Re: Episode Review (post all general comments here)

I was floored when Carm told Ton' about Vito. Even Carmela sees that Vito is a shady fuck. I think somehow, word will get back to Tony that Vito wants his chair. Vito has flapped his gums way too much in regards to that issue. Last episode, he was talking to Larry Boy about it...

I don't know about anybody else, but I found the last scene touching. When Paulie beat the shit out of Jason Barone for $4k a month, for his Ma's retirement home. As violent as it was, it shows that Paulie really does care.

</p>

Several things...

1. Bobby's foray into the rap world seemed...goofy. But it definitely isn't just comic relief. Remember how Hesch got all that money out of those R&B singers years ago? This might be the entry into the lucrative and shady music business. Maybe not. But we'll see. There will definitely be repercussions. I am glad to see Bobby step up to the plate and assert himself in some way. He usually seems so unassuming that it's hard to believe he's a capo. So I look forward to a test of his character.

2. The wallet from the dream/coma = the wallet biopsy in real life. That was a genius comment, Pork Store. I didn't even notice that. To take it a little farther, you notice how fervently Tony does not want to go back to "that place," where he had no identity ("I lost my wallet and my briefcase") and was being pulled into the next phase of being. So he took that anger out on the unfortunate guy who rifled through his wallet in real life. I think Tony was so unnerved by being stripped of who he was, that he is very grateful to be in the here and now, but also prone to anger and vindictiveness as a result. That attitude is being tempered by his newfound spirituality.

3. Sure, Tony is starting to realize the world is larger than himself. But I don't think anyone needs to worry about the "nice mob boss" thing. Tony is inherently selfish. It's possible for him to turn over a new leaf, but pretty improbable. You notice he started flirting w/the insurance agent before he found out she was b***h. And he still yells at everybody. Some things may have changed, but it will take a lot of work to escape the personality he's had his whole life. And above all, Tony is a survivalist. He will do what needs to be done to stay on top. If not for himself, then for his family. It can't have escaped his notice that Carmela & co. were almost plunged into poverty.

</p>

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------
"I will even go as far as to make a prediction that the Tony we saw in the season preview wearing a white robe in the backyard, looking peaceful and complacent, could be the dead Tony who is now a part of the "great wind"."

That scene actually was in last nights episode, just thought I would point that out

</p>

I agree with some of the thoughts expressed here. If a changed, thoughtful, stop-and-smell-the-roses, every-day's-a-good-day Tony is going to result in a weakened. tired f**k- up-the-busines-Tony, then the Soprano family will have had it. Why is Jognny Sac, who would 'never stick his beak in', suddenly in Jersey physically hijacking a Barone Sanitation route on the ground? Because the naive son wants to sell? He didn't sell yet It's still Soprano territory & there's a way to do things. This is a way to start a war. Vito, who was chewing those carrots like the nervous self-cornered rat that he is,. this treacherous bastard doesn't know when he should act in his own interest & back the f**k off. He still wants to make a move. I'm sure he's gonna star in his own move soon. But it won't be the one he wanted. Baccala looked like he was headed toward Stupidland, but when he handed Tony the envelope, after Tony's statement about every man being judged on jis own merit, we could see there was a method to the madness. I like Baccala and want him to move up. He has a big heart & he's truly loyal to Tony. It's time to stop portraying him as a chooch, (the train hat, taking the sandwich from Tony's tray), & let him be the serious addition that Tony's inner sanctum needs right now. Syl wasn't up to being acting boss, even for a short time. Paulie's gone more psycopathic, albeit with some traumatically valid reason. But threatening the Barone kid to kick up to him & not tell Tony? A reckless & potentially deadly move. I don't want to see Paulie get sidetracked into trouble because of his over the top nature. By the way, I find the aunt/mother plotline a little gratuitous, arbitrary & sudden. Just like Phil & Vito are suddenly cousins? I mean, if they are, it should have been portrayed that way all along. Carm with the blinders off, openly warning Tony about Vito is absolutely delicious. Chris seems more involved with his own (sort of hairbrained)
scheme, instaed of focusing on what's most important. Tony. The business. The Family. This thing. I believe he was being groomed to be the boss someday. For someone in that coveted position, he either doesn't give a shit, is too stupid or selfish, or is still a borderline f**kup. From everything I've seen, he seems unable to grasp, let alone be ready for, the destiny that will await him. Christopher does not have what it takes. He will never be the boss. I guess my point is, can we ever have everyone in the Soprano family/crew running on all carburetors at the same time on the same page, so we see them at their business best, getting powerful victorious results? Even for one lousy episode?? Yes, I'm a little baby & I want Tony to win!! And yes, I know the show is about life & death, good & evil, living with the choices we make, human nature, the human condition, hypocrisy, honesty, leadership, integrity, loyalty, love, hate, values, motivations, etc., etc., etc. Must watch it again. And again.........and again..........and again.............

