't imagine anything more than a portion of the last episode continuing after his demise.

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:Good points, JTF. I'll even add that a drug overdose for Chris seems entirely plausible. Has been for years. Almost as plausible for AJ, since the trajectory of his partying has been on a steady incline since he got drunk on sacramental wine in the 8th grade.

The only character that I feel has to be on the canvas right up until the end is Tony himself. Ultimately he is the sun of this universe. Without him, the whole thing falls apart. So I can't imagine anything more than a portion of the last episode continuing after his demise.
FOMW: I absolutely agree with the Tony theory. Along with that goes a bit of trivia I learned.

Of all the charcters on the show, Tony is the only one to have appeared in EVERY episode thus far.
bobC
---

some will win, some will lose,
some were born to sing the blues,
the movie never ends,
it goes on and on and on and on........

i agree- the writers gave themselves a wide range of options so that any one of those main characters could disappear convincingly. And they could easily bring in some good new talent to wrap it up, and for continuity, they could meanwhile develope some "minor" or less exposed characters that have good potential if brought back in, like Deanna the wife of Eugene Pontecorvo, who showed elements of ambition and greed (before Gene hanged himself-)that would make for another fitting character on this show. Most of Tony's mistresses could be brought back in for renewed plotlines, especially one-legged Svetlana- she's a fantastic character.

Fly; I agree regarding Chris. In his particular case I think the overdose would actually be more plausible than New York taking care of him. I certainly agree as far as Tony is concerned; the show lost a bit of it's appeal (for me) during 6A when Tony was in his coma (not referring to the Finnerty storyline which was brilliant, but the time when he was onscreen but comatose). And when he came around, and said to Carmela "I'm dead, right?" it sparked into life for me again. it IS the Tony Soprano show, ultimately.

Badabellisima; interesting you mentioned Deanna Pontecorvo. I actually thought that in her small time on screen the actress who played her did a fantastic job. And I recall at the time seeing a couple of other posters, either here or at Sopranoland, who agreed. In fact one person seemed completely taken by her, as if she should be awarded for the work - I wouldnt quite go that far but I wouldn't have minded seeing a bit more of her, though I can't see it happening myself.

Svetlana I would really like to see - especially around Janice, she was great! I just hope we have seen the last of Irina, I think her needy whining is past it's sell by date by now!

JTF, Very thought out post. I am glad however that all of the main and supporting cast all signed new contracts to finish the final eight forever:-(

Even though I think Chase is right to finally end the show while the show is at it's best. I also agree with Fly that Tony is the centerpiece of the show without him for the last eight or at least seven and a half it wouldn't be a show to write without that main character. I don't think Chase will kill him off at least not the whole guy maybe Tony will end up being Kevin Finnity after all. The wife Kevin was talking on the phone could be Carms twin but she has a different name. The same for his kids they look alot like Meadow and AJ but they have different names.

But in order for Tony to become Kevin F he has to change completely and own all of his personality. T was starting to change into him in season 6A but then he had a few relapses into the old Tony which included his old temper and getting OS from someone who wasn't his wife. Not once but possible twice if it wasn't full S in the very quick glimpse of Tony seen putting on his shirt with a woman in the background with dark long hair the face wasn't seen. I could tell he didn't get any pleasure from that encounter and he was feeling disgusted with himself for relapsing. He wasn't the man who took pleasure in having any sex with another woman other than Carm like in season 1.

I still believe Tony will change into Kevin Finnity. I was disappointed when he made those relapses but then I told myself that Tony relapsing was bad judgement on his part but I think he still wants to change. I also thought of his steps into changing into the person he wants to be is like any addict who wants to stay clean from their addictions. They may relapse but get back up and try again.

He did show alot of signs of changing for the better in episode 12 of 6A.
When he wore that baret in the first time since the show began. Six seasons ago he would have told Carm and Meadow where to go for having him where that baret. He would have also said no to wearing the baret completely and thrown the hat on the ground.

He also finally gave Carm her independance too finally work in real estate by talking to the inspector and getting the permit to finish her spec house. I also think that was the most unmaterialistic present he has gotten Carm since the show began. I also think it is the happiest I have seen her react to his gifts he has presented to her. Because she has finally gotten one of things she has truly wanted which was her independance to work and be on the road to the woman she knows Tony admires. She also wants to compete with Angie in the work world.LOL!!! I am willing to predict maybe Chase having Carm finally making alot money to live on will be their cue to be a true Soprano and sing.

I also think he meant all he said to Phil in the hospital despite making fun of him with his crew before he went to see Phil.

Fly, I hope this is kept on subject of this topic. If not could you move it for me. Sorry if it is. I am new to the board. I know I will have fun posting here. You also do a great job of keeping up the board.

I forgot to say. Tony wasn't just getting the spec house fineshed and Carm's career back on track because he changed. He also did it because she also didn't let up on why Adrianna was MIA and he knew if she succeeded in hiring the PI he would tell her he was involved. He would have to struggle with making the dicision of running with Carm or having her silenced. He couldn't bare the thought of losing her again this time for good so he knew what she really wanted and kept her from finding out the truth. He also would cry uncontrollably like when his fear of the ducks flying away. In this case she would be the wild bird she mated with and made a family with.

Although he could have told her Silvio had to do it because she was a rat. If she knew that she would be upset at first but would be on Tony's side. I also think he was doing this favor to carm to show her he loves and wants to support and respect her. Even though some of his helping her was to protect their happier life together. Better than it was in the beginning but still not perfect.

