Phil Leotardo: A stand-up guy?

Explanations sought, please. We see the scene with Phil, Vito and wives over dinner. Vito is lamenting the provision of Carmela ("the boss's wife") her share of the spoils ... a la LCN tradition. Vito seemed to be waiting for some sort of permission from Phil to screw Carmela out of her share, but Phil demurred. Rather, Phil appeared to respect the old-school tradition, or had another strategy in mind. Which one was it?

Maybe this was a glimpse into the difference in mob generaions: old school tradtionalists vs. unconventional opportunists, with resultant "Mayham".

</p>

Re: Phil Leotardo: A stand-up guy?

i think T. and Phil can be pretty close or rather of the same opinion.maybe vito bites it soon and phil and tone somewhat respect each other.
so that being said id guess its rather your first choice, that he is old-school and he and tony could get along pretty well in the future, they were talking good outside the bing and probably better than tony and johnny sac all the time.

</p>

you could even argue that because Tony and Johnny were so close of 'friends' that that could have hurt business between them. Tony trying to go up to Johnny about the Tony B situation saying something like "...as a friend, John".

Now Phil and Tony's relationship can purely be business.

But i agree that is hard to tell with Phil, whether it is strategy or is he just 'old-school'. I tend to think that it is both.

If Phil is really old-school, then he would know better then weighing in on Vito and Bobby's Roseville situation. Vito seems to be too close to NY, I can't see how Tony can like that unless he is using Vito to keep the peace between NY and NJ.

Also, if Phil is related to Vito, Vito is related to the Aprile's, that can't be a good ending for either of these guys...

</p>

I think Phil is one the most respected characters on the Sopranos he was a captain before he went to jail he came out retained his rank as captain and got promoted to acting boss so that shows how respected he is, and I thought he was right to critize Sil ruling because it was a half ass ruling Johnny, Tony, or Carmine Sr. would've never made that kind of ruling in that situation.

</p>

All due respect, if Phil is such a stand-up guy, why is Ginny Sac ducking creditors by not answering the phone? He's no different from Vito and Paulie trying to cheat Carmella out of Tony's cut. I think jayneezy has it right: Phil's anger at Jersey eventually will explode. Can't see much good coming out of that.

BTW, we've seen Vito be greedy, overly-ambitious, obnoxious, potentially traitorous, and gay. This guy's being presented as a bigger slimeball than Ralphie C. I can't see him making it out of the season, and his "departure" could serve as a plot catalyst for enmity between NY and NJ.

</p>

I think all them are opportunists, but it's easier to be diplomatic and advise an "old school" approach when they have nothing to gain personally. But if and when there is an advantage for them, the rules fly out the window.

Johhny Sac is also old school but asked Tony to help him eliminate a boss. Tony decided against it not because of a strict moral code but because of a strategic decision after weighing the options (and also because it might set a precedent for him).

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.03: Mayham”