Carmela's comment about Vito and Paulie

Ok, so this always bothered me. I believe it was in this episode where Carmela made a comment to Tony about keeping an eye on Vito and Paulie, because she believed there was (supposed to be?) more money in the envelope that they gave to her to help defray Tony's medical costs. "This is what we do, sweetheart" I believe as Paulie said to her.

How would Carm even get any thoughts in her mind that there should have been "more there"? She really has no knowledge of Vito's or Paulies doings, ceratinly no knowledge of the score Paulie made earlier, so why would she even make a statement like that? Just from the look she saw on their faces as they went into the elevator? It was a really odd moment for me......

Re: Carmela's comment about Vito and Paulie

My 1st inclination would be the look on Vito's and Paulies faces as Carmela caught a glimpse of them heading down the elevator after they gave the bag to her. While she can't be sure it's short, she can certainly tell they weren't happy about giving it over. Carmela's way of letting the boys know she garners respect weather they think so or not by having Tony follow up

Daveman wrote: How would Carm even get any thoughts in her mind that there should have been "more there"? She really has no knowledge of Vito's or Paulies doings, ceratinly no knowledge of the score Paulie made earlier, so why would she even make a statement like that? Just from the look she saw on their faces as they went into the elevator? It was a really odd moment for me......
I don't think that Carmella was that naive as to be totally oblivious about how Tony's captains got their gains. In the Holsten's scene she looked quite concerned about the implications of Carlo "rolling over" to the feds. This suggests that she was quite aware that Tony really wasn't into waste management.

It confirms Chase's statement that she was a "housewife-whore". She willfully turned a blind eye to Tony's real business as long as she continued to live the life of luxury she became accustomed to. She obviously believed she deserved more from the underlings.

conkom wrote:I don't think that Carmella was that naive as to be totally oblivious about how Tony's captains got their gains. In the Holsten's scene she looked quite concerned about the implications of Carlo "rolling over" to the feds. This suggests that she was quite aware that Tony really wasn't into waste management.

It confirms Chase's statement that she was a "housewife-whore". She willfully turned a blind eye to Tony's real business as long as she continued to live the life of luxury she became accustomed to. She obviously believed she deserved more from the underlings.

That is certainly understandable, however her quote as to the fact that there should have been "more there" seems odd, as how does she know what was even there in the first place. And secondly, suprised as she was to get the package, how could she even make a statement like that? just because of a look that Vito made?

Again I think she was expecting more based on what Tony usually brought in. She probably also thought after what happened to Tony she was entitled to more as the mobster code rules that the wives and families must be looked after.

And maybe she was canny enough to realise that Paulie and Vito were shortchanging her when Tony was at death's door.

There really isn't always honour among thieves especially murdering ones.

I think it was just the way the two blundered their way through the whole situation that aroused suspicion.

First telling her there was going to be a package, then after conferring deciding to withold it. Vito says to Carm "we can't give you it now as we can't be sure who's watching" or some other clear BS to that effect (they don't think Tony is ever going to wake up at this point)... Then the last minute panic when Tony wakes up, they give her the money, then she catches them grimacing when they think she isn't watching, both clearly not happy about having to part with the cash despite their false sentiments moments before.

Carm is a smart enough cookie to know when something fishy is going on and alrets Tony to this.
________
Xxx tube

Return to “Episode 6.04: The Fleshy Part of the Thigh”