consigliere?

Silvio is always referred to as Tony's consigliere, but is that really correct? A consigliere doesn't usually get involved with killing, etc.

In the Godfather Tom (Duvall's character) did not do any of this type of task, and it was prominently mentioned when he was kidnapped after Vito was shot.

Your thoughts?

</p>

Re: consigliere?

Your'e right, Rightfielder. Besides, Tom wasn't Italian; he's an Irishman, I believe.

He was made consigliere (pretty close to Spanish consejero (counselor), so it's safe to assume they mean the same thing...) because he gives good (legal) advice.

</p>

Re: consigliere?

when silvio whacked Jimmy Altieri, I don't think Silvio was techinally Tony's consigliere. But now he is and for the most part has kept his fingers cleaned. However, I think every made guy is open for the possibility of whacking another made guy out of obligation to the boss. So maybe in those future scenes Silvio is going after a made guy. Regardless, even Tony, NJ boss , whacks an associate Matthew Bevilaqua, granted it was personal with Christopher.

</p>

Sil

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>when silvio whacked Jimmy Altieri, I don't think Silvio was techinally Tony's consigliere. But now he is and for the most part has kept his fingers cleaned.<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, that was my point also.

If Sil whacks someone, it could be because he gets close to the victim or something like that. Remember old man Baccala's final hit? Gigi could've used a younger man, but old Baccala could get close to Mustang Sally.

About that Tom-situation... Tom Hagen had been a member of the Corleone-family since childhood, he probably had an italian-american upbringing. Besides, those days LCN had a lot of guys who weren't italian. There were a lot of jewish and irish gangsters who were major players. (Bugsy Siegel, Dutch Schultz, Mickey Cohen, Meyer Lansky etc)

</p>

Re: Sil

Yes, Tom Hagen did have an Italian-American upringing--he is the adopted son of Vito Corleone.

Hmmm...Was it even called La Cosa Nostra back then? I mean, as you have already pointed out, it'd be a misnomer with all those Jews. (By the way...Not one of the guys you named off was Irish. I'm sure the Irish played some role for the Mob, but I doubt there were any "players.")

</p>

Return to “Episode 5.01: Two Tonys”