Re: Christopher's Progression/Regression

Well, first the Tony enabling thing. They had just made a score together, stole a bunch of wine, and gotten shot at. But the experience is hollow without Tony being able to share the full experience (including the drinking of the wine) without Chris. I don't think Tony wanted Chris to fall off the wagon, he just selfishly didn't want to be the only one enjoying the "fruits" of their enterprise.

As for the heroin throwing up, when people do heroin it often causes nausea. I don't know this from personal experience, but I have seen it. Even snorting heroin can cause that nausea and throwing up.

What we saw from Christopher here was a test of his self-discipline that he failed miserably. Remember that he has paid Corky twice in heroin now, and even when he was in possession of it he wasn't tempted. It wasn't until he allowed himself to see Corky's ritual of preparing the dope, and then saw the look of ecstacy on Corky's face that he was tempted. He doesn't know where his own lines are, he should have told Corky that he couldn't shoot up in his car. If he had done that, it would have been alright.

It showed that Christopher is not ready to commit to a life of going home after work to his wife and kid (note that he told Corky he'd be coming over to Chris' house, maybe around Christmas time). If Chris was serious about settling down into a mature adult life, he wouldn't be making stupid comments like that. Obviously (I hope!) Chris wouldn't entertain thoughts of having heroin junkie errand boys over to his house and around his wife and kids, let alone on special events.

</p>

Great post....It's the utter lack of boundaries that is worrisome in Chris. Want some Hollywood swag? Knock down old lady Lauren Bacall to get it! In recovery? You can justify a glass of wine (or a bottle). Starting to jones? Call it chipping (as he did last season), snort a little, say it's because you're under stress....

Not only does he have no self control, apparently, neither does Kelli. She didn't take responsibility for her reproductive ability (neither did he), she's drinking while pregnant....what a match.

</p>

BIGTIME, Gray eagle. HIV seems to be the magic bullet that misses everyone on this series, at least so far. All kinds of unprotected (and sometimes substance-influenced) sex acts, tons of IV drug use in Chris' case (did he share that needle with the hitman?), bodily fluids galore....and no one is HIV+? Might not be on Chase's priority list but it's surprising that nobody has been affected.

</p>

------------------------
did he share that needle with the hitman?
------------------------

I observed the hitman taking off the cap of his needle with his teeth, which would indicate to me that they are using new disposable needles, so I would guess no needle sharing. However, that implies these guys are smart and attentive to vital details. Which, on the other hand, is are not qualities that are terribly well supported by mainlining heroin....

"Pain is the cleanser!" - Ned Flanders </p>

I agree that ultimately Christopher is responsible for his own behavior and addiction, but I think you let Tony off too easily by just attributing his actions to the "spirit of the moment". He is an enabler, pure and simple. And you need to question his motivations. Don't forget he told Christopher to start drinking again when he and Tony B went up the farm.

Christopher will surely fall back to his old ways unless he gets help from Murmur and AA, and support from the one person he thinks has his back.

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>Well, first the Tony enabling thing. They had just made a score together, stole a bunch of wine, and gotten shot at. But the experience is hollow without Tony being able to share the full experience (including the drinking of the wine) without Chris. I don't think Tony wanted Chris to fall off the wagon, he just selfishly didn't want to be the only one enjoying the "fruits" of their enterprise.<hr></blockquote>
I think Tony is so full of anger, distrust, and selfishness that he would secretly enjoy seeing Christopher relapse. That would once again give him complete control over CM's life and future.

Tony is a control freak. Think about the many instances of perverse enjoyment Tony has gotten out of others' suffering. It's just part of his sociopathic personality.

</p>

"That's the guy, Adriana. My Uncle Tony. The guy I'm going to hell for."

Christopher's prescience regarding his fate truly took shape in this episode. We even caught a glimpse of helldog, Cerberus at the the gates of Hades awaiting C's arrival. I noted no psychological progression or emergence, in that Chris's behaviors that appeared to be healthy and altruistic, through my lens, were merely defended acts of "undoing." Specifically, his hasty marriage to the pitifully submissive and codependent Kelly was, for Chris, an attempt to rewrite or undo his sacrifice of Adriana. His purchase of "Wayne Manor": the impulsivity of an unrecovered addict.

His sobriety was weak and his grasp of AA/NA tenets and sponsorship were fraudulent. It is hard for me to characterize his devolution as a relapse, when it did not appear that he had ever truly gained any sort of foothold in healthy sobriety. While I appreciated his narrative to Corky about the humiliations and deprivational pain of living with an alcoholic mother, his historical experience did not seem to put into motion for him the resolve that it instills in so many ACOAs who earnestly attempt to break the cycle of generational familial alcoholism/addiction.

He is doomed, I feel. His penchant for self-destruction as I see it is just too ingrained to reverse. There is speculation afoot regarding AIDS. Who knows...his judgement is so poor at this point, that he is susceptible to just about any manner of physical death.

Added: Whoa...I sound harsh above. I actually enjoy Christopher, believe it or not, and harbor much affection for struggling addicts. At the same time, this kind of self-defeating behavior just gets to me...always has, and always will.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p098.ezboard.com/bthechaselounge ... vingEgo</A> at: 5/9/06 11:59 pm

Return to “Episode 6.09: The Ride”