Re: Why does Tony not recognise Tony B.?

dsweeney wrote:Interesting that you use the words "other worldly". In an interview Chase says that he believed Tony actually "went somewhere else" and that it wasn't just a dream-sequence per se.
Definitely no accident here. The coma dream and the Holsten's scene both have an eerieness to them reminiscent of the Twilight Zone. And like I have said in several posts the original show was referenced several times during the series.

If anything the "twist" at the end of the Sopranos is a homage to that classic show.

conkom wrote:Definitely no accident here. The coma dream and the Holsten's scene both have an eerieness to them reminiscent of the Twilight Zone. And like I have said in several posts the original show was referenced several times during the series.

If anything the "twist" at the end of the Sopranos is a homage to that classic show.
The coma state itself could be said to be a kind of twilight zone. I think Chase was referring to alternate or parallel universes. Melfi mentions this to Tony remember and he thinks she's making fun of him. The biggest brains in Quantam physics today ( not me) seriously talk of parallel universes. They have proved with the use of lasers that the same photon or atom exists in two places at once. We're made of atoms so..... Maybe Tony the salesman is his alternate self and the Finnerty persona represents this.

dsweeney wrote:The coma state itself could be said to be a kind of twilight zone. I think Chase was referring to alternate or parallel universes.
Almost sounds like an episode of Life On Mars! Maybe Christopher Moltisani became Ray Carling when Tony snuffed his lights out.

But Tony was Tony Soprano in his coma dream. His wife on the phone called him Tony and he had younger children. (Unless they were voices in his head). The conference had Tony Soprano on its attendance list. Only problem was he had Kevin Finnerty's ID who according to the barman sat near Tony at the hotel bar.

On the other hand he was being drawn towards the inn and he was sensing a finality, that is by crossing the door of that inn he was about to give up his conscious being as Tony Soprano in the real world.

You're right, of course. He is Tony Soprano in the coma. When it first aired my take on it was that this was what Tony would have wanted his life to be, uncomplicated, safe, his children safe, no watching over his shoulder for the Feds etc. A comfortable, law-abiding life.
But is it just me or is his accent different from the "usual" Tony? And the woman on the end of the phone is most certainly not Carmela. Sometimes it almost sounds like Adriana, she used to call him "Tone". Are they the various important women in his life, other than Carmela?
Just to touch base on the thread again, something occurred to me about the other, earlier dream sequence relating to Tony B. In it Vin Makazian appears as Finn's father but Tony doesn't recognise him. Now of course it is a dream and anything can appear, people can be composites of other people etc. Maybe it's just the proximity of the name Finn and Vin? And in his dream state Tony merges the two? Don't forget he has never actually met Finn's parents so they can be anybody he wants them to be in his dream.

The accent was definitely different, I think it might be James Gandolfini's actual voice.

The coma dream in some ways could also represent his version of Hell or Purgatory, since it turns out he is trapped in Costa Mesa with another's identity. (Do you remember Christopher's description of his version of hell when he came out of his coma?)

Even though Chase denies that Kevin Finnerty has any meaning, it does suggest that Kev (slang for hood) and Infinity was the intent because this is who Tony really was, not the law abiding family man you alluded to.

The wife's voice was another actress who was uncredited. She was meant to be the voice of a "generic New Jersey actress". It wasn't Adriana who many fans speculated. I like to think it might have been Kathrine Narducci, since it kind of fits in with what his life could have been, had he made different decisions.

Your observation about Vin Makazian really needs to be discussed on Test Dream board, suffice to say that that dream reveals a lot about Tony and his family's fate.

I had a quick search through the "Test dream" posts and couldn't see much on the Makazian/ Finn's father point, maybe I missed it. I only mentioned it in it's similarity to Tony not recognising him in much the same way he doesn't recognise Tony B. Suffice to say that in dreams, people aren't necessarily "themselves", more they can appear to represent something to the dreamer in question.

Return to “Episode 6.03: Mayham”