Meadow and Finn

For those of you have seen this past week's episode, you may or may not have noticed the several looks that take place between Meadow and Finn. I honestly don't know what to make of this. Some looks seem as if they're not ready for marriage and other times they're having a great time on the dance floor. Maybe you guys can help me out.

</p>

Re: Meadow and Finn

I would think that if Vito dies, Finn breaks the engagement in a heartbeat, that is, if Meadow doesn't break it off first. Frankly, Finn proposed only to save himself from Vito by putting himself in Tony's family. From the reactions Meadow's been giving both to Finn and her parents, she doesn't seem too eager to go forward with the marriage.

I'm not sure how it plays out. Maybe Vito dies, Finn leaves, and Meadow goes into a tailspin, breaking Tony's heart. Maybe Meadow breaks it off, Vito feels free to kill Finn, and Meadow goes on a major guilt trip, breaking Tony's heart. Maybe they break up, Meadow goes to the west coast, and joins Janice's old commune, breaking Tony's heart. Or maybe nothing comes of it. lol

</p>

I noted Meadow's reactions to Tony's and Vito's marital nagging, as well. Sociologically and ironically she has "upwardly mobilized" herself away from the cultural values of her family. She values education, career, and "relationship" over marriage as the ultimate goal for herself. I feel that she just does not see the point in defending her position which may only alienate, confuse, and possibly shame her parents. My sense that the unspoken communication between Meadow and Finn at the wedding was something along the lines of: "This is a hideously gauche and archaic freakshow, but let's be polite, and just get through it..." Essentially, I am sensing that although her values are now different than those of her parents, she seems to have matured and does not feel the adolescent need to constantly assert her identity. She's pickin' her battles, it would seem.

Thanks for initiating this thread.

</p>

Couple of points that I'd like to make in this regard.

Firstly, RDeol, I think a telling moment re Meadow's feelings is the look she gives Tony in the kitchen when he tells her how important it suddenly is to hold his grandchildren - prior to that (within the same scene) Meadow almost looks as if she is a little coy about talking about a wedding etc, but there is one screenshot where IMO she looks quite horrified by the thought of having children (even if only in the immediate future). I think it is quite telling and my opinion is that she is not really ready to commit, long term, to Finn. Maybe my judgement is clouded by a previous premature, failed engagement of my own, but that is my perception.

Secondly, EndofAlice, I'm sorry I can't be specific as to which episode it is (I'm sure someone else can help with this), I would just like to add my thoughts - I fully agree that Finn proposed to protect himself from Vito (the proposal follows soon after him discovering Vito's secret) - I also believe he would ditch Meadow if Vito were removed from the equation.

I give some credence to the possibility that the looks between Meadow and Finn reflect their inherent reluctance to marrying each other (esp in the context of Allegra's wedding) - I don't doubt that they care about each other and there is a mutual respect there but I think the wedding served as something of a reminder to each of them (privately) that they are not quite 'there' yet.

I also feel that Meadow, eventually, will choose a partner far more similar to her own father for herself. Not necessarily a made/connected guy, but someone more forthright, determined, and strong-willed than Finn. Who in my view (as a guy) is none of those things (witness his uncertainty re career moves after graduating in S5).

JTF

</p>

I agree with the problems and what not going on between Meadow and Finn, but I don't think Finn proposed to save himself from being killed - he would have to be pretty smart for that. For a normal person to even think about being targeted by a mobster is hard, let alone see as far ahead in his mind to the fact if he marries the daughter of the don, he can't be killed. To make that connection so fast...that really seems like a stetch to me...
I don't know why he proposed - or why Meadow accepted. Probably just to save the relationship, though they both know they're not ready to get married. Just a thought..

</p>

T the wedding I got a strong sense of sorrow from both Tony and Johnny Sac. It almost felt like they both know they won't be at their daughters' weddings. Johnny S's second daughter and Tony at Meadow's. I don't know if that's about Meadow breaking up with Finn, dying or Tony flipping, dying, going to jail, whatever. When they were talking about the $$ for the wedding, Johnny S saying that's why they (Tony and Johnny) do what they do...to give these things to their children.

It just felt like what Tony articulated was important (grandchildren, etc) to him will be taken away.

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>Sociologically and ironically she has "upwardly mobilized" herself away from the cultural values of her family. . . . My sense that the unspoken communication between Meadow and Finn at the wedding was something along the lines of: "This is a hideously gauche and archaic freakshow, but let's be polite, and just get through it..." . . . she seems to have matured and does not feel the adolescent need to constantly assert her identity. <hr></blockquote>
Spot on, Observer. I might add an inference from her comment to Finn denouncing the G-men for humiliating her father and Mr Sacrimoni. Adolescent rebellion is usually aimed at authority figures, mom and dad in particular, but Meadow has graduated from them to public targets, like the FBI and officials responsible for harrassing Muslim-Americans. This way she can be loyal to family and be rebellious at the same time. Sadly, it seems to me, she is not yet mature enough to measure those against the grievous bodily harm that's an everyday part of daddy's business.

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.05: Mr. and Mrs. John Sacrimoni Request”