Vito/Tony Parallels

I thought there was an interesting parallel set up between Tony and Vito this episode.

Through his "outing" and being forced on the run, Vito is essentially being thrust away from the mob life (carried by a great wind of sorts?). He seems to at least have the opportunity to set up a separate life in an idyllic haven where he can be accepted, and where he can cultivate his "good side."

The scene of him wandering the town where strangers say hello and the peaceful stream contrasted with Tony increasingly being unable to enjoy each day like it was a gift and everyone drags him into their dramas and score-settling.

(I liked how Tony noted in his session with Melfi that even cell phones are a sources or irritiation, harkening back to his brief conversation with the roadside worker who founed Vito's phone.)

</p>

Re: Vito/Tony Parallels

I agree. I think Vito's scenes this week paralleled Tony's coma dream. Vito has lost his way, is in a hotel, sees how the average joe lives...And the slow way of life is a huge contrast to the fast-paced criminal lifestyle he has been living. I really felt for him (despite the fact that I've never liked his character) when he was watching the gay couple in the diner wistfully.

It seems like this is just a theme this season...the mafia life versus the life they could have lived.

</p>

Good analysis. It seems that the "live free or die" is meant for both Tony and Vito. I think that Vito's character may have seen his last screentime and that he's just going to settle down and live an openly homosexual life. While he did attempt to find out his cousin's address, the point of that scene may have been to establish that he doesn't know anyone in that area. Unless some freak occurence happens, it seems that they wouldn't bring him back. He has nothing to gain and everything to lose by going back to Jersey on his own.

With Tony, he's beginning to understand the toll that the mafia life is taking on his life and that the costs might not be worth it. But it seems very doubtful that he would willingly break free of the lifestyle. I think Vito is going to understand the "live free" part, and Tony is going to endure the "or die" part of the slogan.

</p>

I posted this in the other thread, an I think somebody said something to this effect already, but I just wanted to add how unexpectedly touching the scenes with Vito in NH were. He just seemed totally lost and alone, the living antithesis to Tony's newfound bliss; I guess it's lucky he managed to run into about five gay guys in the span of one day. But it's truly a testament to this show's greatness that they can make you feel genuine sympathy for a character as generally revolting as Vito, like all the Aprile captains before him.

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>...for a character as generally revolting as Vito, like all the Aprile captains before him.<hr></blockquote>

How come nobody likes Vito??? I've seen so much hostility towards him at these forums, and I always liked him... He's another Baccala type character (a lot of which was explicitly reinforced today)...
He's always come off much better then any of the other guys. Lemme think of examples... During the Tony/Adriana/Chris thing, when Chris wanted to know the joke they were laughing about, Vito's 'why you busting my balls?' (he's a captain - anybody else would've told Chris to go fuck himself, even before the parade float comment); same episode, at the end, Vito came over to the dinner table, and initiated friendship with Chris (again, not only does he outrank Chris, Chris was wrong - both things imply Chris should've been the humbled one); His relationship with his wife; Can't think of other major ones right now... but several little subtle things which just show him being a 'nicer' guy.
Hell, even Tony likes him. A lot of people thought Tony would kill him for eyeing his seat while he was in the hospital, but I think Tony's comments in this episode kinda suggest that not only does he know of Vito's ambition (i.e. that he's heard of all Vito's comments when he was in the coma) - he welcomes it. Again and again he brings up Vito's ambition, drive, focus as pluses.
Vito may be ambitous, but there's nothing to suggest he's trechorous.

Someone even said on the forum something like 'I was feeling sorry for him, so I had to remind myself this is the guy that killed Jackie Jr.' Vito had nothing to do with that!! He was just the point man.. following orders.... and Jackie Jr. had it coming a million ways.....

Someone explain....

</p>

I mean admittedly I had no problems with him until "Unidentified Black Males," which was the first episode to really focus on him in any meaningful way. But I found his behavior toward Finn frightening; it really seemed like he could have killed him if Finn had gone to that Yankees game.

From then on, he's just come across as a slimy, shifty-eyed brown-nosing creep, completely independent of the fact that he's gay. Basically he turned into your typical Aprile captain -- just a powder keg waiting to blow, no pun intended.

Again, though, this episode really humanized him, and made his predicament seem terribly sad and lonely.

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.06: Live Free or Die”