Re: "Your mother DOES NOT find out about this"

Carmela already has admitted - even in this season - that she knows full well what Tony does for a living. She stated she knew exactly what kind of person Tony was when she was dating him in high school.

The only difference is she doesn't want details - and tony certainly isn't going to provide them. She doesn't want to hear that he had whacked Big Pussy, or Aidriana. Or Jackie Jr. or Ralph. Or anything else. But that doesn't mean she doesn't know where all of their money and lifestyle comes from.

They have been married for what, 25 years? There are no more mysteries around the house.

</p>

aw: i could be wrong but i didn't read any of the posts here as implying that carmela wasn't fully aware of Tony's life (though as you and others point out, she is kept in the dark -- sometimes willingly, sometimes not --- about many or most of the unpleasant details, enabling her to enjoy her lifestle and keep guilt at bay)

we saw how unglued Carmela became when she was confronted with AJ breaking thru the family's facade on national TV. being forced to confront AJ's attempt on Junior could be a real demasking moment for her. then again, she might just be outraged, yet stay in denial mode.
regardless, i think keeping it from her just reinforces the double life AJ is part of and probably further adds to his confusion and misunderstanding about it.

</p>

<hr />Eda,

I recall one episode where Tony and Carm visited a school psychologist (or something) and they discussed the possibility of sending AJ to counselling.

Both parents reacted negatively and cited Meadow's experience with a counsellor as reason why they weren't interested.

I may be wrong about the facts - and if so, I apologize. But I'm pretty sure both parents have had the chance to send AJ for counselling and refused.

</p>

Splishak: you are right. they did take a big pass on previous offers to get AJ counseling.

They also never went very far into looking at AJ's possible learning disorder, did they? (though I was never totally clear on whether that was more a commentary on overdiagnosis of learning disorders and ADD in today's world, or whether AJ really had a true problem) it would explain his trouble in school. I thought it was interesting in 'Johnny Cakes' that Carmela's and Tony's reason (at least on the surface) for disapproving of AJ's friend was because he has a reading disability. ?!

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p098.ezboard.com/bthechaselounge ... daMaria</A> at: 5/5/06 6:39 pm

Great thread

One other thing to consider. Is Tony's requirement to keep this from Carm a plan that is doomed to failure? Don't you think this might still come out? Maybe Junior tells someone? (and they beleive him! or someone in the lockup confrims the story) In a fit of rage, trying to prove he's not such a nice kid after all, does AJ disclose this secret to his Mom, earning not only her ire, but Tony's as well?

</p>

I think the reason Tony doesn't want Carm to know is more selfish then trying to protect either Carm or AJ. Wasn't Tony referring earlier in the episode that Carm and AJ fighting was no Aphrodesiac (sp?)? How long do you think it would be for her to be in the right mindset to fulfill Tony's sexual needs after finding out her son tried to kill his uncle? I believe Tony is withholding this information from Carm so she won't withhold sex from Tone any longer (Then necessary).

</p>

I've got to say, i cant help but wonder how far AJ would have gotten in his little quest had he not been busted with the knife. I mean, he has lived a pretty sheltered existence outside of what he knows of "The Godfather", i honestly dont think he would have gotten much further than he actually did, i dont think his character would have the balls to have really pulled it off.

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.08: Johnny Cakes”