Re: James Gandolfini Dead!

What a punch to the gut. I am reeling from the blow.

Not a week goes by that I don't reference the Sopranos to my friends. Just did last night, actually.

"Who am I? Where I am going?" Gives me chills right now...

A few stray thoughts:

Couldn't help but think of that scene in Season Five when Tony B and Christopher are digging that grave at Uncle (name escapes me right now)'s farm. Christopher says something like, 'T's a heart attack waiting to happen."

A friend texted me a couple hours ago: "Tony Soprano is dead." She was just a few episodes away from the finale, so I thought she had finally finished the series. I wrote back "I thought the same thing. I know he got popped in the head." Only to get the reply, "NO, the ACTOR is dead. Thanks for ruining the ending." My heart sank.

Saw Killing Them Softly the other night and as usual, Jim killed it.

We lost a giant today.

Been meaning to for months, but I'm gonna track down "Not Fade Away" at Redbox right NOW.

RIP.

Oh, and I'm so thankful this wonderful site is still around to honor Jim. I still visit here at least once a week, if not more when I'm watching the series (just finished I think my fifth run through the series, thanks to the HBO SG reruns). And I will be checking this thread a lot in the coming days and weeks.
"When my time comes, tell me, will I stand up?"

all of you guys have been articulating the feelings inside me that I can't get into words. James' abilities were like nothing I've ever seen. Astonishing. it breaks my heart. i am so sad to think about how many other hearts are broken. I can't wrap my mind around this. The first sentence in my head after "no NO" was "what does this mean?" its still in my head. i don't know if that makes any sense.

mutualdream wrote: I'm gonna track down "Not Fade Away" at Redbox right NOW.

I have this in my DVD player. But I can't bring myself to press play.

Well, it's gotta be better than watching clips of Jim on Showbiz Tonight, right?

Fuck it. I wanna hear some rock 'n' roll.

And then I'm gonna listen to Howlin' Wolf's "Goin Down Slow" (which is the best part of the "Chasing It" episode) before bedtime:

"I have had my fun, if I never get well no mo'."
"When my time comes, tell me, will I stand up?"

Good plan, mutual dream. I'm gonna track down that movie too. I should have watched it long before now, but life kept getting in the way. More than it just being Chase's first real feature, I now think of it as his last work with JG.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

It's been a very long time since I have been here. After the initial shock I knew I had to come here. I am still in disbelief. I normally do not get distraught when a famous person passes away but the death of James Gandolfini has left a deep impact on me.

The Sopranos is my favorite tv show and the show would not have been the same had it not been for James. He truly was larger than life. I am currently watching the episode Members Only and ironically Vito said (pertaining to,Tony) "God forbid he has a heart attack". This triggers a scene from Test Dream when Tony was looking at himself on tv and Carmela said something to the affect "are you kidding this is your life". Symbolism in real life.

Looking at James he will never be gone and never forgotten.

One of the poignant dimensions of this is the fact that so many who haven't been to the forum in years have come by just to experience a shared moment of grief. Even though saddened by the reason, I'm so glad for that. It reminds me of the "golden days" of the forum when there was such excitement at sharing opinions, perspectives, and analyses after a new episode of the show aired.

It also reminds me of how great art creates community, how one fictional character can become the screen on which all kinds of projections can be made and all kinds of personal crucibles stimulated, consciously or unconsciously. As far as I know, none of us knew James G. personally, but we all knew very intimately and very personally his creative outpouring and the core aspects of himself that he courageously displayed to the public in service of an immortal dramatic and psychological study of one very flawed but still lovable human being. That's an amazing gift to offer to the world.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Gandolfini and the writers gave us such a deep glimpse into Tony, his inner feelings, mundane routines, loves, hatreds, habits, tics, everything. For 86 hours we live alongside this man, so intricately rendered and filled with life and charm and reality by James. Even though Tony is a bad person, evil even, when you get down to it, Tony as played by JG was the most fascinatingly complex, multi layered, human character ever on television... and really, who in film can compare with this monumental 86 hour development?

We feel like we know Tony. We like or even love him, because we see so much humanity in those eyes and that face. The Sopranos was a humanist masterwork that asked us to see the human and the good in even the most rotten people. Tony more than anyone else.

So with the loss of JG its as if a great soul has been extinguished. As Tony, he radiated pathos even after brutal murder. This is James' gift to us. This is why we all feel so gutted. We knew Tony, we knew JGs kind and compassiinate eyes behind the sociopathic mask. We lived with him for 7 years.

Now he's gone. RIP James. No other actor embodied a character for so long and to such terrific effect. It is, for me, the greatest performance by any actor of the past several decades, at least.

Thanks, James. And please give Nancy our regards.

Return to “James Gandolfini Remembered”