Re: Episode Review and General Comments

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>This storyline should have ended at least two episodes ago; it's obvious. They could have had Vito out of sight and out of mind and only showed us his escape and return; we know how this show likes to leave certain things to the imagination, and that's where Dartford and James Hetfield and all this other stuff should have stayed, especially when many of the "major" characters have been given the short shrift in terms of screen time this season<hr></blockquote>

This succinctly summarizes my feelings about the drawn out screen time devoted to Vito's story line as well; more time was devoted to Vito, a MINOR character, than was necessary to properly tell his story as it relates to Tony. Meanwhile, in about 20 minutes, we learn that Christopher, a MAJOR character, has a new pregnant girlfriend, they get married and are buying a house.

The time devoted to these 2 storylines should have been reversed.

</p>

Re: crap

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>One item I seem to be having a different take on was the scene involving Bobby Jr and Janice. I saw it as Tony actually seeing Janice succeeding with parenting Bobby Jr, compared to Tony/Carmela's attempts with AJ. The parallels of how different the results were between AJ and Bobby Jr - and the shots of Tony sitting there watching the whole thing, may be part of the excuse of why he "rewarded" Janice with the new palace.<hr></blockquote>

That was my take, as well. A lot of people tend to look at Janice's harshness as pure Livia, but this was constructive harshness. Twice we saw Bobby Jr. crap all over Bobby Sr., blowing him off in front of his boss, no less. In walks Janice, who with a few words not only stops his insolence but has him going upstairs to finish neglected homework.

I saw admiration from Tony in those moments and a recognition that Janice is becoming a better mother than he might ever have imagined. I've seen her slowly changing and evolving since marrying Bobby, to the point where she really seems to be an acceptable mother to Domenica and Sophia. Ideal? No. Acceptable? Yes. And she even seems to be coming around re Bobby Jr.

</p>

Janice has always "ran" things in that household. I don't think she has evolved into a good mother or person, but has had the same characteristics all along. One example of this I can remember is before her and Bobby were even married, Bobby Jr. makes a glass of chocolate milk and she pours it right down the drain because it is before dinner time. Also, I can vaguely remember her not allowing Sophia to have soda to the same effect. She is just a bossy woman who wants things done her way; the Soprano way. I think Tony finds it amusing on how she runs the house and wears the pants. He sees Bobby as a big joke.

</p>

Also Janice is the stepmom to the 2 older kids. She probably doesnt favor them like she does the baby and after abandoning her older son Hal who would be probably around 22 now Im guessing...she is probably trying to be good with the baby although she doesnt mind cussing in front of it. LOL!

"Please stop feeding the dog with the food from the table with the plate on top of it. " - Karen Hill from Goodfellas.</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>Think there may be something with Vito coming back to NJ and hearing Meadow whine about not getting laid enough and Finn always hanging out at his friends apartment? Could Vito and Finn run into each other at a gay bar?<hr></blockquote>

I just watched the episode . . . and that's exactly what I thought from this scene in the kitchen with Tony and Meadow. Either that, or somehow we find out Finn is gay/bi some other way and it ties into Vito. Of course, could just be the high content of the subject matter putting it in our minds, but seemed like a specific complaint put there for a reason. Also, Finn was fidgety in that last glimpse of him at the end.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p098.ezboard.com/bthechaselounge ... ofAlice</A> at: 5/15/06 10:36 pm

I think the scene with Janice and Bobby Jr. shows not only Janice as Liv, but Bobby Jr. as Tony and Bobby as Johny Boy. The Bacala family has two girls and a boy.

Melfi has been trying for awhile to get Tony to express his anger with his father for getting him into the biz. He has always lashed out at his mother, but not Johnny Boy. That's why he put up with Junior so long. He was a stand in for his father.

Janice feels the anger Tony has toward her in the beginning of the episode. She even asks him why he has such rage. Tony tries to understand it in Melfi's office, but still can't come to terms with is dad. Janice was 'heroic' toward Liv. What did Johnny Boy do?

His shitting on Bobby B. is somehow like shitting on his father, who shit on him. He hasn't internalized this yet. I think Janice's style is awful, but at least someone is standing up for Bobby Jr. He's loved. Tony sees that what Liv and Johnny had for him wasn't love...and possibly giving AJ (and Meadow) everything isn't love either. He knows they're headed down a path of doom. He's known since the ducks.

He has repressed anger toward Carmella for not being stronger with AJ. Melfi asked him about this a couple of episodes ago. He said something like she did the best she could. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Melfi also told him Tony & Carm needed to be on the same page w/ AJ. Next scene Carm hands AJ money for a suit though he's being punished.

The references to three extends to Johnny Boy, AJ & Tony...the father, son and holy ghost? Seriously, the trinity....three persons in one god.....something like the three monks were trying to tell Tony...they're all the same...

Tony needs to get past Liv and get to the heart of his issues with his dad. The closest he ever got was with the mistress story line and when his mom had the miscarrage and T had to lie for his dad. Depression is anger turned inward according to Melfi. He can't beat his depression till he gets the anger out. I fear it will be too late for his family though.

</p>

I too am a little annoyed with the drawn out Vito/Johnny Cakes angle. But I do think Chase has his reasons. Imo, DC is doing his best to make Vito a sympathetic character (fleeing his loved ones, living a lie, falling in love) and he’s also trying to humanize him and make him likeable again (recall his annoying ‘I could be boss” bs during the first 3 episodes or the money situation with Carm). Ultimatley Chase wants us to feel sorry for Vito, and its worked, at least from my perspective. I’m actually rooting for Vito.

Chase did the exact same thing with Ralph Cifaretto. Ralph was a despicable character, but you sympathized with him when his son was in the accident. You’ll recall the gut wrenching hospital scenes, Ralph making amends with Ro Aprile, talking to father Phil – he got a lot of face time during those couple episodes.

I won’t post what I think will happen to Vito, but we know what happened to Ralphie. . . . .

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.10: Moe N' Joe”