Re: Episode Review and General Comments

I found the scene between Tony and Carmella talking about Adrianna very interesting watching it again. It begins with Tony being very restless, looking in the refrigerator and cabinets for food (all the while the wine is sitting on the kitchen counter). Carm offers food including tofu which the doctor would appreciate (shows how Carm influences Tony to the good - or at least trys). Then during the conversation, when it starts to get a little heated, Tony gets up (on his sprained ankle) and has a bottle of wine. At the end, Tony sums it up with "let's not sabotage his (Chris') progress" - just days after Tony sabotaged Chris' progress by offering wine to him and letting him know it was ok.

</p>

Re: Tony's Sprained Ankle

tony realizes his sprained ankle right after he and chris congratulate each other on how kickass and 'old school' they were during the hijacking. tony says 'opportunity knocks' chris says 'knocked? kicked the f*cking door in' ---then tony gets out and cries out in pain, realizing he sprained his ankle.

i saw it as another example of tony no longer being able to be his old self in the 'old school' world ... on another level, I viewed it as another version of the 'aren't we so lucky?' sentiments we've heard all season ('opportunity knocks') the sprained ankle seemed like an omen/foreshadowing in this context.

i like the achilles heal mentioned above

also, who knows, maybe the ankle foreshadows the coming 'fall' we got a glimpse at when finnerty stumbled down the stairs ?

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>Yeah, I too wondered about the significance of the sprained ankle...achilles heel?<hr></blockquote>
An Achilles' heel is a fatal weakness in spite of overall strength, actually or potentially leading to downfall. While the mythological origin refers to a physical vulnerability, metaphorical references to other attributes or qualities that can lead to their downfall are common.

The Iliad describes the death of Achilles from a heel wound as the result of an arrow fired by Paris.

According to a myth arising later, his mother, Thetis, had dipped the infant Achilles in the river Styx, holding onto him by his heel, and he became invulnerable where the waters touched him -- that is, everywhere but the areas covered by her thumb and forefinger -- implying that only a heel wound could have been his downfall.

The use of "Achilles' heel" (or "Achilles heel") as an English expression for "area of weakness, vulnerable spot" dates only to 1855 (Merriam-Webster).

The Achilles' heel as a singular weakness is a cliche in superhero comics.

Based on this, I'm betting his injury, if it gets more screen time, will be diagnosed as the achilles tendon and not a sprained ankle.

--
BobbyBuz
"Everything happens for a reason"</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p098.ezboard.com/bthechaselounge ... corsale</A> at: 5/9/06 7:44 pm

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>Hey, if it is an achillis tendon, I deserve some sort of prize, right?<hr></blockquote>

CCC...if you are right I'll talk to the Boss about letting you "wet your beak" as the "recording secretary" of the first annual Chase Lounge "Saint Melfi" Feast. But don't cheap out on the amuesements.

</p>

The wine theft

I thought of it at the time, but it occurred to me again tonight for some reason.

Doesn't it seem awfully risky for Tony to have robbed that wine from (foreseeably AND actually) armed men in his own car? If a bullet had hit and lodged in the back of the car, and Tony got pulled over for say a broken tail-light (another stray bullet possibly), that would have been a LOT of questions to answer, especially given the amount of un-receipted wine he had in the trunk. With what I read somewhere about the value of the wine in the trunk, it seems like an awfully stupid way to go to jail, over grand larceny.

Other than Tony's impulsiveness, where do you guys come down on this?

One other thought: How long do we think Chris has been dating Kelly? The guys didn't seem incredibly shocked that he had gotten married, but was that just a recognition of how impulsive he is? Remember that in one of the first episodes Tony comments that the past year has been good, leading me to think that maybe as much as 14-15 months have passed since Adrianna's "disappearance." I know we don't know the answer to this, but I didn't get the feeling that Chris had been only seeing her for a super-short period of time.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p098.ezboard.com/bthechaselounge ... dCoffee</A> at: 5/9/06 9:49 pm

I thought it was entertaining episode and had very interesting scenes throughout. It kept up the ongoing themes of greed vs. the changing times for the mob this season has had.
That priest was someone who knew something was fishy with the take from the festival and put the mob into the corner on it. In real life the San Gereraro festival in NY City's Little Italy had the mob taken out of it too a number of years ago, and made the profits go to the churches. By not allowing the 'golden hat' on the Saint's statue on it the Priest let the public know the mob knows the times had changed.
We saw the stupid greed with the theft of wine by Tony and Chris. We saw how Paulie if facing his greedy beheavor come back to haunt him with the fear of cancer and having to repent to his aunt and de facto mother. We saw how Chris continues to make terrible decisions about life including impusive beheavor from the sudden marriage, the house buy, the drug use and so on.
We also saw the first Sunday dinner at the Sopranos this season with it's issues on the table.
Tony playing with his niece (or nephew?) at the end of the episode to me suggested the innocence of the child, that maybe another chance for a generation to be part of a real family, not in the mob.
Ada's mother confronting Carm at the festival was interesting. I agree with others that her comment about Meadow may fortell of danger to Meadow. I also wonder if Ada's body will be found and thus lead to a major lead to go after Tony's mob family.
Like others, what will become of Chris may be a factor in the rest of the run of this show. Drugs, his anger as to the loss of Adaraiana, his closeness to the 'arabs' all show possible routes to his death or jail. I wonder too if Chris will be the downfall for Tony for those reasons.
Well, only a few more episodes left. Lets' hope they continue to be entertaining and thought probing.

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>I didn't think this guy had a sprained ankle. He walked just like Vito. If that was deliberate, I can't imagine why. So I suppose it wasn't.<hr></blockquote>

I disagree. The guy clearly favored one ankle as he walked away, I think it was the same ankle's as Tony's. Anyone else take a look at this??

</p>

Re: The wine theft

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>We saw the stupid greed with the theft of wine by Tony and Chris.<hr></blockquote>

I'm surprised I haven't seen this point made more often.

Chris sold his five cases for $300? That's $60 per case? So, if there were 12 bottles per case, that's $5 per bottle?

Doesn't that seem like an insanely small money to risk getting shot at? Given that he has a wife and kid on the way, he would risk his life for a puny little bit of money like that?

No matter what evil befalls Chris or Tony in the future, I have to believe they will deserve whatever they get - just on account of the stupidity factor.

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.09: The Ride”