Christopher and the arabs

I see something big going with this.

I understand the concept of the FBI guys hanging around and making small talk here and there. But there was a big connection tonight.

Doesn't it seem too obvious, Agent Harris is now doing terrorism, and he's hanging around the Jersey crew, and Christopher is involved with the two arabs at the Bing. Then Harris mentions the Matush thing (on a side note I thought Adrianna would come up).

If there was terrorists funneling money for Al Queada and it somehow (even unknowing) involved the jersey crew, Harris would be the perfect agent with experience with the mob and his recent assignment in Pakistan.

</p>

Re: Christopher and the arabs

Really, I took it as just a way to highlight that the mob is only out for itself. Tony has shown that he has his issues with terrorism, but when it is all said and done, they will do business with anyone. I mean, is the US or Russian (or any other) organized crime group better than any other? Is there really that much difference?

</p>

I think it went even farther than that....Agent Harris seemd to suggest that no matter what illegal activities the Soprano family was engaged in to line its own pockets, they should be on the same side to stop the criminal activity used to fund terrorism against the country....that is, the FBI can turn a blind eye to O.C. for profit and wants the LCN boys to assist in the war on terror, like the U.S. used Luck Luciano to help in the war on fascist Italy in WWII or to get Castro in the late 1950s and early 1960s. We may see the Sopranos being recruited to do hits for the feds. It certainly was a huge shift in the relationship between the Feds and the mob.

</p>

I think they would draw a line because the terrorists can't be trusted. The terrorists are fanatics, not reasoned businessmen like the Mafia. They might have minor dealings like drugs and stolen goods and the like, but they would treat them just like they treat the gangs in Harlem -- we'll do a little business, but we aren't getting in bed with each other.

</p>

If they would "draw the line" then why are those guys in the bar? Why does Chris stop to talk to them?

Billymac - I agree - there may be more to it, but I don't see them joining forces with the government (though an interesting point, and true). As I said above, I see it as simply a way to show the similarity and perhaps even common criminal ground that both inhabit. On the surface, Tony can rant about how open the ports are (see season 5) but in the end, they still hang around. Ade's relationship with Matush does not show it well, due to her being so green, but there is no doubt that if it makes money for the mafia, they will take it.

I simply saw it equating the mafia with terrorism.

</p>

Detective Hunt: totallly agree. why ARE they in the bar??? that scene surprised me big time - i totally believed chris when he implied to harris that he had no connection with any middle easterners and wouldn't abide any whiff of terrorist activity. - then we get that bing scene. even the music had mideast influence. and, not to stereotype ( but given context of sopranos world....) i have to think that chris & co. haven't vetted these guys for terrorist ties -they are just somehow making them money and that's all the care about (which is repeating your point, i know)

not sure, though, that i agree this was just used to make a larger point. i think it was, but i also have a feeling that a major story line may be developing here ...

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p098.ezboard.com/bthechaselounge ... daMaria</A> at: 3/19/06 11:03 pm

Agreed that there is a storyline developing here. My point was that at this point, they probably have a minor business relationship with them, similar to the relationship Tony had with the black minister in Harlem. They might do a few deals, but they were not hand-in-glove. It was surprising to see them in the Bada Bing, but the only reason Chris banned Matush was because he was dealing in the club.

Will an FBI agent maybe go undercover as a terrorist to nab the family that way?

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.02: Join the Club”