A Little Christmas Present for Chase Loungers

Those who were around in 2007 will recall the Chase Lounge gathering that was planned to coincide roughly with the airing of Made in America and to serve essentially as a tribute to David Chase. I was communicating with his assistant to secure his participation, and while he was reportedly always very open to the idea and desirous of accommodating us, the timing never seemed to work out between his extended retreat to France right before the finale aired and his involvement as defendant in a (bogus) lawsuit later in the year, after which time the project lost steam.

But in the spring prior to the finale, I'd started putting together ideas and content for the gathering, and that included a short spoof script imagining a "sitdown" meeting between Tony Soprano and Michael Corleone. I was combing actor websites looking for guys who could play the parts and even entertained somewhere in the wildest parts of my imagination that I could interest James Gandolfini and Al Pacino themselves to put those two most iconic characters of the gangster genre in the same film.

As part of the project, I arranged, performed (with help from my nephew on vocals), and recorded a hybrid musical piece that was to serve as the opening and closing soundtrack for the film. So even though the script was never filmed, the music was completed and has just sat gathering dust since. I always knew I would share it here one day but until James Gandolfini died, there was always some tiny little voice that told me to wait, that perhaps one day I could film the script and present it with the soundtrack in place at an anniversary or similar event honoring Chase and the Sopranos. Obviously that will never happen now, at least not with JG's participation.

When I finally designed and opened a website last month to share some of my video production work and announce the new direction it took last year, I used the music I'd crafted for the film short as the soundtrack for a demo reel of my compositing and motion graphics work. So I'm posting links to it below. The first is on my own website, the second on youtube in case you want to share it with others there. It looks better on my website (if you have a fast connection) because it's hosted there in HD through vimeo. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it.:-) Merry Christmas!

Triumvirate Filmworks - Compositing and Motion Graphics 2001-12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVuOmd2oWTA
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Re: A Little Christmas Present for Chase Loungers

Thanks, bloodshot, and Merry Christmas right back at you.:smile:

As for the gathering happening one day, you never know. I'm actually thinking about moving to NYC, and that would certainly make the logistics easier for me to navigate. Seeing how quickly the last 6.5 years has flown by, I suppose it's not really that far off to start thinking 10th anniversary.:wink:
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Return to “Music on The Sopranos”