Actual Speaker and Song?

Is the speaker actually William S. Burroughs? Or is it someone else speaking? And does anyone know the song the voice is being spoken over?

I just think it is one of the most mezmerizing montages I have ever seen, especially with the video added.

I too would love to buy a copy of the song and voice over. Anyone know more????

Thanks....

Greg

</p>

Re: Actual Speaker and Song?

I saw this posted on another board with the montages compared to the different 7 souls and its lined up different than the one posted in this thread but this one makes more sense to me, especially the part with Ray, etc.

Seven Souls
By William S. Burroughs

The ancient Egyptians postulated seven souls.

[Shot of Vito, then Janice nursing the baby, then Bobby's model train.]
Top soul, and the first to leave at the moment of death, is Ren, the Secret Name. This corresponds to my Director. He directs the film of your life from conception to death. The Secret Name is the title of your film. When you die, that's where Ren came in.

[Shot of Bobby, then to Gene and his wife reading about Gene's inheritance]
Second soul, and second one off the sinking ship, is Sekem: Energy, Power, Light. The Director gives the orders, Sekem presses the right buttons.

[Meadow, dancing for Finn]
Number three is Khu, the Guardian Angel. He, she, or it is third man out ... depicted as flying away across a full moon, a bird with luminous wings and head of light. Sort of thing you might see on a screen in an Indian restaurant in Panama. The Khu is responsible for the subject and can be injured in his defense-but not permanently, since the first three souls are eternal. They go back to Heaven for another vessel. The four remaining souls must take their chances with the subject in the Land of the Dead.

[Scene on Ray Curto's tv set, then of Ray on his exercise bike]
Number four is Ba, the Heart, often treacherous. This is a hawk's body with your face on it, shrunk down to the size of a fist. Many a hero has been brought down, like Samson, by a perfidious Ba.

[A.J., apparently in one of his college classes]
Number five is Ka, the Double, most closely associated with the subject. The Ka, which usually reaches adolescence at the time of bodily death, is the only reliable guide through the Land of the Dead to the Western Lands.

[Adrianna, as depicted in Carm's dream. She fades out of the picture.]
Number six is Khaibit, the Shadow, Memory, your whole past conditioning from this and other lives.

[Carm]
Number seven is Sekhu, the Remains.

</p>

Meaning?

As with most of the Soprano's, I wonder what the meaning of this opening monologue is? It probably is playing out on several levels. Preview of the season to come? Or as some have suggested, product placement is prominient in most of the scenes (Nestle Quick, Fedex, TV, walking machine, house/cigarette). Maybe it is about materialism or something also?

And does anyone understand what Burroughs real meaning is in 7 Souls?

</p>

Re: Meaning?

Just a thought.

There are seven souls according to the egyptians. When you die, they leave the body (except Sekhu, I guess, which is the body?), and go to the land of the dead, the Western Lands.

Three of the people associated with souls in the intro are now dead (Gene, Raymond Curto, Adrianna), and therefore are already in the land of the dead.

The easisest way to see it is that three more (Janice, Meadow, AJ) will "go to the land of the dead" later in the season and that Carmella will be spared, since she is the remains.

However, since the land of the dead is called "The Western Lands" it could also mean that they litteraly will move west, i.e. come with Tony into the witness protection program (makes sense, since they are his family). What does not make sense with that theory is why Carmella would stay behind (she is the remains).

Some other thoughts:

Why would Janice be Ren, the director, the one who gives the orders? Also the line "When you die, this is where Ren came in". You could interpret this as Janice giving the order for Tony to be killed (assuming that "you" refers to Tony, the main character), maybe getting Bobby to do it, since he's also in that shot.

You could also note that while Janice is the one who is shown when the name "Ren" is being spoken, Vito is actually the first to appear in the sequence. Maybe he is "the director", i.e. the boss. He talked about being boss in this episode.

By the way, isn't that Bush on the TV that Raymond is watching (not sure)? If so, I guess it is to show that Raymond is working for the government.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p098.ezboard.com/bthechaselounge ... Gribbon</A> at: 3/15/06 10:48 am

2 thoughts on Janice and Ren:

maybe there's a dual meaning here

on one hand, you have Janice, the director of Bobby. Now that she has a baby you can bet her control freak nature is going to go into overdrive big time --- in fact, the next shot of Bobby has him looking/acting like a little kid - ready to be directed. of course, there's also the baby ...

second, on a broader level. maybe Janice is supposed to represent 'the mother' (the 'director') Chase is nothing if not Freudian - this is the symbolic Livia - it starts with her.
she's still directing Tony's psyche (as was made to evident in the Melfi scene)

</p>

My thoughts

1. About Janice and the director of your life....

I wonder if they are speaking of Tony here? That he is the director. It is from the look on her face. Right as the say the director directs your life from conception (baby) to death, she has a look like she is the one being controlled. Maybe by Tony or the baby.

2. Meadow - guardian angel. Wonder if she saves someone?

3. At the beginning, when he is saying the eygptions postulated 7 souls, there are 7 people in that scene. Director + 5 in the background, + Vito.

Then again, maybe it isn't as deep as we all think it is.

However, I think it may be the most mesmerizing episode intro of all time. Almost additive.

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.01: Members Only”