</p>

Quote:
"I will even go as far as to make a prediction that the Tony we saw in the season preview wearing a white robe in the backyard, looking peaceful and complacent, could be the dead Tony who is now a part of the "great wind"."

That scene actually was in last nights episode, just thought I would point that out

The white robe? Are you sure? I remember him wearing his pj's walking out, and made a mental note. I only saw it once, so if anyone can vouch.

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>Could Russ Fagoli from "Marco Polo" be Paulies father? He probably is old enough maybe.....also he was a military guy. Now that would be some shit.<hr></blockquote>
I checked the Marco Polo episode. Russ Fegoli was in the Navy. I believe Paulie's aunt/mother said Russ was a soldier. Fegoli is a longshot at best.

If they expand this storyline we could see something very hilarious, depending who and what his real father might turn out to be.

--
BobbyBuz</p>

If Russ Fegoli were Paulie’s real father that would indeed be a sweet karmic “bitch slap” to Mrs. DeAngelis’and her imperial smugness. But I fear it is not the case.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp In her “deathbed confession” to Paulie about the truth, Dottie states that while a novitiate working at the USO during the war there was this “soldier” Russ, and he was so lonely. Russ Fegoli was not a “soldier”; he was a “sailor” as confirmed by Hugh DeAngelis’ story “When we were kids in the Navy, he had such a bad case of crabs, we used to call him the governor of Maryland.”

</p>

Re: Ep. 5:04

I found this episode interesting on several levels. You got the 'real' mob with Paulie bashing The Barone kid and the Barone g-truck driver getting bashed; the internal haggling.
To me Tony has been going through a crises of his 'self' for the entireity of this season, best shown with Melfi. He is searching for a meaning for his life and his coma dreams, the contacts in the hospital like the rapper, the scientist, the holy rollers are all part of that 'search' which to me is an overwhelming theme of this season. I also think he will become increasly paranoid, not just because people are really after him.
As to Tony mind in this episode, his situation is facinating and his interactions with the people at the hospital was very interesting. Tony isn't well educated, but he isn't dumb at all as shown by his interest in movies, the History Channel. He was willing to listen to different ideas (like the rappers, the scientists and the holy rollers) and making shrewed business decisions. Yes, he was insistant on the Barone 'job' but by comprimising to 10 years, that covers him until he can find an alternative or sock away enought $$$'s to take care of him.
As to Bobby B's butt shot, a friend of mine at work suggested that maybe he shot there as he was shorted by a grand to do it. I kinda like Bobby Bacalla, he is a quiet leader, likes being the family man and a mob 'family' man. He isn't openly showy in his lifestyle or appearance unlike like Paulie or even Chris. He is more 'old school' mobster. I would trust him over Vito or the others any day, and his flaws are minor.
I think the score against Vito is climbing especially with what Carm suggests. I think she saw how one part of the bundle was shorted by Vito, but Paulie put in his share as he knows the mob 'rules' and to keep on the good side of Tony more than as he wanted to keep a large cut. I think Tony will find out about it and start turning against Vito.
The Wedding episode outght to be good. Remember the wedding scenes in the Godfather movies?

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.04: The Fleshy Part of the Thigh”