Re: It's Clear that Only Carm, Meadow and AJ Love Tony...

Guys have already mentioned it but I think Sil was sincere with regard to Tony.

He's never craved the power and he wanted Carm to get what she deserved. And I doubt that they would have Sil come to crave power when it was clear that the stress of making decisions was hurting his health.

Silvio was pretty much the only loyal one in the bunch.

Also, it seems dangerous that Vito has talked to a few other guys about the possibility of being boss. First Pontecorvo (dead of course), then Barese. If Vito keeps talking it's only a matter of time before his talk of being boss gets back to Tony.

</p>

Re: Re: It's Clear that Only Carm, Meadow and AJ Love Tony.

Disagree entirely, AJ definitely loves his father, he is just being typical AJ, typical any guy his age.

He respects and looks up to his father, but at the same time wants to be seen as a man in his own right, to earn his own respect.

Take this from a 23 year old guy who 5 years ago felt the same way, having an "alpha male" father.

The incident talking to the reporter was a mistake but there was no malice there, and yelling "f*** off" at the reporters outside was an indication of his true feelings.

To suggest AJ doesnt love his own father is completely patronizing and outright ridiculous - the fact he is ignorant of minor chores is a) he's proud and thinks he's above it and b) he genuinely has bigger concerns (his fathers life)

And an important point: AJ IS Tony, 25 years ago. Remember the clip where Tony lies to his mother (to back up his father) about where Johnny Boy has been while Livia was in hospital - is Tony the mature, assertive man he is today? No, he's a long haired, tongue tied little weasel who sides with his old man, not least because he's scared to speak up.

Sound familiar?

</p>

Re: Re: It's Clear that Only Carm, Meadow and AJ Love Tony.

i feel a bit sorry for AJ, he lives the life that was given to him since the father has some cash...now he is totally out of the family because the father grew up much harder.they should have sent him to europe for a few years or something like that.he actually was best when he came from the military school.
its the father who slacked here, not AJ, now it might be too late.
probably christopher took the time the father should have had for AJ.but where is AJs nice uncle?
who knows, maybe janice would have been a boy and an uncle if tonys father hadnt started the familys mafia life :P.
but who cares? :P

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p098.ezboard.com/bthechaselounge ... rurusch</A> at: 3/31/06 4:23 am

JMHO, but I believe that AJ has historically been averse to minor chores because he's lazy and spoiled, not because he's too proud. And while I see some parallels between AJ and Tony as teens, I don't think that AJ was/is afraid to speak his mind the way Tony was with Johnny.

I don't think that AJ would take a bullet for Tony (intentionally, that is). I think Carm would. I think Meadow would.

</p>

aj grew up a bit isolated in a villa, he was a master at the playstation, without a neighbourhood he couldnt develop much on his own.he was trying to fulfill the fathers likes, remember the football game when the father was proud of him and how he spoke about the cars with the father in coma.but 99% of the time nobody has time for him and expects him to be a top star in something while he is isolated, and some cash he doesnt have yet either, bet thats why we dont see the girlfriend much anymore.he is lurking around at home still hoping for a job or help through the father, which probably wont happen.we will see where that ends, he should have made up his mind much earlier, now he is sitting on an explosive barrell a bit.

</p>

Aj reminds me of a lot of rich American kids I know. He's too good to do chores because he believes he's in too high a station to do common things. He wonders why his parents don't just hire someone for the job since lackeys do the dirty work in his life. If he's lucky he will begin to awaken when his first apartment deteriorates into a whirwind of undone dishes, laundry, dirt, and bills due. That's when most "see the light". If his parents spoil him with housekeepers and unlimited "pocket money" he will grow beyond redemption.

He is also emotionally shut off from nearly all others because he walks around in a state of low-grade anger and doesn't even realize it. He is angry because he has no goals, no dreams, no ambitions, no plans, and despite all the money, no future. He's going to drift aimlessly into the family business for lack of any other recognized path.

In a way this isn't the curse of the mob, but the curse of the rich. It's too easy to walk away from projects and goals so nothing worthwhile is ever accomplished.

</p>

Mizmoon

Totally agree. I am thinking of the dilution of the work ethic in Tony's family throughout the generations. I am remembering the scene when Tony takes AJ on a drive by that crackhouse that he, Zellman et al are going to get the HUD money to rehab....Tony is showing AJ the cathedral that T's ancestors built with their own hands so they could have a place to worship. We see the dilution....Tony replaces doing things with his family with buying things (Whitecaps, jewelry, new vehicles) for his wife and kids....AJ is the natural next step down....do the minimum.

</p>

Mizmoon:

I think you are being WAY too harsh on AJ. Having been in college just two years ago, I will say with authority that most people do not have their lives together, live in pigstys (sp?) and generally do the least amount of work possible. And that was a good school, too.

I agree about generational differences. But in Tony's time, like my parents, college wasn't necessarily an automatic future. In today's world, maturity is pushed back in time, in other words kids don't have to become anywhere close to self-reliant until after they are 22 and out of college.

I don't think AJ is inherently lazy, although I have yet to see him apply himself to anything. I see that more as a lack of direction than an inherent character flaw. I think he just needs to mature. Remember how Chris was during the first season, when he was probably supposed to be about 26? He was undependable, made excuses for little things like just making phone calls to people, etc.

I think AJ has potential to be more than he appears now, and just needs the time that everyone else in his generation is afforded. Emancipation for most comes now at 22, not 18.

Lastly, I agree with the point someone made about Tony covering for his father when Livia was in the hospital. Tony had to grow up quick once he got booted from junior college, I look forward to seeing AJ do the same.

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.03: Mayham”