Re: Why was Tony so angry after he stopped the Juliana sex?

We mustn't forget the resemblance to Livia in the
character of Mrs. Conti, the old Italian lady wearing
stockings rolled up with garters to her knees, who
sits outside complaining to Tony, about the noise
of the Puerto Rican music next door, right near
Caputo's Live Poultry Shop in the North Ward.

She asks him to do something about it, while
prejudicially mistaking the latin music for black
music and asking Tony how's his nemesis Uncle
Junior. Tony sells the live poultry store for a cool
half-million through the Century 21 real-estate
agent, Julianna, once she makes him the $$$$
offer he can't refuse.

So much for the sentimentality of the old
neighborhood and climbing up "Guinea Gulch,"
or Bloomfield Avenue to North Caldwell. Tony's
far more interested in profiting from the area's
current real estate boom than banging Julianna.

The episode closes with his collectors wondering,
"What the f*** is happening to the neighborhood?

</p>

Tony walking in mad is so easy. Of course he is. I was actually relieved while watching the show when I saw him mad. Like a dryer vent. He has to be mad to release my energy for watching him not fuck her. He has to be mad at Carmela to release his own anger/energy at him not doing it. Has to. This is new to him. If Chase is creating a “changed” Tony, then this is part of it. I would not/ cannot believe it else.

He’s a cheating man (historically). He knows that the best way to deflect attention is to attract a diversion. Simple. Ochcam’s Razor.

Chase could have done this only two ways. One, as he did:. anger, deflection, confusion, all around. questions. which we are left with. perfect.

Or, he could have done it -- Tony goes home and goes back to Carmela’s bed and makes love to her. So happy to be there. No questions about did she come, because we know she did. Everyone all satisfied and lovely. End. Mob boss killed next day. No.

Honestly, what I expected was to see Carmela respond. I’m less concerned that Tony came home angry, and more concerned that she is still in Mother mode. She’s got her feelers out, and a sense of what she wants, a sense of what he gives her and built on that – who is she? Her foundation, where can she go from here? – but will it ever be anything else? likely not. But how I wish it would be. Why did she not respond? Seeing her answer him, his ravings about the smoked turkey – that is where my feelings sank. It’s clear that she liked him because of who he was at the early stages, she knew. But now, two kids later – what is she going to do? There’s power here to encompass. Nagging is a female weakness. Makes men hate us. What I am dying to see Carmela do is empower herself. Not with greed. Call the building inspectors, handle it herself. Except for the priests, she has shown no understanding of her own abilitily. Fuck her father. She could actually make a presence and handle the building inspectors herself – stand up. IF she did this, how hot is she? Hotter than the hot real estate agent. Handle it herself and through that up to Tony. She is his wife, she needs to leverage it. Though she has shown interest in his business, she needs to harness it herself. Outside of him. As lovely as Tony’s maternal instincts are, I want to see Carmela step into her own self. Not mother.

I’ve been a strong proponent of the fact that Tony cannot change sexually, that Tony’s very being includes fucking other women. Like breathing. Where is the line now? If he’s going to be moral now, how does Rusty’s wife feel? Tony has already shown concern for who is going to raise Vito’s chidren. Can he control the life/death of human beings, call for hits and yet raise up the moral feathers for sex?

Did this episode seem heavy handed? Somehow I feel like in this instance that Chase set us up to drop us where he wanted. There was nothing subtle about this episode. It was hard hit – Tony lusting, guys commenting (as she walked on the street) -- Carmela buttoning, JM unbuttoning – obvious points – what is the point? Such a backhand actually – I feel slapped. Yes I saw it. What is wanted in response? I hope for more complex to the circumstance. As I cannot accept the simplicity of making love to Carmela at the beginning to justify not cheating on her at the end. I want why. And, yes to whomever posted about his breathing or emotion at the signing of each page. Each page.

I have to admit that I have not read all of the posts above me. I hope to later, and I hope my thoughts are not conflicting and fit in somehow. . I never have time to follow you all throughout the week, though I am happy to get to read you later. To CT, yes I was reading and I am looking forward to the transcript.

Ok, now I will try to read above. you guys always amaze me.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p098.ezboard.com/bthechaselounge ... ofAlice</A> at: 5/6/06 4:25 am

Did this episode seem heavy handed? Somehow I feel like in this instance that Chase set us up to drop us where he wanted. There was nothing subtle about this episode. It was hard hit – Tony lusting, guys commenting (as she walked on the street) -- Carmela buttoning, JM unbuttoning – obvious points – what is the point? Such a backhand actually – I feel slapped. Yes I saw it. What is wanted in response? I hope for more complex to the circumstance. As I cannot accept the simplicity of making love to Carmela at the beginning to justify not cheating on her at the end. I want why. And, yes to whomever posted about his breathing or emotion at the signing of each page. Each page.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really like your post, EoA. It's time for Carmela
to face the music (for instance, Moby's song, "When It's Cold I'd Like To Die")
about Tony's intractable resistance
to therapy, and his so very Freudian, Oedipus Complex.

Tony won't call the building inspector to further Carmela's
real estate business interests anymore than he'll complain
to the Puerto Ricans, whose music is blasting
Mrs. Conti's nerves. But he didn't hesitate for one second
to contact the local Assemblyman to get A.J. out of jail
for the failed attempt his son made on killing Uncle Junior.

Tony stereotypically is still stuck in his own arrested
development, not yet being capable of making the
crucial distinction between "virgin and whore"
in his Neolithic approaches to women.

This is Tony's failure as a man in this day and age.
Melfi, Carmela, and even Meadow, see through his
outdated unawareness of women's actual power. But
nothing short of dismissing him completely from their
lives, makes them all hesitate to give up the financial
perks of being involved with him.

It's really up to the women in "The Sopranos" to break
on through to the truth about how men, across the
board, operate in this dysfunctional, nihilating world.

We don't know if Chase, himself, is perhaps a closet
feminist. A few seasons ago, Tony's interactions with
the Neopolitan goddess-Boss gave us some hint that
he knows exactly what's needed to stop the underground
insanity, as these brutes continue whacking each other
to extinction and only the women are left to run the
"Family."

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.08: Johnny Cakes”