Re: Mad Men Season 5

So...what did we think?

The best way to put it was that I thought it was an entertaining premiere. I think other premieres have felt a little more... I dunno...substantial? I didn't think there was too much to really digest & pour over.

I suppose them delving into the civil rights movement (which they definitely do appear to be doing) could be interesting. And I guess the different dynamics at he office now introduced by Don and his wife at work could be something.

I will say that the Harry & Roger negotiation was one of the funnier things the show has done.

Yes it is mighty quiet around here. Just came in to have a look if anyone was discussing season 5. It does appear to be quite an exceptional season thus far. You really think you are peering into the sixties instead of watching a recreation.

Can I also recommend Edie Falco's Nurse Jackie. She really is an outstanding actress whichever role she plays.

Conkom -- I have never watched NJ, but I love Falco as an actor tremedously. Wil have to look into it eventually.

Last episode of MM was a particular favorite of mine, probably my favorite since The Suitcase. Loved the use of Pet Sounds in the LSD scene! I wish the show had more of a music budget to delve into the music of that period a bit more, but that was great.

I have to agree about the episode - Far Away Places - psychedelic and had a Rashomon feel about it.

Curiously I can't think of a single episode of, or a sequence in the Sopranos that employed the latter technique. Invariably it was a single individual's POV of any plot incident, and mostly from Tony's perspective.

conkom wrote:I have to agree about the episode - Far Away Places - psychedelic and had a Rashomon feel about it.

Curiously I can't think of a single episode of, or a sequence in the Sopranos that employed the latter technique. Invariably it was a single individual's POV of any plot incident, and mostly from Tony's perspective.
I thought it was the best episode of the season thus far. Kind of a Pulp Fiction thing going on. I've never seen Rashomon, is that similar in technique?
Historically, that's been the case.

[quote="AJColossal"]

Hey AJ. Not much discussion here on what has been an outstanding season. You of course caught the Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows" a few episodes ago. That must of cost Weiner and AMC a packet.

One more episode before the season finale. Well onward to the Boardwalk.

AJColossal wrote: Last episode of MM was a particular favorite of mine, probably my favorite since The Suitcase. Loved the use of Pet Sounds in the LSD scene! I wish the show had more of a music budget to delve into the music of that period a bit more, but that was great.
Hey AJ. Not much discussion here on what has been an outstanding season. You of course caught the Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows" a few episodes ago. That must of cost Weiner and AMC a packet.

One more episode before the season finale. Well onward to the Boardwalk.

Conkom-

Yes, every season discussion of MM here gets a little quiter, which is too bad.

I enjoyed season 5. I liked the fact that the show took more chances thematically, which I think more or less captured the spirit of the times.

The finale was a little downbeat, and a lot of the "Is this all there is?" melancholy of the season felt like the series as a whole is winding down. Hopefully things pick up a little in the last two seasons in that regard.

Return to “Mad Men”