Re: Episode Review and General Comments

<span style="color:blue;font-size:medium;">Moved From Another Thread</span>

SofiaGiovanna

Civilian
Posted: 4/18/06 6:45 am
Hugh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What a jerk in "Live Free or Die"...picking through the supplies like Tony's guys have done to him on jobsites. Come to think of it, not once did I see either Hugo or Carm's mom at the hospital...

Edited to add....Billy or Fly....I actually meant this to go in General Comments about the ep....feel free to move. Sorry...no coffee yet today. OY.

SofiaG.

Edited by: SofiaGiovanna at: 4/18/06 6:46 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JoeBananas

Civilian
Posted: 4/18/06 6:55 am
Re: Hugh

Carm's mom and dad were there when or shortly after Tony came out of the coma. But otherwise, they were nowhere to be seen.

I'm really wondering what is going on with him. He was always a stand-up guy in the past. Something has definitely changed.

jeff41954

Civilian
Posted: 4/18/06 6:57 am

Carm's mother was at Tony's bedside after he came out of the coma. She said something like "Anthony, you had us so worried.." But I agree that her parents were surprisingly absent. Hugh is still put out with Carm for the butt chewing she gave him over when she had failed to get Tony to influence the inspectors. She talks to him with the same tone she uses with AJ and that doesn't sit well with a Dad, I can tell you.

I think this breakdown in their (Hugh and Carm's) relationship is part of a bigger look into Carmela's psyche. The other Family wives have sucked up to her for so long she has started believing that she is smarter and more respected than she actually is. Where would she be without Tony? Selling lawn furniture by the side of the road?

capobrendan

Civilian
Posted: 4/18/06 7:29 am

I don't know about selling lawn furniture at the side of the road. Carm is an extremely bright, smart woman. Let's not forget that she did get into college--she chose not to go; she would have rather been Mrs. Soprano. I think that without Ton', she would have fared pretty good.

Having said that...what the fuck is up with Hugh? Why would he steal from his daughter (and son-in-law)?? He probably thinks it's the old days of construction, when you can do what you want, and nobody would question the contractor. I don't think he realizes his daughter is stronger than he imagines...

Edited by: capobrendan at: 4/18/06 7:30 am

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p098.ezboard.com/bthechaselounge ... fisWall</A> at: 4/18/06 12:07 pm

Re: Livia & Vit. E for Scars

Remember in "Mayham" when Tony was about to enter the
house where the Finnerty Family Reunion was in full swing
during his coma state?

I swear there was a ghost-like visage of Livia in the front doorway who turned away when Tony considered entering, while the voice of Meadow as a little girl was pleading with Tony not to leave them and join the House of the Dead.

Monadax

</p>

Re: Carm's Dad

About Carmela's father, I noticed he wasn't very helpful when she was crying about Wegler's defection. She was bawling and obviously very depressed about always being pegged with having ulterior motives and he just left without saying anything. Not much of a comfort! He has always been portrayed as being a weak character (being bossed by Carm's mom, being stationed in Nova Scotia LOL) but now we're seeing he's not particularly kind or honest. It's clear that Carm's fam is dysfunctional; we've seen examples of their arguments in the past, particularly with her mother. I think we're starting to see the family life that led her to Tony Soprano. Did you notice the birds taking off from the top of the house as she drove off after the argument with her dad? Clearly a sign of a schism in her own family.

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>Livia's presence and lingering is what is opened up, and I wonder if this will continue. If Chase is finishing a circle, then Tony started as Livia's son, and Livia had a huge impact in season 1. If he created this with an ending in mind, then Tony must deal with her (even in his mind) before we can have an end.<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I posted almost this exact thing in another thread. This holds for Junior as well, who Tony will be forced to deal with before the end, either in this season or the final 8.

Chase designed the show as one about a mobster and his mother; Livia has shown up as a ghostly figure twice now, and in a way that relationship still seems like the psychological centerpiece of the show, with Tony's connection to Junior as surrogate father basically a corollary. And Chase seems to place a lot of stock in Freud, in which case we have not only the deeply imbedded desire to please the mother, but also Thanatos, the death wish, the irrestistible impulse to die or otherwise escape from the life Tony has made for himself and the trap he's heading toward. The association of Livia with death in both the Calling All Cars and the Finnerty Family Reunion suggest that those subconscious desires are now one and the same.

At any rate, I think you can expect Tony to confront both Livia and Junior before the end -- in dreams, therapy or in some seemingly unrelated action.

</p>

Re: Meadows attitude

MOVED FROM ANOTHER THREAD

Posted by porkstorekiller
Posted: 4/18/06 1:07 pm
Re: Meadow's Attitude

Meadow "Im not an attorney...yet."

Just wondering what you guys think of Meadows consistantly "bitchy" attitude.

Also, the woman who Meadow was pulling files for refered to her as "Tony Sopranos kid" Do you think that would hurt or help her credibility as an attorney?

- - - - - - - -

Posted by Katie Hope
Posted: 4/18/06 1:32 pm

i never saw meadow as a lawyer....

- - - - - - - -

Posted by CruiseJD
Posted: 4/18/06 1:32 pm

It could help the firm she works for rack up some huge billable hours if they can get Tony and/or his associates as clients.

- - - - - - - -

Posted by haironmelfistwat
Posted: 4/18/06 2:10 pm

Poor Meadow, she's had PMS for 7 years. Actually, I always hoped somebody would put Meadow and AJ in a canvas bag and drop it in the Hudson River...

It's funny, I grew up with Italians (and Irish of course), and my ex-wife is real Italian. I have NEVER seen Italian kids behave like Meadow and AJ and not wind up with a broken jaw and their butts in a sling. But, this is a TV show...

Yep, she's gonna be a lawyer... She is enamored with lawyers and she hate's doctors (remember the hospital)...

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>I think DeNovo is referring to the 'final 8' episodes - Season 6 is almost in a Season 6a and 6b format with the first 12 episodes airing now and then an additional 8 episodes airing in Jan 07<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, that's right.

I'm still curious about how the narrative is going to work, though, and how HBO will market it. These 12 could end on a cliffhanger, for example, or they could see closure with the last 8 more or less standing on their own. Regardless I expect HBO to market the last 8 as "the final season," considering they didn't use that ploy this time around.

</p>

Re: Meadows attitude

Meadow and Finn seem like they are supposed to be caricatures of stereotypically obtuse and hypocritical PC types.

They go on and on about other people's morality, but then they both blab about Vito's being gay. What did they think would happen to the guy when everyone found out? Meadow's blabbing could lead to the guy being murdered for being gay, how does that square with her politics? I'm sure she won't blame herself in any way if Vito gets killed, but that isn't the point, the point is that she could have opted to keep quiet about it, instead of outing him to her parents and their friends. Shouldn't she respect Vito's right to keep his private life private? Nah, it's more fun to gossip.

The show does bash right-wing politics, but it doesn't let the left off scot-free either. A lot of the things blurted out by Meadow and Finn are tweaks of sterotypically liberal PC hypocrisy IMO. It's a good balance to the dumb things said by pretty much everyone else.

-----
"Congratulations to everyone connected to the Boston Red Sox. A great day in Boston. A great day in baseball. A great day in sports and a great day in American history."

10/27/04
</p>

Return to “Episode 6.06: Live Free or Die”