Fran as Exner...

I am loving how the writers created Fran as a Judith Exner type character. JE was an alleged Kennedy girlfriend as well as the reputed gf of Sam Giancana (hence the mafia-inspired conspiracy theory behind assassination.) The whole "Happy Birthday, Mr. President/Monroe thing," and Kennedy/Camelot mystique theme were really very clever. Admittedly, this theme/episode may have dragged for some, but it was amusing to weave storyline of TS's fondness for JFK with an old goomar just like the quietly legendary goomar of the Kennedy era.

</p>

Judith Exner/Courtesan theme

...that (Campbell reference) slipped by me. Thank you!

...also, enjoyed how Fran was portrayed as the cultivated courtesan. This is neither to validate nor repudiate her morality, mind you. However, she and the "kept women" of a certain age were more like geishas than the their more contemporary counterparts. She had cultivated a way of living which is shrouded in mystique: always immaculately coiffed, made-up, dressed; sumptuous foods and liquors; exaggerated attention to male ego and sensual domicile. Exquisitely fascinating, albeit in an anti-feminist and anti-mental health sort of way

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub132.ezboard.com/bsopranolandf ... vingEgo</A> at: 4/19/04 1:02 pm

Re: Exner/Camelot

Sharp stuff. I thought one of this episode's themes was the power of myth. Our own internal myths (Tony's view of his mother and father), and the external ones we create like the Kennedys, and the whole Camelot thing (like Fran, faded and tacky and kinda creepy).

</p>

Narrative Psychology...?

There exists a post-modern realm of psychology known as the Narrative School. This realm is neither insight-based, nor diagnostic/medical model in nature. Rather, it uses the patient's myths and self stories as well as the cross-generational transmission of family "truths" as the basis for therapy. I agree, Virgorish, that the exploration of Tony's internal and external mythology system would be interesting....and more importantly really challenge Tony on many of what he holds as "truths." Melfi by training is strictly psychoanalytic; however, many therapists can successfully weave several modalities artfully without bastardizing their primary theoretical point of view.

</p>

"Crazy Passion" - "Amour Fou" Reference

Who remembers the Tony-Melfi session in which Jennifer describes the affair between Gloria Trillo and Tony as being "amour fou"...crazy (wild, passionate, uninhibited) love? I ask because in "In Camelot," Fran describes her lovemaking with JFK as "Crazy Passion," underscoring not only her earlier comment about making "a powerful man feel powerful," but also reviving the Melfi-type description of reckless, abandoned "love" relationships...

I am not suggesting/envisioning a Trillo-type ending for Fran, but merely noting passion parallels, the allure of the courtesan, and the renovation of a theme...

Anyone notice this? Comments?

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub132.ezboard.com/bsopranolandf ... vingEgo</A> at: 4/21/04 10:53 am

amour fou

Sure, I think the parallels may well be there. Fran is a "type"...as Gloria was, as Irina was, as Valentina is. All of the comares try to deal their physicality or seductiveness into something permanent, or lasting: for Fran, it was a piece of the track action, for Gloria and Irina, it was attention for Tony. Valentina's trying to get an "I love you" out of Tony. They are doing what Wegler accused Carm of: trading p*ssy for favors.

When she looked into the mirror with the hat on, did Fran see a 70-something year old? No, she saw someone on par with Marilyn.

Poor her.

</p>

Return to “Episode 5.07: In Camelot”