Re:JohnnyCakes

SoccerStud,
Really? I think Jim would have a far more complex reaction (to Vito's demise) than "I'm fine with that". It's hard to gauge how long Jim and Vito were together, but it's obvious that there was an intense connection between them. He would have, at least, freaked out when he read the story.

</p>

Re: Re:JohnnyCakes

don't think this has been posted yet (apologies if it has) but on rewatch of 'cold stones' i noticed that the shot of fat dom's dead body clearly shows 2 distinct spots of blood - i immediately flashed back to the 2 spots of blood that eugene smears over the map of NY in 'members only'

</p>

Re: Re:JohnnyCakes

Yeh, I think after the way Vito screwed him over constantly; fighting him twice, lying to him constantly, and then just up and leaving, that he would not have taken Vito back or cared about Vito anymore. Johnnycakes was a no-nonsense type of guy it seemed, and when Vito tried calling for forgiveness, he tols Vito to basically F off. Maybe it would have touched him on a deeper level that Vito was dead, but I honestly think he moved on with his life.

</p>

Re: Episode Review and General Comments

VincentVegaLondon asked:
<blockquote>Quote:<hr>Anyway, one question remains though, who does Tony call from the car after leaving the Bing and driving off?<hr></blockquote>

I think he was calling the construction guy that AJ was to report to the following morning.

The next scene he arrives home, to the surprise of AJ & friends, and calls him into the garage to break the news (and the windshield) to him.

--
BobbyBuz
"Everything happens for a reason"</p>

Another very good episode. Plenty of classic mob action like the killings of Fat Dom from NY and Vito as well as featuring Carm in a different way.
To me Carm in Paris was important to show her character in this series. Others have noted here her observations and thoughts in Paris and the moral conflicts she has of her life, but to me it also noted her asking what if I hadn't married with Tony, perhaps I could have ended up with a more sophicated and interesting life. Don't forget too she is facing an empty nest, with AJ an adult (well, to some extent), Meadow pretty much gone from the house in moving to California to be with Finn and Tony out of the house most of the time. She also has few friends she can talk too and even then as we saw her with Roh, the problems there too. To me she is very lonely and has few alternatives. These were very important points to make as well as others that have already posted about.
I loved Tony's tough love with AJ, to me it was the best way to deal with him. By arranging the construction job then smashing the windshield he made the point that AJ has to get his life together but without harming him directly which he really couldn't do and would make things worse. I do fear that he may die on the job in an accident, or while partying in NY or otherwise getting stupid.
The stabbing of Fat Dom was to even things out as Phil killed one of Tony's made guys especially as Dom was talking down of Vito, making fun of him. Despite the gay issue, he was still a made guy and one of them. Yes, it may set up a NY-NJ war, but I think it will be over shortly with Carmine in NY being a key factor in setting up a deal, to protect his turf as much as anything. Besides, with Sac in jail the Feds will be looking closely at the NY mob for any fill in of Sac's role and so they all may need to lay low for a while.
I thought when Tony was getting the hummer in his car, that he was having a heart attack. Ah, Tony is back. It's too bad he didn't kill Vito off first, like he had to do with Big P. He could have done it like big P, in a clean way with no evidence of his death.
Meadow is gone from the family in NJ. She is conflicted as to her father, but unlike her mother, was able to get a real life away from the mob and she is going to move away from it.
The whole way the Vito killing was set up, his last desprite acts (including Phil 'comming out of the closet' scene) was terrifying and great. I also liked how they showed the conflicted and confused reactions of those around and knew him after his death, especially his kids, Phil, and even the guy who took the photograph of Vito for the weight loss ad. It showed the range of affects the lives of such men have in our lives.

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>It's too bad he didn't kill Vito off first, like he had to do with Big P. He could have done it like big P, in a clean way with no evidence of his death.<hr></blockquote>
The Big Pussy whacking was because he flipped to the Feds. Tony had no choice in that matter. As for Vito's thing, he (Tony) was dragging his feet, trying to avoid the issue. He most likely would have given him (Vito) a pass if it weren't for the pressure put to him by Phil.

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>The stabbing of Fat Dom was to even things out as Phil killed one of Tony's made guys <hr></blockquote>
Fat's Dom's stabbing was not to even things out, Sil and Carlo acted in the spur of the moment because Fatso was "busting their balls." There was no planning done to get even with Phil because of Vito. It may have come at a later time, but not in relation to the Fat Dom stabbing.

--
BobbyBuz
"Everything happens for a reason"</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>Fat's Dom's stabbing was not to even things out, Sil and Carlo acted in the spur of the moment because Fatso was "busting their balls." There was no planning done to get even with Phil because of Vito. It may have come at a later time, but not in relation to the Fat Dom stabbing<hr></blockquote>

That's the way I see it too. Tony's revenge on Phil was shaping up to be a financial penalty of some sort. Tony was contemplating taking a piece of one of Phil's operations. That is why he was talking to Sil about Phil's "wire-store" and noted that the only thing Phil cares about is money. So Tony was planning to make Phil understand that his unilateral act of killing one of Tony's captains was going to hurt him where he cared about it the most (hopefully as a deterrent to similar future acts).

Unfortunately, matters escalated out of hand between Dom Gamiello, Sil and Carlo.

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>Carlo and Sil didn't even know that the Fat Dom was involved with the Vito slaying<hr></blockquote>

I think they might have known, but I'm not totally sure. The Soprano crew heavily suspected it was Phil and his boys that did the hit but they had no proof. If Phil's crew did whack Vito they never expected them to brag about it or admit to it.

But when Tony and his crew were discussing the hit, Bobby Baccala told them that a pool cue was shoved up Vito's ass. Bobby got this bit of information from his police contact in the Fort Lee police department who in turn got it from the homicide detectives assigned to the case. This little fact might not have been revealed to the public or press by the detectives.

When Dom Gamiello starts busting balls about Vito's death he makes reference to this tidbit. I could swear I saw Carlo do a doubletake when Dom mentioned the pool cue, almost as if Dom had given away his involvement by revealing this non-public fact.

Of course I could be mistaken about all of this. The pool cue could have been reported and/or word could have gotten back to many other mobsters about it in the same manner that Bobby got it. They also could have been talking in the ranks and such a fact could have spread like wildfire through the local O.C community.

But there was something about Carlo's kneejerk reaction at Dom's mention of the pool cue that led me to think that Dom had slipped up and solidified the Sopranos suspicions.

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.11: Cold Stones”