How would you grade this episode on a 1-10 scale (10 being the best possible quality)

Total votes: 0

Re: Episode 4.01: For All Debts Public and Private - Grades

Pussy_Malanga wrote:just watched this episode again. at the point chris turns the TV up, the show Magnum is playing in the background. I can clearly hear the line 'you are under arrest Mr FINNERTY, for impersonating a police officer'

coincidence ??
Pussy, I'm positive there is discussion of this very point in other threads, although I can't recall which one(s) off hand. But if you search the forum, you should be able to pull them up. So the short answer is, yes, some other folks caught this, too.

I don't know whether it's a coincidence, and, even if it's not, I don't think it's terribly potent subtext. But I do believe Chase plotted his ultimate ending (which would include Tony killing Christopher) when he was writing season 4. That, I believe, is where he firmly understood where he was going, and that's why you have references in season 4 to things that sound decidedly un-coincidental in retrospect (e.g., in Whoever Did This and Strong, Silent Type).
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:Pussy, I'm positive there is discussion of this very point in other threads, although I can't recall which one(s) off hand. But if you search the forum, you should be able to pull them up. So the short answer is, yes, some other folks caught this, too.

I don't know whether it's a coincidence, and, even if it's not, I don't think it's terribly potent subtext. But I do believe Chase plotted his ultimate ending (which would include Tony killing Christopher) when he was writing season 4. That, I believe, is where he firmly understood where he was going, and that's why you have references in season 4 to things that sound decidedly un-coincidental in retrospect (e.g., in Whoever Did This and Strong, Silent Type).

the more i think about it, magnum is being pulled about impersonating a police officer (finnerty). i guess you could say that tony was also pretending to be someone when he was dreaming of being kevin finnerty..

sure wish i had found this forum when the series was being aired...

I actually went ahead and not only found the episode of "Magnum P.I." that was on the television, but watched it. One of the things that surprised me the most was the fact that "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" is actually coming from Haydu, not the TV. I was convinced for years that it was the audio from the show all this time, but there's nothing like that in the episode, much less that scene.

This is interesting because, while not necessarily proving Haydu killed Dickie, it's a good chance Tony wasn't lying for once. He was either apologizing for the hit, or it's just what came out of his mouth in a panic as he crawled away.

And yes, you're right about the Finnerty thing.
What violin?!

dsweeney wrote:As an aside to this, I believe this was the beginning of the end for Tony. An earlier Tony would never have directly involved himself with something like this. And then a hit tied in as well ? No way. He then falls out with Hesh over gambling debts. Murders Chris. Devours his soul by " taking care of Chris's business" in the desert. I personally believe this was an effort by Chase to ensure we DON'T care about Tony at the end. I know he said in an interview that he believed Tony to be bad from day one and DIDN'T become worse as the show progressed but I think most people agree he DID become worse. Utterly degenerate, morally null and void and without any redeeming qualities whatsoever by the show's end.
good point. Watching the series on HBO for the second time, you see the progression, Tony gets worse as the show goes along. Its interesting watching him juggle all these different aspect of his life, his wife, showing up to the hospital a lot, kids, and work.

Barryrock2 wrote:good point. Watching the series on HBO for the second time, you see the progression, Tony gets worse as the show goes along. Its interesting watching him juggle all these different aspect of his life, his wife, showing up to the hospital a lot, kids, and work.
Not sure I agree that he got any worse. After all, he would have suffocated his own mother with a pillow in Season 1, if he hadn't been prevented. Oh, right, he just needed the pillow to "occupy his hands", LOL... Suffocating junkie Chris kinda seems tame compared to that. I tend to agree with Chase.
Historically, that's been the case.

Return to “Episode 4.01: For All Debts Public and Private”