WTF?

Last night I was flicking through TV, and I came across The Sopranos on More 4. More 4 is owned by channel 4 (British channel if you don't know). Pax Soprano was on, the channel started to show the sopranos every night at 12, form beginning to end. The episode was almost over so I decided to watch the rest of it. Remembering the end in particular was great, with the song papparazzi by xzibit. Link; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUbUW6XfNhU

Anyway I think this ending is great, the music really makes it. But on More 4 the ending was changed. The music was completely different, some random generic hip hop beat. Which ruined the last scene of the show. Whats the deal? Is their multiple versions of this episode? The whole episode up to that point seemed the same except for the final song. Why would they change the song from great to shit for British TV? It doesn't make sense. I have the proper ending on my DVD (bought in Ireland), so it makes even less sense that the Irish and British version would be different. Btw, Channel 4 has treated The Sopranos like shit. I remember they got Series 6 part 1 like 6 months after the Irish channels got it.

So does anyone know what the deal is?

Re: WTF?

I couldn't offer any explanation for that, but I agree - That sucks! The "Paparazzi" instrumental is great, and totally makes the end of that episode. It's too bad that there are people tuned into More4 that will never realize they were served a generic version.

Then again, it's no different than people stateside trying to get into the A&E version.

I wonder if there are other weird edits throughout the episodes, as More4 shows them.

I've not yet seen an episode on More4, I keep meaning to, but my early work starts means I'm usually in bed (they're shown at about midnight).

Channel 4 has been shocking with the Sopranos. I have no idea why they didn't show the final 9 in syndication with the rest of the world.

Surely the series would have had more of a global impact if it was shown at the same time around the world.

As it was shown, I, along with many others, knew how it would end as BBC ran a story on it in June.

It kind of ruined the surprise of it all.

So you actually watched a story about the finale before you watched it? Lame.
My Uncle was several episodes behind after it finished and he avoided every piece of sopranos related news for weeks, I would of done the same.
I downloaded it every Monday morning from America, so nothing was spoiled for me. The final 9 started on RTE not long after it started in the states, it was on about the third episode as it was finishing in the states.

So nobody knows why More 4 has the tard version of Pax Soprano? As I said before it doesn't make sense to have a different version, especially since Ireland has the proper versions. I also doubt David Chase would create slightly different versions with rubbish music. You think Channel 4 would show the sopranos more respect considering it voted it as the #1 Drama of all time. Load of bullshit, its like they just voted it #1 because other media outlets said it was good. I obviously love the show, but don't say its number #1 if you don't think so, just for the sake of following the pack. Mindless stupid Media.

Irishwiseguy i totally agree.

I watched the 100 greatest dramas on c4 months ago and they had The Sopranos at number 1 yet treat it like some unwanted crap!!!

Sticking it on at 10 on a sunday nite and then even pushing it back to 10:30!! Scandalous!

I have never understood why it has been treated so badly. When it was first aired on c4 it got a 10 o'clock slot on a thursday and it stayed that way the whole season. There were regular trailers and plenty of advertisement then suddenly boom its on at 12 midnight.

The only reason i can think of for the different music was that it may be the version from the A&E channel? Think this was a toned down version of sopranos??

Maybe thats it- the A&E version.

i watched part of an episode to check out what the A&E version would be like, and it was unbelievably bad. It was the ep where Carm and Father Intintola were having dinner, and Carm tells him how she "met someone" (lame highschool teacher). Then the priest judgementally puts her down about acting on her intimate feelings for the man while still married to Tony and implies she has to control her urges/desires. Carm then asks him why God would give her the feelings in the first place, blah, blah, blah, etc... Meanwhile, the waiter is asking the priest if he wants more fresh ground pepper on his food. In the originally-aired version, the priest nods yes, and the waiter keeps peppering and peppering, and the priest doesn't tell him to stop, just stares ahead in anticipation of consuming and indulging in his own excessive desires while admonishing Carm not to do the same. The way the camera held that scene of the overly long pepper-treatment was priceless in illustrating his hipocracy! Perfectly done and written in the best form.

Well- in the A&E version, the waiter had barely begun to do the peppering, and-Wham! Cut to commercial. The subtlety of the point of the scene was completely lost and the viewer got robbed. i just can't believe that this is o.k. with Chase! It would be better if they just made the show an hour and a half if they have to fill it with their commercials and at least left the show intact. It was so badly edited that i couldn't believe my eyes. A small point, yes- but its those little, subtle small scenes and important points made not so obvious that really made the show. So anyone watching A&E will really be missing out on that aspect of the revealing of the priest's character, which relates to how his relationship with Carmella evolved and devolved. i couldn't stand another minute of it- had to turn it off immediately! :icon_confused:

No, I didn't watch anything of it, and I tried to avoid eveything but there was a story on BBC News website that was emailed to me, I didn't know what the story was until I opened it, and it started with the lines 'American electricity suppliers blamed for blackout at end of Sopranos', it then went on to tell the story.

I didn't know how it came about, but I obviously knew it would just cut to black.

badabellisima wrote:Maybe thats it- the A&E version.

i watched part of an episode to check out what the A&E version would be like, and it was unbelievably bad. It was the ep where Carm and Father Intintola were having dinner, and Carm tells him how she "met someone" (lame highschool teacher). Then the priest judgementally puts her down about acting on her intimate feelings for the man while still married to Tony and implies she has to control her urges/desires. Carm then asks him why God would give her the feelings in the first place, blah, blah, blah, etc... Meanwhile, the waiter is asking the priest if he wants more fresh ground pepper on his food. In the originally-aired version, the priest nods yes, and the waiter keeps peppering and peppering, and the priest doesn't tell him to stop, just stares ahead in anticipation of consuming and indulging in his own excessive desires while admonishing Carm not to do the same. The way the camera held that scene of the overly long pepper-treatment was priceless in illustrating his hipocracy! Perfectly done and written in the best form.

Well- in the A&E version, the waiter had barely begun to do the peppering, and-Wham! Cut to commercial. The subtlety of the point of the scene was completely lost and the viewer got robbed. i just can't believe that this is o.k. with Chase! It would be better if they just made the show an hour and a half if they have to fill it with their commercials and at least left the show intact. It was so badly edited that i couldn't believe my eyes. A small point, yes- but its those little, subtle small scenes and important points made not so obvious that really made the show. So anyone watching A&E will really be missing out on that aspect of the revealing of the priest's character, which relates to how his relationship with Carmella evolved and devolved. i couldn't stand another minute of it- had to turn it off immediately! :icon_confused:
That fucking sucks. It was also weird watching the show again with commercials. The show wasn't designed that way unlike shows like Prison break where they have the intro music play ever 5 minutes for commercials.
It sucks that the show was sold to A&E, isn't there like no cursing as well on A&E? How is that possible? Every fucking second word is a curse.

Return to “Music on The Sopranos”