How would you grade this episode on a 1-10 scale (10 being the best possible quality)

Total votes: 0

Re: Episode 4.09: Whoever Did This - Grades & General Review

i noticed something when watching this. When the tractor is pulling away the dead horse and Tony is just watching in greif --- it seemed very similar to the scene in the 3rd season when Livia dies and the ambulance is pulling out of the driveway and driving off -- Tony is just watching with grief as they cart her away.

ALSO, when the ambulance is going down the street, they show a kid and a dog and the dog is just barking kind of at the ambluance. It seems like the camera stays on the dog long enough to show that it has some meaning. Well, when the tractor is hauling away the dead horse -- all of a sudden we see the little goat that was always around and the camera stays on it while it just "baaaaaaas" for a few seconds. And Tony just starts looking at it.

I have to believe that this was an intentioal coincidence in two very similar scenes.

Interesting observation. Never thought of it in relation to the Livia ambulance scene.

The goat thing always struck me as a very sad image. From what I hear, a lot of race horses have companion animals of some kind (often other horses but not always). In the show, they make specific mention of the goat as Pie-O-My's companion animal. It seemed to be "crying" when the dead horse was dragged away, and Tony was no doubt crying on the inside.

Probably too much projection on my part, but, to me, the goat seemed almost a symbolic extension of Tony in relation to the horse. The horse was this beautiful, well-bred, graceful and refined animal. Tony was this unrefined brute with a lousy pedigree. He smiled when the goat entered the stall the night Pie O My was sick, perhaps in some moment of subliminal self-recognition or as if to acknowledge that it was okay for the two mutts to be there with her.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:Interesting observation. Never thought of it in relation to the Livia ambulance scene.

The goat thing always struck me as a very sad image. From what I hear, a lot of race horses have companion animals of some kind (often other horses but not always). In the show, they make specific mention of the goat as Pie-O-My's companion animal. It seemed to be "crying" when the dead horse was dragged away, and Tony was no doubt crying on the inside.

Probably too much projection on my part, but, to me, the goat seemed almost a symbolic extension of Tony in relation to the horse. The horse was this beautiful, well-bred, graceful and refined animal. Tony was this unrefined brute with a lousy pedigree. He smiled when the goat entered the stall the night Pie O My was sick, perhaps in some moment of subliminal self-recognition or as if to acknowledge that it was okay for the two mutts to be there with her.

Good points -- yea, right when i saw them drag the horse away i immediately thought of the ambulance scene. Then i said to myslef "i bet they show that goat" and a second later he was there. So yea, i see a direct connection with the two scenes and like I said - I dont think its a coincidence either.

zep41 wrote:i noticed something when watching this. When the tractor is pulling away the dead horse and Tony is just watching in greif --- it seemed very similar to the scene in the 3rd season when Livia dies and the ambulance is pulling out of the driveway and driving off -- Tony is just watching with grief as they cart her away.

ALSO, when the ambulance is going down the street, they show a kid and a dog and the dog is just barking kind of at the ambluance. It seems like the camera stays on the dog long enough to show that it has some meaning. Well, when the tractor is hauling away the dead horse -- all of a sudden we see the little goat that was always around and the camera stays on it while it just "baaaaaaas" for a few seconds. And Tony just starts looking at it.

I have to believe that this was an intentioal coincidence in two very similar scenes.
Huh. That isn't how I remember Livia's death episode at all. As I recall, the ambulance is pulling away when Tony and Carmela arrive at the house - Tony can't watch with grief because he's driving his own car. I'll have to review the episode to double check, but I have a pretty strong memory of it playing out that way.

jouster wrote:Huh. That isn't how I remember Livia's death episode at all. As I recall, the ambulance is pulling away when Tony and Carmela arrive at the house - Tony can't watch with grief because he's driving his own car. I'll have to review the episode to double check, but I have a pretty strong memory of it playing out that way.
he doesnt see her but as the ambulance is driving away he gets out of his car and kinda slowly walks after the ambulance as it drives down the street. Then there is a small dog barking and the camera seems to stay on it long enough to conclude that it was intentional to have the viewer focus on the dog.

Return to “Episode 4.09: Whoever Did This”