Re: AJ's friend and their parallels

for clarification purposes, Anthony Jr's friend's first name was spelled "Hernan" in the credits.

Like Indy 500 driver Helio, Castronevez, the "H" is silent. Is Chase telling us that he is into heroin, on the side?

The kid's last name is "O'Brien", which obviously is Irish in its origins. As someone w/ Irish background, he's probably 3 or 4+ generations as an American.

Can anybody make some sense of this?? they've mentioned this kid's name in Season 6 more than some of the main characters... not a common name whatsoever.

</p>

Hernan is a rude, spoiled kid of the parvenu. His name feels pretentious to me, and I believe that it is designed to communicate to the viewer that although he is a poseur, he still has the ability to yank AJ's chain. Hernan does not have the makings of a varsity athlete, and was rude as well as sarcastic to Tony with his "Good evening, Signore" remark. If AJ were not so riddled with insecurity, he would have thrashed this kid for being disrespectful to his father.

</p>

Remember Tony's comment to AJ in the beginning of the season about family being the ones who won't let you down in the end? AJ doesn't get it at this point.

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>If AJ were not so riddled with insecurity, he would have thrashed this kid for being disrespectful to his father.<hr></blockquote>

I agree w/ OE. AJ still identifies more with his friends than with his family. For many teenagers, it takes going off to college to truly appreciate your family. Obviously, that hasn't been the case w/ AJ.

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>What gets me is that Carm and Tony are demanding from AJ that which they were never willing to do themselves ... work hard for an honest day's pay.<hr></blockquote>

Well, I think Carmela gets off the hook here, she did raise those two bloody brats.

Well, being a successful mobster (let alone boss) takes a lot of hardwork, determination and balls.....the honest day's pay is another matter. LOL.

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.11: Cold Stones”