Why was Tony so angry after he stopped the Juliana sex?

A couple of comments started this in General Discussion, which I will copy here presently, but I thought it important enough for its own thread.

I thought Tony looked strange throughout the entire lead-in to the aborted sex with Juliana. In fact, just as AJ had either started to experience a panic attack or coke-induced heart palpatations, I thought Tony was on the verge of a panic attack when he was signing the papers. With each signature, he looked and sounded more agitated, fidgety, even short of breath. I thought at one point he might actually stop signing.

But I can't figure out if it was discomfort with the property sale, discomfort with the impending sex, or both, or whether he was just panting out of some kind of sexual anticipation. Maybe it will be clearer on second viewing . . which is about 5 minutes away.

My aunt, whom I discussed the episode with right after it aired, nailed the moment of Tony's true turnaround, when he saw Juliana unbuttoning his shirt and remembered Carmela with her hands just a few hours earlier on those same buttons.

But the question remains as to why Tony was so pissed after HE stopped the sex. Was he pissed at himself for having a conscience now about something he used to take for granted? At Carmela for being the obstacle to him indulging his every sexual whim? At society for institutionalizing the concept of monogamy (in marriage) and constructing, at least ostensibly, a moral code around it? Does he feel somehow less masculine because he didn't do what "macho" guys like him are supposed to do in such circumstances?

</p>

Re: Why was Tony so angry after he stopped the Juliana sex?

<span style="color:blue;font-size:medium;">Moved from the General Comments thread:</span>

bcorsale

Civilian
Posted: 4/30/06 8:52 pm
Re: Episode Review and General Comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When Tony arrives at home after "coitus interruptus" I thought the whole smoked turkey thing was very lame. Can someone give me an analytical insight as to what that was all about.

And, why smoked turkey? It could have/should have been proscuitto or mortadella.
--
BobbyBuz
"Everything happens for a reason"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detective Hunt

Capo
Posted: 4/30/06 9:06 pm

Tony's response as he came home had much to do with a certain irritation within himself that he could not go through with the encounter. We call it bitterness, but why Tony is bitter we cannot say at present since we do not have enough to go on. He wanted her, but could not go through with that. Guilt, shame, perhaps even a sense of responsibility that he does not want informed his return, I would think.

Wissyagain

Associate
Posted: 4/30/06 9:06 pm

I think Tony was wanting smoked turkey because he didnt get his turkey smoked. No seriously...........I think Tony was doing that in the same light on how he beat up that Muscles Marinara a few weeks ago. I think it makes him feel in control. He may have felt like less of a man since he turned down Julianna and had to go home and essentially throw his weight around to Carm to prove he is a man.

Also didnt think this was the best episode ever either. I thought the whole think with Vito was too "Brokeback Sopranos". They should change the name of the episode from Johnny Cakes to Brokeback Sopranos or Brokeback Vito.

Edited by: Wissyagain at: 4/30/06 9:09 pm

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p098.ezboard.com/bthechaselounge ... fisWall</A> at: 5/1/06 12:10 am

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>But the question remains as to why Tony was so pissed after HE stopped the sex. Was he pissed at himself for having a conscience now about something he used to take for granted? At Carmela for being the obstacle to him indulging his every sexual whim? At society for institutionalizing the concept of monogamy (in marriage) and constructing, at least ostensibly, a moral code around it? Does he feel somehow less masculine because he didn't do what "macho" guys like him are supposed to do in such circumstances? <hr></blockquote>

FOMW, I am always at a loss for words on this forum because you cover so much! Can I answer all of the above?

</p>

Bottomline, Tony is conflicted. This season is about Tony figuring out who he is - or rather what he wishes he had been and how well he has been able to proivde for future Soprano's to achieve his ideal (even if Tony can't).

For instance, Tony wants his son to be a good person; in fact, he is proud of his son in an odd way for being someone who isn't involved in the mob.

The entire story of this season is Tony trying to do the right thing. The scene tonight with Juliana underscores this. That was a battle between Tony the animal and Tony as he hoped he would be. The shirt similarity between Carmela and Juliana underscores this. Tony is coming into himself, trying to deal with these things and him having to make the right choice.

Ironically, his son is dealing with similar issues at the same time.

Why was Tony so angry? Because Tony doesn't like the "good" Tony but is learning to accept it.

Larger question: Is this going to be Tony's undoing?

The other subtext of this episode was the irony between the role of the mafia in mediating [albeit unnecessarily] the small business community and the ability of large [although impersonal] corporations to operate efficiently ...

Tie into the credit card business w. Murmurs and Tony is going to be facing serious legal and economic issues.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p098.ezboard.com/bthechaselounge ... speropk</A> at: 4/30/06 11:20 pm

First off, I thank you FOMW for your thoughts and insightful comments. Being and "old school" Sopranos fan, loving both the mob and family/deep aspects, I love this season. If you see the build up of all of Tony's lady's over the years but especially Gloria (she even said "poor you" during their fight), they represented Livia to a certain extent if not to a full extent. Does Tony seeing the connection between Carm buttoning his shirt and Juliana unbuttoning it, the break with Livia? Is his pissed at his reaction to leaving what he would never leave before? Am I nuts to see this or ???? I also agree with what you said too as an add on to his "anger" he may be mad at himself but in a "new Tony" way...

Hmmm.

</p>

My aunt, whom I discussed the episode with right after it aired, nailed the moment of Tony's true turnaround, when he saw Juliana unbuttoning his shirt and remembered Carmela with her hands just a few hours earlier on those same buttons.

Your aunt and my husband. As soon as she touched his buttons, my husbands goes, "it's over." I barely had time to comprehend the scene while my husband is saying during it -- that's exactly what Carmela just did: Wife in mind, nothing will happen now. I didn't even get the chance to evaluate Tony, because of what my husband was saying during that scene. I would have missed it on my own.

</p>

Wissy said...
<blockquote>Quote:<hr>He may have felt like less of a man since he turned down Julianna and had to go home and essentially throw his weight around to Carm to prove he is a man. <hr></blockquote>

Nah, that's just Tony's self-rightousness coming out. He was probably thinking, "look what I just did for you--I gave up a great piece of ass, and you can't even keep smoked turkey in the house?"

How "whitebread" normal is smoked turkey??? Doesn't sound very mob boss-like, does it. The times they are a-changing...

</p>

Great thread. Hi FOMW, Hi all.

I think the episode in general dealt with acceptance....AJ has to accept that he's not a killer, Vito has to accept he's gay (OT...great line about you lie so much it's like the truth), Tony has to accept (or not) that he's gonna be true to this woman who's the best friend he has.

But I am worried, even though Tony stopped. (Though I applaud him for that, because in that willing-partner, ripped panties scenario, that had to be enormously difficult...)

I am worried that when the Madonna complex surrounding Carm stops---"She's a saint, she nursed me to health, stood by me"....and she does something to piss him off or gives him an excuse, he's going to stray again.

Remember that line in Melfi's office, how could I stray after all she's done for me? Well, he would have boinked her in a heartbeat after the first meeting in Satriale's, with all that life's too short verbal foreplay--it's just that she said no.

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.08: Johnny Cakes”