IMO, I think she wanted him to prove to her he was the strong and powerful man she fell in love with and because of that. He proved it to her by getting the man to give Carm the permit to finesh the spec house.

I am torn on whether I think Adrianna will be brought up again. But I think 6B will also be about the depths of Carms love for Tony and if she would be happy to leave with him if he were to ever sing. I think she would like she said she would in season 1 when he was shot the first time and Agent Harris asked him to think about The WPP.

I also think we will see conflict of the two Tony and Carm's like we have through the whole series. I also think the next time we see Carm she will have fineshed the spec house and working on another spec house if not more and selling used houses on the market. I also think her self esteem will be raised because she is finally independant and making money herself. I also think her sex life with Tony might be better because of her self esteem improving and her reawakened passion for sex returns like in season five and some of season six before he mind went on other things. Such as AJ, the spec house, and Ade.Tony will love that and find it erotic like in Marco Polo.

Silly me I forgot to add my thoughts on whether I think Carm will ever think about or talk about Ade again. Most of me thinks she will continue to think of Ade along with all the other people she has known personally and all of a sudden they are MIA. As part of her conflict with being married to the mob and letting Tony and her living off the mob. She also has to deal with this, tell each other they don't want to live this way anymore and sing like the Sopranos in the operas. I do think she will also have to tackle all her feelings of love for Tony and what she really loves about and hates about his personality. IMO, I think she will have higher self esteem when the show comes back in 2007 for 6B but she will also have to tackle her own demons and kill off the bad part of her like T.

That is if Tony and Carmela are really real and not made up by Kevin Finnety. Season six B will determine once and for all what Chase wants to end the show with Tony being a real character along with Carmela or Kevin F is the real one along with his wife who has to look like Carm but goes by a different name too.

I also want to add I think Tony and Carmela do have alot of potential at being a very happy, inlove, and satisfied couple. If Tony/Kevin can forgive and forget what Livia and his father Johnny did to him. Tony and Carm have to fight their weakness to live off the mob anymore. Yes, we have seen much of Kevin and his wifes marriage but we have seen how much they both love each other and their commitment to each other. They even verbalized their I love u's to each other and how they miss each other. Even though he was only talking on the phone to her because he was away on vacation.

He was tempted to cheat but stopped because he loves his wife and kids and doesn't want to hurt her. She also wont stand for him cheating on her. With no conditions. I actually think Chase was showing how he wants to see Tony and Carms relationship at the end of the show for the better. When T and C unite as one and don't let anyone or anything come between them. She works for a living and he makes a honest living. She also wants a faithful,loving,stong,and honest man period no exceptions. She also is the independant,smart,drop dead beautiful woman he admires.

Tony and Carm were alot more affectionate and loving toward each other this year more than other years. Tony did stop sex from happening with Julianna Skiff which was very identical to the stopped sex of Kevin and Lee which was short for Livia. Even though he did relapse in episode 11 season six with letting a stripper give him OS. He also tried to have a second chance with Julianna but she turned him down. I still believe he can go recover from the relapse and contunue of the road to being faithful.He try once more with Julianna because he still isn't over what his mom did to him. I was glad to see he was finally realizing and understanding what Dr Melphi was saying about his attraction to woman who look like Livia after Julianna turned him down. I think when he moves on from Livia and Carm makes it clear to him she won't settle for him sleeping with other women along with her anymore. She wants him to be true to her.

T and Carm did also did tell each other I love you a few times. Their phone conversation while she was in Paris and him in NJ reminded me alot of Kevin and his wifes conversations in his NDE. I do think their sex life is better and more frequent than the start of the series but it isn't perfect yet. I think we might see it even better in 6B if she gets her self esteem back from working for a living and AJ is too involved now with his new girlfriend to put a damper on their sex life like Tony said to Dr Melphi. He said their house has been reaking lately and isn't a afodisiac for him and carm because of AJ causing trouble and coming between them. IMO, I think there is still alot of love,passion,heat,attraction,lust, and romance between T and C they just need to act on it.

After watching the one sex scene they did have this year. I could see he was right AJ did definately ruined their afterglow and scare Tony off. He was very excited with their lovemaking until AJ made it known he was home with the drums and then they knew something was wrong. I also want to say I think Carm did come because he told her to keep coming even after she was starting to worry about his scar. But I think it wasn't for very long because of the scar. I also was reiminded TPTB orginally had Tony ask her if she came in a TCA clip but they edited it out before they showed 6A. I think they did that because they wanted T to know for sure she came or it is one of the storys they are leaving open for 6B so they left it alone until then.

The first when he was in the hospital but he couldn't hear because he was in the hospital. Then she said she should say I love you more. Then Tony said you have a husband who loves you when trying to cheer her up in episode12 season 6A because her spec house was shot to heck and she wanted info on Ade.
After reading interviews and watching all the episode I believe Chase does want Tony and Carms marriage to be happy and successful. He has had Dr Melphi say a few times she thinks there is hope for their marriage but they need to unite completely in every way. He also wouldn't have Carm cry the way she did when Tony was in a coma and telling him she loves him if he didn't want them together. He also would have kept them apart after she kicked him in Whitecaps instead of having them get back together.

The issue I see with them just making someone dissapear other than junior and meadow would be that the show from what I understand is going to be in real time basically as was season 6 (for the most part) and it ended on christmas and is going to start up as Jan. 07 I cant see alot of things happening to people in one week.

Return to “Season 6, Part 2, Non Spoiler-Based Speculation/Discussion”