carm's "gay" comments to Tony

At the end of the episode, did anyone else think it was weird that Tony didn't get mad at all at Carm's comments toward him...the scene where he jumped in the pool at home.

He said something like Weg's gay...she retorted, how do you tell? He said "s***ing c**k" is a big clue. She said, do you have inside knowledge of that?

That above is absolutely NOT a direct quote--but the implied content on Carm's part was "takes one to know one" and I was surprised Tony didn't flip out or shoot her a look. I've only watched it once, but Tony seemed very calm.

FlyonMelfi'sWall, please excuse me if I appear to be highjacking your original observation--you picked up on the theme weeks ago, and I just wanted to see if anyone had commented (yet) on that odd exchange/reaction.

Sofia

</p>

Re: carm's "gay" comments to Tony

Sofia, I commented on this exchange in the review thread.

IMO, Tony didn't get upset because Tony himself doesn't have any insecurity about his own sexual orientation and Carm doesn't REALLY doubt it either. Her accusation was just to underscore the fact that he harbors extreme aversion and thinly veiled hostility toward gay people (make that gay MEN), that he relies on often misleading stereotypes in surmising who is gay and who isn't, that he has no way of really knowing who's gay, and that he must have some secret fear he's gay because of the "thou protest too much" preoccupation he demonstrates. Of course, Carm doesn't know that Tony S has shot a couple of puzzled, troubled glances at Tony B in regards to massage therapy, which is what I think her "you must fear something" remark was subtextually meant to reference.

Interesting to note that Tony B is shown answering his cell phone with the "We Are the Champions" ring again in the same episode where Carm throws out her gay accusations to Tony S.

If you put this together with the factors I detailed in previous episode threads, the scent of a major, "surprising" gay revelation involving a stereotypically straight character close to Tony is getting stronger.

Another possible purpose to the scene occurred to me also. AJ came in complaining about school and accused Wegler of putting his "faggy" hand on his shoulder and insinuated it was a pass. Carmela laughed this off because she knew better. But all I could think of was that she wouldn't have been so quick to laugh had she not been screwing the guy secretly. And TONY might have hit the ceiling had he heard this.

So I'm speculating on whether AJ might, out of continued scholastic frustration or some manipulative scheme to try to divert attention away from or excuse the same, might tell Tony that Wegler came on to him sexually, prompting a murderous rage in Tony. Of course Carm's reaction would be interesting, since she could intervene to prove AJ was lying and that Wegler is straight but in the process damn Wegler for having had an affair with her.

All rank speculation at this point, but it's still fun. I have to say, though, that after that exchange between Tony and Carm, I do think the possibility of a surprising gay reveal down the line is now officially more likely than not.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub132.ezboard.com/bsopranolandf ... fisWall</A> at: 4/13/04 2:32 pm

Thanks Salvatore!

thank you slavatore i been meaning to put in a post there is way 2 much talks of oh maybe hes gay maybe hes gay this is sopranos it aint friends thats why i dont watch goofy shows like Friends or any other garbage on tv So lets kill the tralk of ppl that are gay on sopranos no ones gay end of story!

</p>

Well from what I experience

My husband thinks everyone is gay too. He is a very macho type guy and very muscular. He thinks any wimpy looking guy could be gay. He has no gaydar because eveyone is gay like Tonys gaydar. I can see how Tony is the same way. He is a macho type guy. Definitely a manly man like my hubby and not a pretty type boy.

</p>

Re: carm's "gay" comments to Tony

Fly, you wrote:

"AJ came in complaining about school and accused Wegler of putting his "faggy" hand on his shoulder and insinuated it was a pass. Carmela laughed this off because she knew better. But all I could think of was that she wouldn't have been so quick to laugh had she not been screwing the guy secretly. And TONY might have hit the ceiling had he heard this."

ABSOLUTELY.

</p>

gay

"... he harbors extreme aversion and thinly veiled hostility toward gay people (make that gay MEN), that he relies on often misleading stereotypes in surmising who is gay and who isn't..."

Along with seemingly a large portion of posters on this board.

</p>

Return to “Episode 5.06: Sentimental Education”