Re: ...

The kid who played the young Tony looked nothing like him--and was ridiculously scrawny to boot. Tony once said, about Janice, "She thinks I'm still a little f*ckin' fat kid", which I think proves he had to have been at least a little pudgy. And remember the flashback in Season 3, when a young Tony saw his father chop off old man Satriale's finger over a gambling debt? That Tony was damn chubby. What the hell was with the scrawny teenaged Tony--who, by the way, apart from adressing Livia as "Ma", didn't even seem to speak with a Jersey Italian accent?

</p>

Re: ...

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>What the hell was with the scrawny teenaged Tony--who, by the way, apart from adressing Livia as "Ma", didn't even seem to speak with a Jersey Italian accent?<hr></blockquote>

That was one of the things I noticed too, I was not sold on that at all...

</p>

I'm sure the casting choice was very deliberate.

I've already read tens of posts on other sites about this issue with personal testaments by now fat or obese men who were stringbeans as teenagers. My own father, who was obese for most of his life past the age of 35 or so, was quite thin as a teen.

Robert Iler is a further example of how the body shapes of adolescents can change dramatically during those teenaged growth spurts. The kid was positively chubby at 13-14 and is now quite thin. So I think deliberately choosing a thin teenaged Tony may have been to mimic what we see in AJ as well as to comment subtly on what 20 years of debauchery on Italian food can do to you after your metabolism slows down a bit.

I also thought it was kinda suggestive that young Tony was watching the old detective show Canon, LOL. I was struck at the superficial resemblance between the guy that played him and James Gandolfini. So perhaps a little foreshadowing in reverse.:-)

</p>

Return to “Episode 5.07: In Camelot”