Re: Ade?

I havew a feeling that we will see the family. And Fly is right it is a completely different setup.
The son is younger the daughter sounds different.
I think, this is where Julianna Margulies will come in...

Also, I may be wrong, but when Tony said to his wife on the phone, "I miss you" she said "I mess you."
Which she does: bossing him around. When he hung up with a big heavy silence, it was weird. The real Ton' would have thrown the phone away...

For me Lost in Translation came to my mind from recent, when Bill Murray tries to talk to his wife.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p098.ezboard.com/bthechaselounge ... >wizdog</A> at: 3/20/06 11:25 am

Re: Ade?

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>I'm firmly of the belief that the voice did not belong to any woman we've encountered before. She was a generic "Jersey" woman with a fairly malleable voice. Not Carm, not Gloria, not Charmaine. <hr></blockquote>

I actually thought it was the voice of Livia from the flashbacks to Tony's youth, but the NJ.com article says that you are correct, it was no one.

</p>

Re: Wife's Voice on Phone

I watched the ep again tonight, this time with the subtitles on.

The "wife" that Dream Sequence Tony is talking to is identified via closed captioning as "Carmela", and the daughter as "Meadow".

And I'm more convinced than ever that the wife's voice is that of Annabella Sciorra.

</p>

Names

I think that the names are supposed to be the same. In the dream, he knew he was Anthony Soprano, so it would be obvious (or, at least, not hard to believe) that his kids names would be the same, especially considering that he had both a daughter and a son, and I got the impression that the daughter was older...I don't know why). The voice could not have been that of AS (Gloria). Gloria had a distinct voice, this voice was more "normal". Some have suggested that it could have been Charmaine Bucco's, but once again, her voice is distinctive. This voice was more...everday...

</p>

According to the guy who writes the Soprano's reviews in The Newark Star Ledger: "The voice of Purgatory Tony's wife wasn't played by Annabella Sciorra, or any other actress who's been on the show before; she's just a generic non-Carmela female voice."

--
BobbyBuz</p>

Tony's Voice

Is it just me, or does Tony's voice sound different? Missing from his accent were the typical blue-collar pronunciations. For instance, California Tony says "bar" wereas the NJ Tony would say "bah." California Tony says "going home" and NJ Tony says "goin' home."

This accent changes occurs throughout the episode...

</p>

Re: Tony's Voice

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>Is it just me, or does Tony's voice sound different? Missing from his accent were the typical blue-collar pronunciations. For instance, California Tony says "bar" wereas the NJ Tony would say "bah." California Tony says "going home" and NJ Tony says "goin' home."<hr></blockquote>

The voice that Dream Sequence Tony speaks in is closer to JG's natural speaking voice than the "Tony Soprano" voice that he uses while acting the role. I agree that he does seem to lapse into the "real" Tony's voice more than once in the dream sequence. Unless that was a slip-up by the actor, it could be attributed to Dream Sequence Tony also being from New Jersey.

I interpreted that voice as another manifestation of Tony's fantasy to live a life completely different than the one that he has been living.

</p>

The definitive answer, from a NY Post article:
Viewer guesses have centered on at least four possibilities - Charmaine Bucco (Kathrine Narducci), who once admitted to Carmela that she and Tony slept together before he and Carmela were married; the late Adrianna La Cerva (Drea de Matteo); Tony's late girlfriend, Gloria Trillo (Annabella Sciorra); and even Carmela, with Falco disguising her voice.

Yesterday, however, HBO confirmed it was none of the above, but declined to reveal the identity of the woman on the phone, saying she was not famous enough to be familiar to "Sopranos" viewers or Post readers.

"They cast an actress to do the voice on the phone," said a spokeswoman. "I have been asked by [the producers] not to divulge the name."
This confirms in more detail exactly what the Star Ledger article said:
The voice of Purgatory Tony's wife wasn't played by Annabella Sciorra, or any other actress who's been on the show before; she's just a generic non-Carmela female voice.
I always thought it was a single voice not belonging to any actress we've ever seen or heard before. But I'm mighty intrigued by the refusal of show honchos to name her. Since she's "not famous", if she had any acting aspirations at all, she'd demand a credit for her resume. I think she would even be entitled to one by SAG rules. So it's interesting that her name was not in the closing credits (which are interesting for other reasons, as well).

I'm going to go out on a wild limb here and guess that the voice belongs to Chase's wife. I've never heard her speak and know nothing about her, except that, IIRC, she and Chase were something like high school sweethearts and married very young. I'm assuming that means she's from NJ. I have a hunch that the real love story between Tony and Carmela -- as it was unmasked in Join the Club -- is inspired by Chase's marriage, thus a perfect tribute for his wife to be the voice of ComaCarm.

Return to “Episode 6.02: Join the Club”