Re: Adriana driving alone.

What do you say to the friend who's driving you to your execution?

What I love about this scene, and what makes it almost unbearable to watch, is how they both keep up the facade until the end. For Sil that's to be expected, he's a soldier, this is his job, but it fascinates me that Ade plays along. I find this very realistic. I think many people in that situation would find it hard to break away from the expected social choreography and scream or plead. Or maybe she was just in denial, hoping until the end that her gut was wrong and Chrissie was waiting for her.

Perhaps the most poignant moment of the show.

This moment also points out one of the most reoccuring themes of The Sopranos. How staying complacent and going with the flow of life is incredibly easier than making a change in your life and doing something about it. The moment with Ade in the car (not so subtly) shows the errors of our cast of characters and how willing they are to stick to the path they are on instead of stepping out of their safety zone.

Garth wrote:This moment also points out one of the most reoccuring themes of The Sopranos. How staying complacent and going with the flow of life is incredibly easier than making a change in your life and doing something about it. The moment with Ade in the car (not so subtly) shows the errors of our cast of characters and how willing they are to stick to the path they are on instead of stepping out of your safety zone.
On the whole I agree with you, but in fairness to Ade, I think she did the best with her limited brain power to convince Chrissie to get out of the life, if only after the Feds started squeezing her.

For me, Ade's defining moment was when she ran back to her mother's house after Chrissie had beaten the shit out of her. He shows up, almost breaks down the front door, pushes her mother while cursing her out, and presents Ade with an (obviously stolen) huge diamond ring. She folds. For all the talk of innocence, that's Ade in a nutshell. Dumb as a bag of hair, but no more innocent than Carmela.

SacredPropane wrote:On the whole I agree with you, but in fairness to Ade, I think she did the best with her limited brain power to convince Chrissie to get out of the life, if only after the Feds started squeezing her.

For me, Ade's defining moment was when she ran back to her mother's house after Chrissie had beaten the shit out of her. He shows up, almost breaks down the front door, pushes her mother while cursing her out, and presents Ade with an (obviously stolen) huge diamond ring. She folds. For all the talk of innocence, that's Ade in a nutshell. Dumb as a bag of hair, but no more innocent than Carmela.
Oh I wasn't saying anything negative about her. But I agree that her chance at turning away from the mob-life and its repercussions was in the scene you mentioned. After that it was pretty much over. Its interesting that you compare her to Carmela. They are both incredibly stuck but on different ends. Ade is young and trying to find love and security, so she is grasping on to Chris, even after he barges in like you mentioned. Carmela has already found that and is now stuck on the other end where she can't really, give it all up and just walk away to be her own woman. I mean...physically of course she could, but it just isn't in Carmela's make-up (pun not intended) to do that.

Return to “Episode 5.12: Long Term Parking”