"She Apologized' warning....RANT

Even more than Janice's perennial narcissism, the part of "Fleshy" that irked me most was that comment from that sawed-off excuse for a son, AJ....Tony notices that Carm and AJ have showed up at the hospital together and AJ says "She apologized to me"....for what? For telling him that he's been a cross for her to bear? What the heck else has he been? From smoking up at his confirmation, to wrecking his school, to androgynously partying....he's a Springer episode waiting to happen. I know that AJ's approval has always been important to her, but I'm angry with Carmela at apologizing to that spoiled little jerk and I wanted to reach through the TV screen and slap that smug blank smile off of his face. Go sort some DVDs. Grr.

</p>

Re: "She Apologized' warning....RANT

He has made many mistakes, but to essentially say that his entire existance has had a negative impact on their family isn't true and was something that was said out of anger. Considering who his father is and their family's attitude toward authority, it is expected that he would be prone to act out. She apologized and he found a job, so they made a compromise and their family is better off for it.

</p>

Re: "She Apologized' warning....RANT

LOL, OE Paulie must have really pissed you off for you to react so strongly. I've hated the character since day one. I even find it difficult to laugh at some of his objectively hilarious statements. This episode just solidified everything I always felt and intuited about him. There's not a shred of enobled or selfless love in his body.

SG, while I'm with you on thinking AJ has grown into a pretty nasty creep, particularly towards his mother, I agree with others that Carmela did owe him an apology. AJ had quite a lot of help in becoming who he is, and a lot of that help came from her since she chose to marry and procreate with a mobster and give her son a male role model whose idea of self-reliance and work ethic is to work harder at violent theft and fraud than all the other antisocials on the block. That alone should soften the blame that she, of all people, ascribes to him for what he's become. And I also agree that, as a mother or parent, the standard of love is "unconditional". She fell way, WAY short of that with her vitriolic outburst. To hear his mother characterize him as nothing but a burden had to be pretty lacerating, and I expect that, despite her apology, those words will resonate with him for some time.

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.04: The Fleshy Part of the Thigh”