Re: Episode Review and General Comments

Billymac, I observed the same thing when I watched the episode. Very good reply to my post, I didn't make note of that. I agree with the reaction to the double take, it seemed the thought did cross his mind. My only problem with this is that it wasn't Carlo who took the first shot, it was Sil. Also, the fact he got killed I feel was more a spur of the moment thing, like when Paulie and Chris took out the Russian. It wasn't planned, but because of tempers and back decsions, it happened. In the seconds from when Sil hit Fat Dom to when Carlo sliced him, I doubt Carlo had enough time to put 2+2 together and realize this pool cue fact, especially because it could be a coincidence that he knew that.

On the other hand, David Chase may have put that little clue in for us to figure this much out, so I guess we will never know for sure.

</p>

Soccerstud652, your point about Sil being the first to hit Dom is a good one and it supports his being killed as the flaring of tempers over the ballbusting alone. However, let me put a "middle" case to you and see what you think.

Carlo and Sil, having heard Dom's pool cue slip, knew Dom was involved in whacking Vito. But knowing that even if Phil did do it, Tony had (publicly at least) accepted the "net result", and did not order any tit-for-tat killing in retaliation. So their immediate reaction was to let it pass even if they now knew that Dom had helped to kill Vito.

Sil didn't hit Dom immediatley after he mentioned the pool cue. Instead Dom was spouting one insult after another before Sil actually crowned him with the dustbuster. And, Sil actually tried to get him out of there.

But Dom's cotinued insults, especially the one about Carlo's lipstick on Vitos member was like rubbung their noses in the fact that he and Phil could kill one of the NJ made guys with impunity. That became the breaking point for Sil who then cracked Dom in the head followed by Carlo fileting him.

</p>

Billymac, I think that that was the way Chase wanted viewers to see it as. Chase creating this scenario has given the viewer two real options to decipher and question:

1. Did Sil and Carlo know from the pool-cue slip that NY was behind the Vito hit?

2. Was it just a flaring of tempers in a very delicate situation?

Either way, I really think that the whole point of this scene was not for us (the viewers) to figure out if NY was behind it, because we know that. I believe Chase is starting to set up what Tony exclaimed was going to happen, retailiation slayings. Whether or not NJ can prove it was NY is irrelevant to Tony and the NJ crew. This is a personal matter that Phil jumped the gun on. I think this is going to open a pandora's box to an all-out war between NY and NJ. Obviouslly NY is going to know Fat Dom has disappeared, and since he was making a special pick up at Satriale's, they are going to finger NJ. I don't know if Dom was a made man or not, but now we have 2 dead men, one from each faction, and I have a feeling the body count is going to rise.

</p>

Th Sopranos kids, the birds(ducks)

I think despite all Carm's angst and worry about the kids they are both going down the paths of their respective parents. It was chilling to me when Meadow told her parents she was going to California. She had all these reasons why it was a good thing, but Carm summed it up by saying something about 'What I hear you saying that you're following this man...' something like that. That's exactly what Carm did. She gave up her life to live in Tony's world.

AJ seems destined to go down the path of Tony. I know most of the posters think AJ is a total screw up, but I've always thought he would have been a much more ruthlesss mobster than Tony. Like Tony he justifies himself and his actions, and often like Tony doesn't see it. But unlike Tony he doesn't exhibt an ounce of introspection or remorse...ever Carm said something like this. AJ to me could become the consumate self-serving; power-hungry mobster. I remember that fight at the party he hosted. He liked watching his friends beat up on those kids. That shot of his face was priceless.

For Carm, Paris was heaven (versus Tony's Finenrty world, which I think was his hell). Like a poster said it could have been her life without Tony. All the characters this year have been on this "what if..." journey.

Despite her efforts, the kids are becoming them. I thought is was poignant when she asked the same thing that Tony did..."Who am I? Where am I going". Typical empty nester comment...she did her best, gave her life to her family....didn't do as well as she'd hoped....now what.

Lastly, there were several shots with birds flying off in Paris. Don't know exactly what it means, but clearly arcs to the ducks from season one.

</p>

Re: Th Sopranos kids, the birds(ducks)

Meadow has used her father's power many times to her advantage, even getting her intern job wa strhough him. She will see how hard the world is on her own without her father's help and come back to Jersey. As for AJ, Tony would never allow himt o get involved, and even if he did, he wouldn't last, he just isn't smart enough. He may have the greed, but he does not have the brains.

</p>

Sure Meadow leaving is a good thing for her. She's way too smart to be there. I've actually been waiting for this for a while. I just hope she does come back. or we get some good stories from california while she's there. Like how hard it is on her own. It would just suck with 9 episodes left that that's the way she goes out and we never see her again. besides her being awesomely HOT, she's a great charachter I think. She's smart and deep and it's been a while since she's had a really important story line. Since Jackie J.R. I think. and oh, yeah she's friggin HOT.

</p>

Meadow leaves for California to follow Finn. Some members have commented here that Meadow's action paralells Carmella's young life (following a man and putting her own possibilites on hold).

Does anyone see another paralell: Meadow leaves for California, like a young Janice, while her brother A.J. stays at home and "flirts" with the fringes of a criminal life, like a young Tony.

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.11: Cold Stones”